Brett Hull or Mike Bossy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogopogo*

Joe Juneau said:
Who was a better goal scorer ?

Bossy played with Trottier for his entire career.
Hull was with 5 teams and played with more players.

Bossy is the 6th greatest goal scorer to play in the NHL, Brett Hull is 14th.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Ogopogo said:
Bossy is the 6th greatest goal scorer to play in the NHL, Brett Hull is 14th.

:dunno:

What formula are you using to come up with THIS? Just curious.

Hull was an incredible shooter, and he turned into a pretty good passer. But Bossy was simply the best goal scorer of the last 50 years in NHL hockey. Had he been able to play 5 more years at his 58-goals-per-year pace, think where he would have ended up: over 860 goals! Of course, he probably would not have kept up the pace for 5 more years, but I think he would have gotten to 800+.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
jiggs 10 said:

Hull was an incredible shooter, and he turned into a pretty good passer. But Bossy was simply the best goal scorer of the last 50 years in NHL hockey. Had he been able to play 5 more years at his 58-goals-per-year pace, think where he would have ended up: over 860 goals! Of course, he probably would not have kept up the pace for 5 more years, but I think he would have gotten to 800+.
Imagine where he would have ended up had he played to 40 like Brett did. 1000 goals would have been a possibility. If he wasn't the best, he was certainly the most consistent great goal scorer of all time.

chooch*

jiggs 10 said:

What about Bobby Hull scoring 50 at age 33 then going to the WHA. He also won 3 Art Rosses.

I'd take him over Bossy as a scorer anyday. Bossy couldnt skate or stickhandle either. He benefitted from his era.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
chooch said:
What about Bobby Hull scoring 50 at age 33 then going to the WHA. He also won 3 Art Rosses.
Have to agree with you here. Bobby Hull is grossly overlooked when people talk about the greatest goalscorers of all-time, and it`s all due to his jump to the WHA. If he stayed in the NHL, he would`ve easily hit 700 and quite likely 800 goals.

Also in each of the first three years that he scored 50+ goals, nobody else in the NHL had over 35.

Ogopogo*

jiggs 10 said:

It is based on great goal scoring seasons so, finishing in the top 7 goal scorers any one year is recognized. My own home made system.

Ogopogo*

reckoning said:
Have to agree with you here. Bobby Hull is grossly overlooked when people talk about the greatest goalscorers of all-time, and it`s all due to his jump to the WHA. If he stayed in the NHL, he would`ve easily hit 700 and quite likely 800 goals.

Also in each of the first three years that he scored 50+ goals, nobody else in the NHL had over 35.

Bobby Hull is the 2nd greatest NHL goal scorer of all time. If he did not go to the WHA he would quite likely have been #1. Gordie Howe is #1.

Last edited by a moderator:

neg marron

Mar 1, 2002
gatineau quebec
www.rds.ca
unfair

:habs :habs :habs :habs
12# Peter Bondra said:

it's not really fair since brett enjoyed a full career

and bossy's career was cut short by injury
i'd love to see all the great compete against each other in an all star skills competition

imagine richard vs. lemieux etc

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
mr gib said:
bossy - no contest - 9 50 goal seasons in a row

4 to 1 in rings
Actually, Brett Hull had two rings. Won with Dallas in 1999 and Detroit in 2002. But he's still not anywhere near the goal scorer that Bossy was. Hull also did the magic disappearing goal scorer routine many times in his career. I'd say Bossy is the best goal scorer outside of Rocket Richard.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Gee Wally said:
Bossy.

One of the greatest I've ever seen.
Wasn't he? I was an Islanders fan before the Devils came to town and he was my favorite Islander after Goring and he was just absolutely deadly with that shot of his. He could be arguably the greatest sniper of all time, if was that freakin' good.

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
Guess who I voted for.....

Both were great players.

Hull made a living finding open space and firing the puck and was certainly more of a physical presence than Bossy.

Bossy had fantastic hands and arguably the quickest release in the history of the game. Bossy's consistency is legendary but sometimes overlooked due to his short career. No "what ifs" for me. Sure he'd be among the all-time leaders if he played a few more years but I'm forever grateful for the thrills he and the other dynasty Isle's gave me as a kid.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
God Bless Canada said:
Actually, Brett Hull had two rings. Won with Dallas in 1999 and Detroit in 2002. But he's still not anywhere near the goal scorer that Bossy was. Hull also did the magic disappearing goal scorer routine many times in his career. I'd say Bossy is the best goal scorer outside of Rocket Richard.
you're right - thanks

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
While I agree with those here that has Bossy as a better goal scorer than Hull, I think it's much closer than Hullis getting credit for.

I think Bossy would have been the first to pass Howe, but then would have been passed by Gretzky. Hull faced better goaltenders, and played half his career in a more defensive era.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
bossy22 said:
Guess who I voted for.....

Both were great players.

Hull made a living finding open space and firing the puck and was certainly more of a physical presence than Bossy.

Bossy had fantastic hands and arguably the quickest release in the history of the game. Bossy's consistency is legendary but sometimes overlooked due to his short career. No "what ifs" for me. Sure he'd be among the all-time leaders if he played a few more years but I'm forever grateful for the thrills he and the other dynasty Isle's gave me as a kid.

lol, your avatar makes me giggle. I'm convinced that Mike Bossy is actually Frankenstein...and I'll bet those fast hands were harvested off a dead ninja

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
Ogopogo said:
Bobby Hull is the 2nd greatest NHL goal scorer of all time. If he did not go to the WHA he would quite likely have been #1. Gordie Howe is #1.

Yes, and Adam Oates is a better playmaker than Mario Lemieux.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
I truly feel sorry for those among us who never had the privilege of watching the magic of Mike Bossy.

Like a comet passing through the sky, his time was brief, but memorable.

If Mario, Bourque and Gretzky were to take part in this poll, there would be three more votes cast for #22. Each has been quoted naming Bossy as the greatest pure goal scorer ever.

Transported Upstater

I think Bossy and Maurice Richard were both better than Hull.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Trottier said:
I truly feel sorry for those among us who never had the privilege of watching the magic of Mike Bossy.

Like a comet passing through the sky, his time was brief, but memorable.

If Mario, Bourque and Gretzky were to take part in this poll, there would be three more votes cast for #22. Each has been quoted naming Bossy as the greatest pure goal scorer ever.
very nice comment - he sunk us in 82 ( nucks fan ) but 9 seasons with 50 goals - ( and his rookie year was the only time he had less ) - and i didn't like the isles - he was awesome -

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
John Flyers Fan said:
While I agree with those here that has Bossy as a better goal scorer than Hull, I think it's much closer than Hullis getting credit for.

I think Bossy would have been the first to pass Howe, but then would have been passed by Gretzky. Hull faced better goaltenders, and played half his career in a more defensive era.
But Hull's three 50/50 seasons came in seasons where the GPG average hovered around 7.0. (Not that I'm trying to discredit a 50/50 season. Regardless of what you think of Hull, you can't discredit the accomplishment of a 50/50 season,let alone 3). But the era that Hull excelled in wasn't as defensive as some would leave you to believe.

I believe Neely pulled the 50/50 in the lowest scoring season. (6.5 in 1993-94).

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
God Bless Canada said:
But Hull's three 50/50 seasons came in seasons where the GPG average hovered around 7.0. (Not that I'm trying to discredit a 50/50 season. Regardless of what you think of Hull, you can't discredit the accomplishment of a 50/50 season,let alone 3). But the era that Hull excelled in wasn't as defensive as some would leave you to believe.

I believe Neely pulled the 50/50 in the lowest scoring season. (6.5 in 1993-94).

Yes, his biggest goal scoring seasons came pre-1995, but he did play about 700 of his 1270 games from 1995 onward.

If Bossy stayed healthy, and Hull played his entire career during the same time period i think they both would have been pushing the 900 goal barrier.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
mr gib said:
very nice comment - he sunk us in 82 ( nucks fan ) but 9 seasons with 50 goals - ( and his rookie year was the only time he had less ) - and i didn't like the isles - he was awesome -

Scored what remains the most ridiculous (I'll refrain from saying "greatest" :) ) goal I've ever seen in that Cup Finals. Body parallel to the ice, literally in mid-air, being tripped by none other than Canucks dman Colin Campbell (life can be funny, eh?), he somehow flips the puck over a diving Richard Brodeur. I have that goal somewhere on a faded VHS tape highlight reel of that series. Wish it could be found on the internet. Absolutely amazing.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Trottier said:
Scored what remains the most ridiculous (I'll refrain from saying "greatest" :) ) goal I've ever seen in that Cup Finals. Body parallel to the ice, literally in mid-air, being tripped by none other than Canucks dman Colin Campbell (life can be funny, eh?), he somehow flips the puck over a diving Richard Brodeur. I have that goal somewhere on a faded VHS tape highlight reel of that series. Wish it could be found on the internet. Absolutely amazing.
great post -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->