Brenier - Penner - Eaves

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Bernier and Eaves. Bernier looks like he might break out big time this year. Eaves scored 20 goals with little ice time last year. I'm big on Penner as well. I don't think any of the picks will be a bust.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Gentlemen,

I have about 12 hours to choose 2 of the 3 guys mentioned above. Who has more potential and which current players could their potential be compared to? i really need help here. i am leaning towards brenier and penner but i really like eaves (Top line in Ott and 20G last year).

penner
bernier
eaves

as far as points go. Bernier and Penner are close, but Penner has produced well in the past year.

12 oz Papa*

Someone said that Penner doesn't use his body to create space for himself and linemates.

So Todd Marchant and Ryan Shannon are making their own space during this preseason without any help of linemate Penner?

Sure.

I think Penner is the only one out of the trio to create any space whatsoever with Marchant listed at 5'10 and Shannon at 5'9. Penner is 6'4, 245.

Apparently, the person who suggested that he doesn't create space has never seen him play.

Mar 1, 2002
Yeap. Playing with a vastly superior team with guys like Perry and Getzlaf while Bernier played with Plihal and Kaspar and Clowe and Stevenson.

Penner is also 30 months older.

As I have said...I like Penner. But he's no Bernier.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Yeap. Playing with a vastly superior team with guys like Perry and Getzlaf while Bernier played with Plihal and Kaspar and Clowe and Stevenson.

Uhhuh, Penner played most of the season with guys like Shannon, Konopka, Peters, Gavey, Parentau etc. Perry and Getzlaf played only 17 & 19 games in Portland.

Mar 1, 2002
Good point, you are right.

Still.....his club scored almost 100 goals more than Cleveland indicating how much more talent was on his team.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I would pick Bernier and Eaves....

- Bernier: because he's gonna have a break-out seaon this year and he has 2 excellent linemates in Marleau and Michalek.

- Eaves: Because he's gonna be playing with Spezza and Heatley !!!!!!!!

I like Penner, but I think Eaves has a better chance of getting more points then Penner, strickly because of who he plays with.... it's a toss-up.:dunno:

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Good point, you are right.

Still.....his club scored almost 100 goals more than Cleveland indicating how much more talent was on his team.

Maybe they scored more becuase Penner was on the team...?

12 oz Papa*

Penner in AHL last year:
GP: 57 G: 39 A: 45 PTS: 84 +/-: +41

Bernier:
GP: 49 G: 20 A: 23 PTS: 43 +/-: -2

12 oz Papa*

And Bernier dominated in a higher league, the NHL, and is over 2 years younger.

What are you more impressed by?

Dominated? I don't think Bernier dominated at all. Nor did Penner, or Eaves.

I'm more impressed by Penner due to his past, what he has had to work with, and what he can become if he continues living up to potential.

Basically, I'd pick Penner. And that is only because I am a Penner-homer. So, ha!

12 oz Papa*

Pepper said Penner dominated Bernier in the AHL. My response was that Bernier dominated Penner in the NHL

Ah, well, it didn't help that you didn't state that exactly in your response. But apologies, misunderstood.

You have to keep in mind though, Penner had fewer games in the NHL that Bernier did, and Bernier also had Thornton and Cheechoo.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Ah, well, it didn't help that you didn't state that exactly in your response. But apologies, misunderstood.

You have to keep in mind though, Penner had fewer games in the NHL that Bernier did, and Bernier also had Thornton and Cheechoo.

Bernier played with Marleau and Michalek. While Patrick Marleau is obviously a very good player and Michalek will probably become one, Milan was a rookie last year and not a huge help to Bernier's development. Playing alongside Patrick Marleau is nice, but Bernier's call-up was a big part of the reason that line played so well down the stretch.

12 oz Papa*

Bernier played with Marleau and Michalek. While Patrick Marleau is obviously a very good player and Michalek will probably become one, Milan was a rookie last year and not a huge help to Bernier's development. Playing alongside Patrick Marleau is nice, but Bernier's call-up was a big part of the reason that line played so well down the stretch.

Yeah, I realized that shortly after posting.

I still think Penner has more potential, whether or not he'll reach it is another question. As far as preseason goes, I believe Bernier is outperforming Penner.

How has Eaves been doing?

Randall Graves*

He only played with Perry and Getzlaf for a small amount of games, you are overlooking the fact that Penner stepped into a pressure filled situation during the playoffs and was a GIANT reason why his team went to the WCF's, oh and he didn't have Patrick Marleau feeding him scoring chances either..he was the one feeding chances to the likes of Joffrey Lupul. Don't judge on his goal total, although he does have a good shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->