Brett Hull or Mike Bossy

Status
Not open for further replies.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Sure Bossy played with Trottier his whole career but Hull had some nice playmakers next to him as well (Oates, Janney, Turgeon, Modano, Datsyuk, etc... in his goalscoring heyday).

Bossy.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Joe Juneau said:
Who was a better goal scorer ?

Bossy played with Trottier for his entire career.
Hull was with 5 teams and played with more players.

Hull was with 5 teams, but was only a league-leading goal-scorer with one of them. The three years he played with Adam Oates he scored over 70 goals. For the rest of his career, he never hit 60, let alone 70, without Oates. Both players benefitted from great playmaking centres, but lots of guys play with great playmakers and don`t score like those two did.

They were both great scorers, not only in the season but in the playoffs as well. It`s a tough call for my choice, but I have no doubt that Bossy will win the poll. The fact that Hull was very opinionated and not the least bit modest will work against him. Much like the Claude Lemieux/Cam Neely debate, some people will focus on how likable the player was instead of how good he was.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Bossy saw only the net

goalies were not as good back during his hey day

the game was more wide open
and hull spen last 10 yrs of his career playing in a defensive era

no one was equal to bossy
can we say the same about hull

Last edited:

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Joe Juneau said:
Who was a better goal scorer ?

Bossy played with Trottier for his entire career.
Hull was with 5 teams and played with more players.
Bossy didn't always play with Trottier. One year, Trottier had an early injury and missed the entire season. That year, Bossy had Brent Sutter as his center. Sutter had a career years, and Bossy had another 60+ goal season.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Darth Milbury said:
Bossy didn't always play with Trottier. One year, Trottier had an early injury and missed the entire season. That year, Bossy had Brent Sutter as his center. Sutter had a career years, and Bossy had another 60+ goal season.
Edit: Trots only missed 12 games that season.

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
I really wish i wasnt still drunk from last night and would have picked Bossy because thats who i would of picked if i had the motor skills to press the correct button.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
If we are looking at who had better seasons I would say Hull was in matter of fact the better scorer when he was with Oates (because of Oates godlike passing) not simply because of stats but based on ability to put the puck in the net as part of a phenomenal duo.

So, unless Bossy could play with Gretz or Mario, I wouldn't choose him over Brett if I was a g.m. with Oates on the bench. But Bossy would have been better if he had had one of the greatest passers in the history of the game.

On the other hand, we all know about Bossy's sniper ability. His shot is legendary. Brett's was just highly efficient in comparison.

So, in terms of pure individual talent,...

Bossy.

(Good comparison though.)

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
No Brainer - Bossy.

And just think - what would have happened if Bossy had had a healthy back?

50+ goals in 9 consecutive seasons (still a record), every season from his rookie year until his last full season, before his last, when his chronic back problems fianlly got the best of him. Retired at the tragically young age of only 30.

If Bossy had a healthy back, Brett is likely looking up from below on the all time goals scored list. So is Mario, Gordie, and even Wayne.

File this with what would have happened if Bobby Orr had had two good knees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad