Brent Krahn is on Fire!

Status
Not open for further replies.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Velouria said:
Yes of course Oliwa was expendable but it is a well known fact that he is not a very well liked teammate. Everywhere he goes, he causes problems in the locker room.

Krahn is much the same - look at the way the Hitmen basically gave him to Seattle because they were tired of dealing with him.

I think your statement on Oliwa probably has merit at least on some of his past teams....there was zero evidence this was a problem in Calgary, in fact when the Flames clinched the playoff spot late in the season, I watched Kobasew and Saprykin hoist Oliwa on their shoulders and skate him off the ice "for he's a jolly good fellow" style

he really fit in (from what I could tell ) in Calgary and was a good influence on the young guys. but again, I don't pretend to be in the know

as for Krahn, it sounds like a lot of people have heard he's cocky...enough to put some merit to it--but like others have said I bet he's been knocked down a few pegs: major injury, essentially dumped from the Hitmen, playing in the ECHL...I would imagine he's learned and grown alot from that (again knowing nothing specific about the situation)

Velouria

Sep 23, 2004
I don't expect anyone to believe me, but what I heard about Oliwa was said to me by a former minor league teammate. I couldn't believe the guy either, but the gentleman in question is a family friend and had no reason to lie. Oliwa was one of my favourite players when he was here and I was very sad to see him go, though I really hadn't expected him to stay.

As for Krahn, I know myself personally through mutual friends and from listening to interviews what a real moron the guy is. I hope for the Flames sake he has grown up a bit. To be honest this time last year I had basically written him off as a prospect. Hopefully now he will develop into a solid backup to Kiprusoff or, even better, a starting NHL goalie who can be traded in the future.

Evman*

Mt.Nigeria said:
Krahn's got attitude problems?

The reason Oliwa wasn't re-signed was because they didn't exactly need a goon that couldn't skate, when they already got Chris Simon (who they re-signed), who can score, somewhat skate, and is one tough customer. Oliwa was expendable.

Just of note, Oliwa was one of the best skaters on the team.

Remember his breakaway goal against Edmonton? Fast, really fast.

Basically skating is the only other skill he has besides being a decent goon.

I'm disappointed he wasn't re-signed. I loved the job he did in Calgary.

Velouria

Sep 23, 2004
Gotta disagree with you there bud. Oliwa is in the bottom ten per cent of skaters in the league. When he gets going and lets fly, watch out, just like the goal in Colorado. But the guy moves like molasses. Very exciting to watch though, every time he came onto the ice I'd just watch him and forget about the puck.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I know a couple guys who played AAA Midget with Krahn and they considered him to be a pretty good guy, that was a long time ago now however - before his major success and before the draft, maybe he's changed.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Evman said:
Just of note, Oliwa was one of the best skaters on the team.

Remember his breakaway goal against Edmonton? Fast, really fast.

Basically skating is the only other skill he has besides being a decent goon.

I'm disappointed he wasn't re-signed. I loved the job he did in Calgary.

Oliwa is a terribel skater. He can go fast in a SATRIGHT line but that is all. The guy cannot turn for the lfie of him.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Velouria said:
Gotta disagree with you there bud. Oliwa is in the bottom ten per cent of skaters in the league. When he gets going and lets fly, watch out, just like the goal in Colorado. But the guy moves like molasses. Very exciting to watch though, every time he came onto the ice I'd just watch him and forget about the puck.

Disagree. He's a pretty good skater. A better skater than Jason Wiemer was last time he played for us.

icarus

Mar 6, 2002
Kingston, ON
Visit site
I wouldn't go so far as to say he was one of the best skaters on the 2003-04 Flames, but he was certainly no slouch. For a big man he moved very well. He wasn't drafted into the league as a goon.

Go Flames Go*

If Oliwa played on the first line he would of outscored Iginla. All 4 of his goals where highlight goals, and the taunting the Colorado bench when we fathered them 7-1 was priceless. I miss Oliwa already I remeber people chanting at the San Jose series OLIWA **** YOU CHEECHO.

Oiltalk

May 20, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Makaveli_The_Don said:
If Oliwa played on the first line he would of outscored Iginla. All 4 of his goals where highlight goals, and the taunting the Colorado bench when we fathered them 7-1 was priceless. I miss Oliwa already I remeber people chanting at the San Jose series OLIWA **** YOU CHEECHO.
:lol

Laraque has 4 highlight goals a year. I guess he'd outproduce Smyth if given first line ice time. :shakehead

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Well, this attitude problem is new to me. But then again, it is different with goalies than with players. Goalies are always a little annoying and such. But to be honest, I never really knew about it. I apopogize if I was 'hostile' to anybody for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad