Brent Seabrook...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orv

Jan 7, 2004
Calgary, Ab/Eston,SK
Just wondering about Brent Seabrook. I've read on a lot of threads that people think he is overrated. I've seen him play a lot and have always thought he's a good player and could be good in the NHL.

I'm just wondering why people think he is overrated or will be a bust???

leafaholix*

He's overrated because there doesn't seem to be anything "special" about his game. Unless there is, because I haven't seen him play much in junior hockey.

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Overrated in what sense... Overrated, he went first round? certainly not overrated around here, guy is hardly mentioned...

I think he's a solid guy... May not be flashy, that may lead to negative opinons of him with those who are suckers for flash and dash... May not stand out in any one particular area, but as a defenceman that doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing..

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's a good prospect, and a good bet to make the NHL, but he just isn't what I expected him to be three years ago. I saw him play a couple times live in 2001-02, and he was the best 16 y/o defender I've ever seen in the WHL ... Wade Redden was the only guy I can remember in the same league at that age.

One game in particular was in November 2001 when he had all of about 15 WHL games under his belt. Lethbridge's top defender Simon Ferguson was out with an injury, and Seabrooke played close to 30 minutes, picked up a couple assists and was absolutely dominant. Played with so much poise, and just seemed to control the game whenever he was on the ice. At the time I felt he was a sure-fire top-5 pick for the 2003 draft. But he just hasn't seemed to develop much since, and hasn't really taken his game to the level it looked like he was capable of at that time. Intensity seems to be a common criticism.

He still has enough size, strength, poise and puck skill, though, to develop into a quality top-4 NHL defender.

X-SHARKIE

From what I hear from people it sounds like Seabrook is getting overused with the Hurricanes and has to pace him self. You seem to hear this alot about top defensive prospects. I remember first hearing when Progner was coming up, and look how good he is.

I'm not saying Seabrook is the next Progner, but it well be interesting to see him in the AHL next season and see what he can do with about half the ice time.

I still really like him and I really think he showed his true colors at the WJC's last year were IMO he was quite impressive....

Like Leafaholix said though, nothing really flashy about his game but he has alot of raw ability along with some steady play.. He's a good prospect.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Seen him play alot...

I don't know if half the ice-time will do anything to help his game... he is a slow skater...

He QB's their PP and it is awful 11% (last I looked...)

I think he will most likely will turn into a Dan McGillis -big, strong, decent skills... doesn't put it together consistently...

I have seen him pass up opportunities to flatten a guy with his head down ...ya, he seems like a nice kid... has good potential... frusterating at this point...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad