Brett Hull or Mike Bossy

Status
Not open for further replies.

KH1

If Mike Bossy either

A) Was healthy throughout his entire career

or

B) Played somewhere in Canada instead of on Long Island

He'd probably be remembered as one of the best players in the history of the game by all posters here. If he had a combination of the two and played for 5-10 more years...he could've been the great one instead of Gretzky.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
King Henry I said:
If Mike Bossy either

A) Was healthy throughout his entire career

or

B) Played somewhere in Canada instead of on Long Island

He'd probably be remembered as one of the best players in the history of the game by all posters here. If he had a combination of the two and played for 5-10 more years...he could've been the great one instead of Gretzky.
Bossy was a key component on four Stanley Cup champions. He won a Conn Smythe. I don't think playing on Long Island hurt his stock at all.

Most posters here view Bossy as one of the top 5 goal scorers ever, a top 5 RW ever and one of the top 15 or 20 players ever.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
King Henry I said:
...he could've been the great one instead of Gretzky.
:shakehead Not even close.

If he played ten more years he might have also scored as many goals as Gretzky but by no means was he HALF the passer that Gretz was, not even close.

AT BEST, Bossy might have been considered better than Howe, as the greatest winger ever, if he'd played 15-20 years. Even if he'd played for the Leafs or Habs.

Mario is the only NHLer whose career and esteem could have eclipsed Gretz's if he'd remained healthy his entire career.

Roger's Pancreas*

I've never had a chance to see the vintage greats like Orr, Bossy, Gretzky, or a healthy Lemieux so the only thing I have to go by are statistics. After looking at Bossy's I'm just amazed, not just by his goal scoring but by his consistency. There were only two years where Bossy didn't play 70+ games and only one who didn't score 50+ goals. That's incredible.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Joe Juneau said:
Who was a better goal scorer ?

Bossy played with Trottier for his entire career.
Hull was with 5 teams and played with more players.
This one is very close and I have to put my allegance to Hull aside and go Bossy, but it is very close.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Panasonic Youth said:
There were only two years where Bossy didn't play 70+ games and only one who didn't score 50+ goals. That's incredible.
Yes. But what is even more incredible is that even if he had scored 50 goals a year, every year, for 18 years, he still wouldn't reach Gretzky's goal totals (not including phenomenal playoff records).

As stated, Bossy was not in Gretzky's league. Nor Mario's.

But in terms of his legacy and legend, Bossy could have been considered a Top-10 or maybe sometimes Top-5 of all time talent, instead of simpy in the middle or end of everyone's Top-50 list.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
While I agree with those here that has Bossy as a better goal scorer than Hull, I think it's much closer than Hullis getting credit for.

I think Bossy would have been the first to pass Howe, but then would have been passed by Gretzky. Hull faced better goaltenders, and played half his career in a more defensive era.
I agree and I am a Blues and Hull fan that voted Bossy. It shouldnt be a runaway though.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Trottier said:
Guilty as accused of romanticizing this sport, that player.

Sure beats posts like:FORSBERG SUCKS! ;)

yeah, it should be:

"Forsberg blows like the wind, gently carressing my hair. He sucks like the quick inhale one gets from brushing the skin of a loved one, as he dives into the ocean on my soul"

better?

devilnjersey

Nov 1, 2005
Living in New Jersey, i grew up a Ranger fan and still am, but I watched alot of the Islanders during the Cup years, and Bossy was one of the best i have ever seen.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
arrbez said:
yeah, it should be:

"Forsberg blows like the wind, gently carressing my hair. He sucks like the quick inhale one gets from brushing the skin of a loved one, as he dives into the ocean on my soul"

better?

How about neither?

Regardless, don't want to ruin a solid thread about two great players with a debate over writing style. You don't like my posts, simply refrain from reading. I'm very comfortable with my writing style, though admittedly, at times, it probably should be dumbed down some for the sake of some of the readership.

And if you had seen Mike Bossy play (clearly you didn't), you'd understand the reverence.

chooch*

Psycho Papa Joe said:
\

Uh, no. In the years that they played at the same time, Bossy's peak BTW, Gretzky was head and shoulders above Bossy. No disrespect to Bossy, but he was not in Gretzky's league.

Playing on the no D Oilers in that division, Bossy would have scored 100 goals a year from 1980 - 1987.

Ogopogo*

chooch said:
Playing on the no D Oilers in that division, Bossy would have scored 100 goals a year from 1980 - 1987.

Must be that "new" math, eh chooch?

Is this your way of saying that Gretzky was the greatest playmaker of all time? I always knew you had a shred of common sense in ya. ;)

chooch*

Ogopogo said:
Must be that "new" math, eh chooch?

Is this your way of saying that Gretzky was the greatest playmaker of all time? I always knew you had a shred of common sense in ya. ;)

Yeah that s right, Toe's only competition is Cassie Campbell

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
Trottier said:
Scored what remains the most ridiculous (I'll refrain from saying "greatest" :) ) goal I've ever seen in that Cup Finals. Body parallel to the ice, literally in mid-air, being tripped by none other than Canucks dman Colin Campbell (life can be funny, eh?), he somehow flips the puck over a diving Richard Brodeur. I have that goal somewhere on a faded VHS tape highlight reel of that series. Wish it could be found on the internet. Absolutely amazing.

Here is the clip.

http://history.thehockeyworld.com/video/50.mpg

Ogopogo*

Mike Bossy* said:
Who was a better goal scorer ?

Bossy played with Trottier for his entire career.
Hull was with 5 teams and played with more players.

Bossy quite easily. Although, the elder Hull beats them both.

KOVALEV10*

Mike Bossy was a great scorer but saying he would be better then Gretz or top 5 is stupid IMO. I didn't see much difference between his goal scoring and that of Lafleurs. Lafleur scored 50 or more for 6 straight seasons before having that accident and injury and would never score more then 30 just like Bossy got injured and had to retire. But in playmaking Lafleur was way better. Bossy's definately a top 5 right winger though and much better then Brett Hull. I would argue Bossy would've score a lot more goals then Hull had he played with a guy like Oates.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Nobody has been better at finding the opening in the slot and one-timing a shot on net than Hull.

But if you want anyone to take the shot on the powerplay or surging in on the right then Bossy's your man.

Mario through traffic.
Gretz behind the net.
Bure on the breakaway.

They each were the BEST goal scorers ever at different scoring aspects/situations.

IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->