Brian Burke coming on CKNW just after 10pm PST / 1am EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
PepNCheese said:
It really wasn't as one-sided as you guys are making it out to be.

No no, don't you see? Everything is a competition on HF Boards. If it can't be broken down into someone being "pwned!!!!", then its not worth discussing. A sad display in a thread concerning a guy (Brian Burke) who deserves reasoned debate. Apologies to those of you who did take the strong points Burke made and attempted to make a solid discussion out of it.

The Counterstrike-fication of the Business Board is regrettable.

J-D

Feb 27, 2002
the dizzle!
Visit site
To me the host was an uninformed person who would downgrade Bettman just for his public image and his uninformed personal (and listeners') view of him. That's why it was one against the other, and yes it was one-sided.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
bcrt2000 said:
My point is Russell would ask a question, and Burke started to talk, and Russell didn't like what he was hearing and kept cutting him off and then asking the same question again, and then cutting him off again. Thats not how you interview someone. When you do an interview, its the guest that people want to listen to, not the host.

Sounds like Bill "O'Really" on Fox

:lol

Sorry

bad joke

but thats what American media is right now... soo

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Didn't everyone here love it when the host on WFAN kept interrupting Goodenow every 3 seconds after he'd ask a question? Everyone talked about how that interviewed ruled cause of it, now Russell does it and thats "not how you interview."

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
Drury_Sakic said:
Sounds like Bill "O'Really" on Fox

Sorry

bad joke

but thats what American media is right now... soo

LOL. You hit the nail on the head!

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
PeterSidorkiewicz said:
Didn't everyone here love it when the host on WFAN kept interrupting Goodenow every 3 seconds after he'd ask a question? Everyone talked about how that interviewed ruled cause of it, now Russell does it and thats "not how you interview."
We never said that. We at HFboards just like a good pwning. It's just unfortunate that the Pro-PAers took the stance that they did.

Wetcoaster

What is new?

They have sniped at one another for over 15 years.

Russell had a great time poking fun at Burkie after he loudly proclaimed victory in the Krutov transfer fee dispute on SportsTalk - problem was Burkie should have actually waited for the decision of the arbitrator who had slightly different version of events and ruled against the Canucks.

As a result Burkie refused to go on the show for a long period of time.

Burkie looked quite foolish - which is nothing new for him when taking on the media if you recall his abortive attempt to get Tony Gallagher fired as hockey columnist for the Province newspaper. The editor of the Province published the written demand for Gallagher's removal on the front page and his response included a classic observation - the Canucks had no business telling him who to assign to write for the newspaper as he had no right to prepare the lineup card for theCanucks.

Burkie has done other similar things in the past such as banning reporter Mike Beamish because he wrote uncomplimentary stories. For Burkie the truth hurts.

Burkie can dish it out - he cannot take it. Eventually the bluff and bluster catches up to him as when he was recently let go by Orca Bay.

SPARTAKUS*

Wetcoaster said:
What is new?

They have sniped at one another for over 15 years.

Russell had a great time poking fun at Burkie after he loudly proclaimed victory in the Krutov transfer fee dispute on SportsTalk - problem was Burkie should have actually waited for the decision of the arbitrator who had slightly different version of events and ruled against the Canucks.

As a result Burkie refused to go on the show for a long period of time.

Burkie looked quite foolish - which is nothing new for him when taking on the media if you recall his abortive attempt to get Tony Gallagher fired as hockey columnist for the Province newspaper. The editor of the Province published the written demand for Gallagher's removal on the front page and his response included a classic observation - the Canucks had no business telling him who to assign to write for the newspaper as he had no right to prepare the lineup card for theCanucks.

Burkie has done other similar things in the past such as banning reporter Mike Beamish because he wrote uncomplimentary stories. For Burkie the truth hurts.

Burkie can dish it out - he cannot take it. Eventually the bluff and bluster catches up to him as when he was recently let go by Orca Bay.
Tell me Wetcoaster do you put your NHLPA pj's to go to bed at night? One more question for you. How would you rate Goodenow's job in this dispute?

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Burke is definately a bully that tries to push people around. The man never smiles or laughs, he's just a whining windbag. I guess this is whats wrong with hockey when so many fans look up to this bitter old ***** as a savior.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Kind of like what the NHLPA is doing with journalists/columnists who have written stories that aren't very supportive of their stance? Or not responding or granting interviews to certain members of the media? They have a list of reporters the players are "advised" not to interact with.
So if you are going to talk about one side being able to dish it out and not "take it" ... put into consideration the fact that the NHLPA does the same.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
ScottyBowman said:
Burke is definately a bully that tries to push people around. The man never smiles or laughs, he's just a whining windbag. I guess this is whats wrong with hockey when so many fans look up to this bitter old ***** as a savior.

Yes, that is exactly what is wrong with the business world. We need more people who can smile and laugh. :lol
The man gave an in-depth, inside account of what transpired over the course of last week, something none of us are aware of save for what has been reported from secondary sources. Brian Burke has no agenda... and isn't it funny how the Pro-PA'ers seem to avoid the fact that the NHLPA (or a member) contacted this bitter old man to obtain his help/assistance in this process?

Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

ScottyBowman said:

When was the last time Bowman smiled ?

What a load.

Either way, Burke works high up in the NHL and has a lot of influence. Wetcoaster and you are posting your silly rants on a message board.

Wetcoaster

OTTSENS said:
Tell me Wetcoaster do you put your NHLPA pj's to go to bed at night? One more question for you. How would you rate Goodenow's job in this dispute?
I said nothing about the NHLPA????????????????

How do I rate Goodenow? Let's wait until the process plays out. The last time (1995) virtually evey pundit proclaimed the NHL the winner and look how that turned out.

Wetcoaster

Ziggy Stardust said:
Kind of like what the NHLPA is doing with journalists/columnists who have written stories that aren't very supportive of their stance? Or not responding or granting interviews to certain members of the media? They have a list of reporters the players are "advised" not to interact with.
So if you are going to talk about one side being able to dish it out and not "take it" ... put into consideration the fact that the NHLPA does the same.
Source?????

The NHL has pulled Larry Brooks media access.

Wetcoaster

ODC said:
When was the last time Bowman smiled ?

What a load.

Either way, Burke works high up in the NHL and has a lot of influence. Wetcoaster and you are posting your silly rants on a message board.
Rants = facts.

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
getnziggywidit said:
The last time someone made a judgment on the strength of their opponent and was this wrong was when George Armstrong Custard looked around and said “Hey, where’d all these Indians come from?â€

:lol :lol :lol

Mr Burke is always entertaining.

If you listen to him long enough, he'll say/do something that will probably piss you off.

But those with a thick skin and a sense of humour forgive him because they realize how very few brutally honest, knowledgable, and truly funny.... hockey people are out there.

For a guy that "never smiles or laughs", he sure cracks me up.

And it's a case of laughing with him.

SPARTAKUS*

Wetcoaster said:
I said nothing about the NHLPA????????????????

How do I rate Goodenow? Let's wait until the process plays out. The last time (1995) virtually evey pundit proclaimed the NHL the winner and look how that turned out.
But this is 2005 and this time the owners won't crumble like a house of cards. One more thing How do you think is in the driver seat in terms of having more leverage?

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
habfan4 said:
Great interview, thanks for the link.

I've yet to hear anyone actually answer Burke's "What's plan B for the PA?" question.

the Owners have only drawn 40 mil of the 300 mil emergency fund since the lockout has begun ... the owners are in it for the long haul

habfan4

Jul 16, 2002
Deus Amat Pretzel
Visit site
Joe_Strummer said:
the Owners have only drawn 40 mil of the 300 mil emergency fund since the lockout has begun ... the owners are in it for the long haul

That's my point - where does the PA go from here? Everyone on the planet (except the most myopic PA supporters) knows that the union has shot itself in the foot.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
IceDragoon said:
I don't know what the PA's plans are...
But, I have a hunch that Bobby G is hanging on for as long as he can keep getting a paycheque.
To keep from repeating myself, my reasonings are in my 2 posts here...

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=2541280#post2541280

by the way the BOG/Owners are withdrawing money ... it'll be 5-6 years before the owners come to a breaking point at all ... Goodenow should be fired before then if he thinks the PA is going to outwait the ownership

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Wetcoaster said:
Source?????

The NHL has pulled Larry Brooks media access.

And this would be different from how the NHLPA are keeping tabs on journalists who publish stories they don't like, just to get their players to avoid talking to them?

IceDragoon

Jun 25, 2003
South of Sanity
Visit site
Joe_Strummer said:
by the way the BOG/Owners are withdrawing money ... it'll be 5-6 years before the owners come to a breaking point at all ... Goodenow should be fired before then if he thinks the PA is going to outwait the ownership
It appears that teams are "sucking-it-up" for the good of the game, so to speak.
At some point, the majority of the players are going realize that a very simple hockey adage is true.
"You're only as good as your last game."
Shortly thereafter, I expect BG to disappear.
Except maybe, for the occasional news bites about the legal actions he's pursuing.
;) sorry, couldn't resist
_________

btw - imo
"Burkey" is everything stated above.
In small doses, he can be entertaining.
Especially, when he loses it with "Heals".
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad