Recalled/Assigned: Brendan Lemieux recalled

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Lemieux couldn't handle the puck last game he played that was only last week. There's plenty of players playing well on Moose to reward with a couple of days callup. Never said Lemieux should never get a chance, just would rather they have given someone else this potential chance based on recent play.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Robinson may have deserved a callup more than Lemieux but has been injured the last couple of games.

Lemieux couldn't handle the puck last game he played that was only last week. There's plenty of players playing well on Moose to reward with a couple of days callup. Never said Lemieux should never get a chance, just would rather they have given someone else this potential chance based on recent play.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Ah, I misread that. I never thought he was garbage personally, but it is a good thing he got a second chance.
I have come to accept that we will never agree on anything. Granted I think you have a better % of being right than me.

Reactions: Ducky10

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I have come to accept that we will never agree on anything. Granted I think you have a better % of being right than me.
Different perspectives are important, it would be a pretty boring place if we all agreed on everything.

Besides, we can agree that we both love to overanalyze our favourite hockey team to death.......and that Patrik Laine was a gift from God......can't we?

Reactions: adammlis

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Different perspectives are important, it would be a pretty boring place if we all agreed on everything.

Besides, we can agree that we both love to overanalyze our favourite hockey team to death.......and that Patrik Laine was a gift from God......can't we?
I'm going to have to disagree with you about that, not for any real reason, but, on principle.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Big Buddy Robinson deserves and earned a look, too bad he got injured.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
It's just one practice tomorrow and two game day skates. How much value is there in that for him?

Good for Big Buddy friggin Robinson’s ego, Buddy is the next Kevin Stevens and you heard it here first!

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
But would you take Petan over Roslo if the Jets were like okay we will move on from Hendricks? Would you take Petan over Dano if the Jets were like we'll play Copp centre so we can have one more wing? Would you take Petan over Lemieux when other teams like Calgary think they can rough us up?

The idea of Petan even being in Roslovic's league is absurd.

Reactions: Jet

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
So Lemieux ends up with the most shots per game on the Moose over the year (players over 10 games).
He ends up 4th in ppg.
And he adds grit and net front presence.
I really like what he adds to this team IF he can keep his temper in check.
He definitely adds a different dimension to this team.
For those of you who have seen him play in person often, how is his defensive game?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
So Lemieux ends up with the most shots per game on the Moose over the year (players over 10 games).
He ends up 4th in ppg.
And he adds grit and net front presence.
I really like what he adds to this team IF he can keep his temper in check.
He definitely adds a different dimension to this team.
For those of you who have seen him play in person often, how is his defensive game?

Holden rant incoming :laugh:

Seriously,though. I think he's been pretty well behaved in the games he's played with us. I think he replaces a grit/ checking player pretty well. It will be remain to be seen if he can control himself if he becomes an NHL regular.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
I've only seen a little of him when playing with the Jets and don't recall any issues.

Can some fill me in regarding issues with his temper? Examples and videos?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I've only seen a little of him when playing with the Jets and don't recall any issues.

Can some fill me in regarding issues with his temper? Examples and videos?

He can't stay out of the box:

He had 170 penalty minutes in only 51 games with the Moose this past year which put him 2nd in total penalty minutes in the AHL. He was also second in PIM per game at well over 3. In contrast only Buff on the Jets had over 100 penalty minutes and he was still under 2 PIM per game.

Its not like Lemieux was that disciplined for us taking 21 minutes of penalties in 9 games.

The simple fact is that if he can't stay out of the box (Nothing to date shows he can control himself) then he hurts the team far more then helps it and really shouldn't be near the roster.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
He can't stay out of the box:

He had 170 penalty minutes in only 51 games with the Moose this past year which put him 2nd in total penalty minutes in the AHL. He was also second in PIM per game at well over 3. In contrast only Buff on the Jets had over 100 penalty minutes and he was still under 2 PIM per game.

Its not like Lemieux was that disciplined for us taking 21 minutes of penalties in 9 games.

The simple fact is that if he can't stay out of the box (Nothing to date shows he can control himself) then he hurts the team far more then helps it and really shouldn't be near the roster.

Does anyone have the breakdown of offsetting 5 minute penalties for fighting vs regular 2 minute penalties?
I have a feeling that a lot of those minutes would be offset for fighting but don’t know where to find that.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Does anyone have the breakdown of offsetting 5 minute penalties for fighting vs regular 2 minute penalties?
I have a feeling that a lot of those minutes would be offset for fighting but don’t know where to find that.

They have the players game splits so I went in to each individual game and tailed his penalties:

MinorMajor10 minute misconductTotal PIM
Unsportsmanlike behavior8 566
Abuse of officials 110
Fighting 6 30
Tripping2 4
Interference2 4
Roughing9 186 of 9 looked to be offsetting
Diving1 2
Hooking3 6
Slashing1 2
Cross-checking2 8One looked to be offsetting
Instigating1 112
High stick11 6
Elbow1 2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

In the end he only fought 6 times, one of which he took an instigator on and gave the other team a penalty.
He did take a lot of offsetting roughing minors.

The first two line are what should worry people. Almost half his total penalty minutes came from unsportsmanlike conduct misconducts. Outside of roughing he took his most minor penalties with regards to not conducting himself properly on the ice. This to me is where people worry about him. You can't have a selfish teammate who hurts the team because they abuse officials and take unnecessary penalties by arguing stuff and acting like jerks on the ice. I would not want a player like this on my team.

Maurice and the team wont tolerate the above, so he better learn to mature and mature quickly if he wants to make the Jets.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
They have the players game splits so I went in to each individual game and tailed his penalties:

MinorMajor10 minute misconductTotal PIM
Unsportsmanlike behavior8566
Abuse of officials110
Fighting630
Tripping24
Interference24
Roughing9186 of 9 looked to be offsetting
Diving12
Hooking36
Slashing12
Cross-checking28One looked to be offsetting
Instigating1112
High stick116
Elbow12
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
In the end he only fought 6 times, one of which he took an instigator on and gave the other team a penalty.
He did take a lot of offsetting roughing minors.

The first two line are what should worry people. Almost half his total penalty minutes came from unsportsmanlike conduct misconducts. Outside of roughing he took his most minor penalties with regards to not conducting himself properly on the ice. This to me is where people worry about him. You can't have a selfish teammate who hurts the team because they abuse officials and take unnecessary penalties by arguing stuff and acting like jerks on the ice. I would not want a player like this on my team.

Maurice and the team wont tolerate the above, so he better learn to mature and mature quickly if he wants to make the Jets.

Thanks Surixon. Those first few are quite concerning.
Hopefully he can learn to play close to the edge but not over it.
The kid has talent. Would be a shame if we can’t take advantage of that.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I think people are being a bit optimistic with regards to Lemieux. His lack of discipline is very concerning. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to add a player like him, but I think he has to prove he can stay out of the box first.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I agree with the above few posts, and Lemmy is undoubtedly a hothead. From watching a bunch of Moose games this year I suspect he thinks of himself as designated penalty taker; IIRC, at least a few of the Unsportsmanlike pens I saw him take resulted from BL "stepping up" for a teammate and either retaliating and/or talking himself into the box.

He def has the skillset to play as a bottom-six NHLer, but he's had a hard time controlling himself on the ice for a long time now, and I just don't see that changing without significant pressure from above/teammates and buy-in from him. The weird thing is, as has often been noted, Brendan is a bright and articulate kid. It's like he has an aggression switch with no override function. If they could mind-meld him with Armia, we'd have a heckuva player.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yea JetsUK you nailed it. "He has an aggression switch with no override function".

The Jets do no lack team toughness so Brendan is redundant IMO. We have had issues as a team with discipline in the past but we seemed to turn a corner last season and make "some" progress. I look at Brendan as a step backwards at this point. If he had control I would not have a problem with him but that is something he has never displayed.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yea JetsUK you nailed it. "He has an aggression switch with no override function".

The Jets do no lack team toughness so Brendan is redundant IMO. We have had issues as a team with discipline in the past but we seemed to turn a corner last season and make "some" progress. I look at Brendan as a step backwards at this point. If he had control I would not have a problem with him but that is something he has never displayed.
The Jets don't lack toughness, but I do think they lack hard-nosed forwards that will go to the front of the net and crease to score. Vegas did a great job of keeping the Jets forwards away from Fleury. A Gallagher type of netfront presence would bring a different dimension and maybe a bit more scoring to the bottom 6. But Lemieux definitely needs to prove he's not a liability. At the NHL level he's -2 in penalty differential. Forwards should be plus, or even at this. By the way, Perreault has a very good penalty differential, usually - it's one of his valuable attributes.

Reactions: Moon Man

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I agree with the above few posts, and Lemmy is undoubtedly a hothead. From watching a bunch of Moose games this year I suspect he thinks of himself as designated penalty taker; IIRC, at least a few of the Unsportsmanlike pens I saw him take resulted from BL "stepping up" for a teammate and either retaliating and/or talking himself into the box.

He def has the skillset to play as a bottom-six NHLer, but he's had a hard time controlling himself on the ice for a long time now, and I just don't see that changing without significant pressure from above/teammates and buy-in from him. The weird thing is, as has often been noted, Brendan is a bright and articulate kid. It's like he has an aggression switch with no override function. If they could mind-meld him with Armia, we'd have a heckuva player.

Exact opposite of what I've heard from other Moose players.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Exact opposite of what I've heard from other Moose players.

Oh sure, and I'll defer to anyone with insider knowledge on this -- just going from interviews and the little I know of him from his junior days, where there seemed to be a divide between on- and off-ice personas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad