Confirmed with Link: Brett Connolly 1 year 850k

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I like players that start hitting when they cannot hit the twine. Doing something positive to try to help your team. BC!

The Zapper

Dec 22, 2015
I like players that start hitting when they cannot hit the twine. Doing something positive to try to help your team. BC!

I'd say he's a team-first type player. Seems like a really coachable kid, too. He ended up being the third-wheel for PB ad BM but he started to be a huge pest away from the puck. He caused a lot of turnovers in the NZ and OZ with a high-pressure forechecking style and finished checks that led to opportunities for Bergeron/Marchand (2nd among Bruin forwards in checks behind Beleskey, I believe). Not to say he was the reason for his linemates' offensive success (they scored many points on on special teams) but his physical play complimented the first line, I'd say. If he can finish his scoring chances, he could be a steal. Also, he often never got the assists on goals that were caused by his play away from the puck.

Basically what I saw from him watching the B's last season. Was really rooting for BC, hope he starts to hit his stride with the Caps. Has a really good attitude.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Time to give some love to Connolly.

He's got some surprisingly sweet mits and pulled some impressive curl n drags.

When he shoots I feel a legit shot that he will score anywhere in from top of circles.

His 56.1% Corsi is excellent while still knowing his shooting % is not sustainable. He does everything pretty decently.

billcook

Apr 17, 2012
Ideal 3rd liner for offensively dominant team.

He is also only 24 and has some more untapped to him.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I said it in another thread but I'll happily eat some crow on this signing. Thought he'd be in Stan Galiev territory but instead he's been an effective third line player and nice backup PP option if Oshie or Williams is out.

Also I can't believe this is the face of a 24 year old:

connolly.jpg

Dude looks 35+.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I'd wager this is the first time in his career that he has actually felt at home in a spot.

Our 3rd line is monstrous right now. We really did need to get Burakovsky a couple strong possession players instead of having him do all the work on the line and carry Richards and Chimera.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Our replacement Oshie. Better start practicing shootouts, as he will have some BIG shoes to fill.

Jun 15, 2007
Time to give some love to Connolly.

He's got some surprisingly sweet mits and pulled some impressive curl n drags.

When he shoots I feel a legit shot that he will score anywhere in from top of circles.

His 56.1% Corsi is excellent while still knowing his shooting % is not sustainable. He does everything pretty decently.

Agree on everything except this. He was taken 6th overall for a reason. Skill was never in question.

Eskobar

Sep 28, 2016
As of 2017, Connolly's been scoring goals in different kind of ways against solid teams (Montreal, Chicago, Pittsburgh, St.Louis, and Boston). Keep up the good work.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It must have been nice to get one against the B's in particular after not being qualified by them. His agility isn't that great but he's physical and has made some strides defensively. 3RW is pretty much an ideal place for him developmentally and it's perhaps the ideal environment in general. He's said as much that this is the first time he's been really comfortable. He's likely playing them out of needing to acquire a depth scoring-line winger. With 77/14 up in the air for cap reasons it's nice to have an in-house option developing that maybe they can lock in for a couple seasons relatively cheap. I'm not sure he has strong top six potential but he could put up Brouwer type numbers while being a better possession player. It was a shrewd pick-up at the time and he's rewarded them ever since getting a consistent third-line spot.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
It must have been nice to get one against the B's in particular after not being qualified by them. His agility isn't that great but he's physical and has made some strides defensively. 3RW is pretty much an ideal place for him developmentally and it's perhaps the ideal environment in general. He's said as much that this is the first time he's been really comfortable. He's likely playing them out of needing to acquire a depth scoring-line winger. With 77/14 up in the air for cap reasons it's nice to have an in-house option developing that maybe they can lock in for a couple seasons relatively cheap. I'm not sure he has strong top six potential but he could put up Brouwer type numbers while being a better possession player. It was a shrewd pick-up at the time and he's rewarded them ever since getting a consistent third-line spot.

Unless he goes in the tank down the stretch then I think that ship has already sailed. Our 3rd line has been our most consistent since they've been put together and have some excellent chemistry.

With Vrana and Sanford as our top/bottom 6 injury fill ins respectively (along with Stephenson as our C fill in I just can't see us getting any forward.

Connolly has been a big factor in that. No way we touch our forwards IMO

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't think Sanford or Stephenson are sufficient as injury fill-ins in the playoffs. Neither have shown themselves to be anything more than a warm body. Vrana has more potential, but has been inconsistent (especially since getting demoted back to Hershey). Based on that, I still think they need to acquire a depth forward at the very minimum (and quite possibly one that is a regular in their top 12).

If the currently chemistry holds, Connolly is safe from being scratched. But we'll see how things evolve over the next couple months. Not adding depth because a line is clicking in January is overly optimistic. The Chimera-Johansson-Wilson 3rd line looked good around this time last year, too.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I don't think Sanford or Stephenson are sufficient as injury fill-ins in the playoffs. Neither have shown themselves to be anything more than a warm body. Vrana has more potential, but has been inconsistent (especially since getting demoted back to Hershey). Based on that, I still think they need to acquire a depth forward at the very minimum (and quite possibly one that is a regular in their top 12).

If the currently chemistry holds, Connolly is safe from being scratched. But we'll see how things evolve over the next couple months. Not adding depth because a line is clicking in January is overly optimistic. The Chimera-Johansson-Wilson 3rd line looked good around this time last year, too.

Trotz and BMac don't seem to agree with you based on the WP article I posted in the other Trade thread.

We will have the cash to acquire a player worth 1.7 mil according to the article. To me that seems like enough for one player and that player BETTER be a dman.

Vrana/Sanford/Stephenson are fine. Chorney/Ness?? Not so much...

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
$1.7M was before Djoos and Stephenson were demoted. If they keep Stephenson and Djoos down, they're up to $4.2M in deadline space.

Stephenson and Sanford aren't any better solutions than Chorney/Ness. They are not sufficient options in the playoffs. Vrana is a gamble.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Thing that sticks out to me about Connolly vis-a-vis other Caps is that when he shoots the puck, he almost always puts it on net.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
$1.7M was before Djoos and Stephenson were demoted. If they keep Stephenson and Djoos down, they're up to $4.2M in deadline space.

Stephenson and Sanford aren't any better solutions than Chorney/Ness. They are not sufficient options in the playoffs. Vrana is a gamble.

I don't claim to be a capologist but not sure where you get that figure:

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/capitals

The figures there are with only 21 roster spots (hence sans Stephenson and Djoos) right?

The team will also be somewhat limited financially. Savvy salary-cap management is expected to leave the Capitals with enough space to acquire a player with a roughly $1.7 million annual cap hit at the deadline, according to capfriendly.com, without requiring a corresponding move.

I don't see how the numbers equate to 4.2 million when we have 900k right now. I tend to think the articles numbers are more accurate.

Please educate me if I'm wrong here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad