TSN: Brent Wallace says goodbye at TSN

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
I didn't watch them much as I got older (loved them growing up) but they still seem to have a huge fan base. Didn't see this move coming at all.

Pretty much same - it is interesting they kept one and not the other. I would have thought they would be a package deal, staying or going.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
This is an excerpt from the mod added link that sums it up. Melnyk denies apparently.

Also on the Senators’ growing no-fly list is TSN reporter Brent Wallace who, prior to the team’s Parliament Hill alumni game last December, had the audacity to ask owner Eugene Melnyk about a report that suggested he had been withholding bonus money from his employees.

Melnyk denied the allegation.

Once the cameras were turned off, bystanders saw him turn to Wallace and say, “I’m going to bury you.”
Since then, Wallace’s seat on the charter has also been revoked, leaving Sylvain St-Laurent of French-language newspaper Le Droit with one of the remaining few seats. Well, until he writes something that Melnyk doesn’t like.
Based on the owner’s thin skin and the team’s propensity for causing controversy, that shouldn’t be too long.

Sad thing is that no one picks up that uncle Euge was the only owner that flew the media around for free with the team.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Sad thing is that no one picks up that uncle Euge was the only owner that flew the media around for free with the team.
I hear you, but its hard to come out of this story looking like anything but the bad guy when you're using tools like rolling back plane access or management interview access as a way to assert your power and essentially strongarming media. The bury you threat is a real bad look too.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I hear you, but its hard to come out of this story looking like anything but the bad guy when you're using tools like rolling back plane access or management interview access as a way to assert your power and essentially strongarming media. The bury you threat is a real bad look too.

100%

Euge is a loose cannon, for sure.

I do think that we know he was not smart too threaten the media...

I also think he may be a little vindictive.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I'm fine with Hughson if the Canucks aren't part of the game.

Really? He's got Dean Brown levels of arrogance when he's calling the games and Bruce Garrioch levels of intelligence. He's horrible to listen to even if his voice is sort of iconic now.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Rogers-owned 1310 News rebranded itself to CityNews Ottawa and took over the 101.1 MHz FM frequency from its sister station, Country. The Country station has moved to 92.3 MHz, So Rogers has two local Radio Stations... already, as I said earlier.

Ever Listen to Blue Jays game? On one of the Local Rogers Radio Stations.... already in Ottawa
They both play the same station. I listen to it a lot.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Seeing as 1310 has hired many of the old CFRA crew, it would suprise me, seeing as they don't have an afternoon show, that they don't make a sports show to rival TSN. They already play sports shows on the weekends. Brent Wallace/Ian Mendes combo?

Reactions: SensHulk

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Seeing as 1310 has hired many of the old CFRA crew, it would suprise me, seeing as they don't have an afternoon show, that they don't make a sports show to rival TSN. They already play sports shows on the weekends. Brent Wallace/Ian Mendes combo?

I don’t see it. You’d be taking on two salaries plus a producer to go after a fractional share of an already small audience. Sports radio is a niche audience, and radio in general is a medium in decline.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA

I’ve speculated on this as well. It’s a great opportunity, maybe when things pick back up economically Rogers/1310 may entertain this idea

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I don’t see it. You’d be taking on two salaries plus a producer to go after a fractional share of an already small audience. Sports radio is a niche audience, and radio in general is a medium in decline.
It's 1 show. They seemed to have made a 2nd conservative radio station work on 1310. I doubt their salaries would be outrages. They already have 2 people in the afternoon just reading the news.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
It's 1 show. They seemed to have made a 2nd conservative radio station work on 1310. I doubt their salaries would be outrages. They already have 2 people in the afternoon just reading the news.
that 15 year old kid, the one that 20 years ago was barrackeded in his room playing on the internet/video games. He was not outside playing sports. So now at 35, he is turning away from most sports..if the sport is video game'ish..he responds, if not, he does not.Take a good look at movies, most are nothing more than glorified video games.

I am into cycling, your average bicycle club..50-80 year olds..most local races, a 1/2 dozen sub 30 year olds, about twenty 30 plus year olds and the rest are above 40. In my own family, my brothers, cousins, and friends were sports nuts. All we did was play sports...so much so that we often formed our own teams. Our kids...nada!!! Unreal. and this with the parents urging and signing them up as youngsters. And this now extends ot being sports fans, we are obsessed, they are Blah.

Tighthead is right. In short order, sports radio will be gone..(As will most radio...changing times). It is subtle, but I am curious to see the impact this will have on sports itself. This year's super-bowl. One with fantastic story lines bombed..worst ratings in years. That 15 year old has come home to roost.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
that 15 year old kid, the one that 20 years ago was barrackeded in his room playing on the internet/video games. He was not outside playing sports. So now at 35, he is turning away from most sports..if the sport is video game'ish..he responds, if not, he does not.Take a good look at movies, most are nothing more than glorified video games.

I am into cycling, your average bicycle club..50-80 year olds..most local races, a 1/2 dozen sub 30 year olds, about twenty 30 plus year olds and the rest are above 40. In my own family, my brothers, cousins, and friends were sports nuts. All we did was play sports...so much so that we often formed our own teams. Our kids...nada!!! Unreal. and this with the parents urging and signing them up as youngsters. And this now extends ot being sports fans, we are obsessed, they are Blah.

Tighthead is right. In short order, sports radio will be gone..(As will most radio...changing times). It is subtle, but I am curious to see the impact this will have on sports itself. This year's super-bowl. One with fantastic story lines bombed..worst ratings in years. That 15 year old has come home to roost.
I think there will always be a place for traditional radio. It's just the format that has been out dated for some time. People still love TV shows they just don't care about the 40 minute show with commercials. Streaming platforms saw this years ago and adapted by creating 30 minute/1 hour shows/let people binge a whole season. Seeing as almost all radio stations in North America are under the umbrella of conglomerates they have only themselves to blame for not moving with the times. TSN doesn't need advertising to make radio work, they would rather them be self sufficient so they can allocate more profits to shareholders. Just think of a radio station with no commercials and 1-2-3 hours shows with in depth research and analysis covering a wide range of topics. This is what has made podcasts so appealing to so many. The industry says people have short attention spans and thus the programming is crafted in a way to reflect that when actually the opposite is true. People just want good content. For all the heat the CBC takes their format was ahead of the game even though they get way too much public money. That is another argument for another day.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
I think there will always be a place for traditional radio. It's just the format that has been out dated for some time. People still love TV shows they just don't care about the 40 minute show with commercials. Streaming platforms saw this years ago and adapted by creating 30 minute/1 hour shows/let people binge a whole season. Seeing as almost all radio stations in North America are under the umbrella of conglomerates they have only themselves to blame for not moving with the times. TSN doesn't need advertising to make radio work, they would rather them be self sufficient so they can allocate more profits to shareholders. Just think of a radio station with no commercials and 1-2-3 hours shows with in depth research and analysis covering a wide range of topics. This is what has made podcasts so appealing to so many. The industry says people have short attention spans and thus the programming is crafted in a way to reflect that when actually the opposite is true. People just want good content. For all the heat the CBC takes their format was ahead of the game even though they get way too much public money. That is another argument for another day.
You make some very valid points and many should have been implemented. But I really believe at the heart of this is changing times, with less sports centric people. And I do believe that fan attention is short and turning away..This strangely enough is linked to your comment about commercial content. Too many and too long a break, so fans turn off...I know, I do.

By the way, give me a 40 minute show that has only 20 minute commercials and I will do somersaults. It is more like 36-24. And ESPN's BCS playoffs..4.5-5 hour games. Easily 30-30 content to commercial. The first couple of years, they so messed up the timing, the first semifinal ended a good 1/2 hour after the second started. Now they space them out 6 hours.

Pod casts are available on your computer or phone, advertising is embedded in the shows by the hosts delivering a message or pop ups...Radio is limited to traditional commercials or hosts delivering the message. So, they are limited.

Radio is the next domino to fall. Magazines fell, then newspapers. It will be radio and traditional TV next. I cannot see it being reversed.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I told my grandma to sell all her Bell preferred shares and buy Bitcoin.

Honestly.

Couldn’t just scam the government quietly out of COVID relief funds... Had to get greedy and add cents on the dollar to the dividend.

Fake Canadian.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I told my grandma to sell all her Bell preferred shares and buy Bitcoin.

Honestly.

Couldn’t just scam the government quietly out of COVID relief funds... Had to get greedy and add cents on the dollar to the dividend.

Fake Canadian.

Bell has always been pooey. Any company that makes the profit they do and makes their customers wait on hold for 45 minutes to tell them their service sucks stopped caring about people decades ago

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad