Recalled/Assigned: Brendan Lemieux Recalled

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

Maurice probably wants to make sure Lowry is fully healthy. You can rest him against the Sabres, and hope he'll be ready for that tough back-to-back against Chicago and Minnesota.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Would be funny to see him play against the team that drafted him and refused to sign with. Also, all the pieces of the Kane trade except Stafford will be there!

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Makes more sense to go on the road with 14F & 7D especially if Lowry isn't ready to go.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Would be funny to see him play against the team that drafted him and refused to sign with. Also, all the pieces of the Kane trade except Stafford will be there!

What does this mean exactly ??? that Lemieux refused to sign with Buffalo ?? or that Buffalo would not sign him ?? Can anyone elaborate ??

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg

What does this mean exactly ??? that Lemieux refused to sign with Buffalo ?? or that Buffalo would not sign him ?? Can anyone elaborate ??

Lemieux refused to sign with Buffalo, that's one reason he was traded to Winnipeg.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Yea, if Lemieux had signed with the Sabres, imagine how the Sabres fortunes would have improved. If not for having a famous father, he would just be another iffy prospect, trying to become an NHLer. Good luck to him

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Yea, if Lemieux had signed with the Sabres, imagine how the Sabres fortunes would have improved. If not for having a famous father, he would just be another iffy prospect, trying to become an NHLer. Good luck to him

Sabres fan I assume, given the sarcasm? ;)

Every team needs cheap and useful 3rd/4th line players on ELC's. He wasn't the biggest piece of that trade, but it does swing the balance towards the Jets.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

This doesn't quite make sense to me -- in order for the Sabres to have traded Lemieux he must have been "signed" with them ??? yes/ no ???:huh:

From what I read he was signed but was angry with them for sending him down to their farm club, because he thought he should have made the team ?? I this not right ??

Was he signed with Buffalo or not ???

Polar Vortex

Jul 4, 2012

This doesn't quite make sense to me -- in order for the Sabres to have traded Lemieux he must have been "signed" with them ??? yes/ no ???:huh:

From what I read he was signed but was angry with them for sending him down to their farm club, because he thought he should have made the team ?? I this not right ??

Well they owned his rights... They could basically do anything with those rights

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

He never signed in Buffalo. There is no restriction in trading an unsigned player if you own their NHL rights whether they are a recent draft pick or an RFA. After the trade the rights get transferred.

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Well they owned his rights... They could basically do anything with those rights

Oh --I see --so they "owned his rights", but he was not signed I guess. Is this the case ???

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
He never signed in Buffalo. There is no restriction in trading an unsigned player if you own their NHL rights whether they are a recent draft pick or an RFA. After the trade the rights get transferred.

Thanks for that Aavco --makes sense what you say, and I'm sure your right here. I wonder if he's signed with the Jets--or do they just own his rights ?? I think he's signed?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Oh --I see --so they "owned his rights", but he was not signed I guess. Is this the case ???

Yes. If he had not signed with Buffalo by June 1st of the year he was traded in he would have re-entered the draft (rights to draft CHL players are lost on the 2nd June 1 following their selection if not signed by then). (EDIT: I think I mixed up the years here. It is two years basically (about 23,75 months) that you hold onto players drafted out of CHL) Buffalo would have gotten nothing since he was not a 1st round pick. Same thing applied to him after he was traded, but Winnipeg signed him shortly after trade.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

After you draft a player out of the CHL (where Lemieux was) an NHL team owns his rights for two years. If he isn't signed in that time frame the player normally returns to the draft (unless they are too old)

The Jets signed Lemieux at dev camp in July, just a few months after the trade, and 11 months before losing his rights.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Yes. If he had not signed with Buffalo by June 1st of the year he was traded in he would have re-entered the draft (rights to draft CHL players are lost on the 2nd June 1 following their selection if not signed by then). Buffalo would have gotten nothing since he was not a 1st round pick. Same thing applied to him after he was traded, but Winnipeg signed him shortly after trade.

Well your a wealth of knowledge here Holden-as always -- I hope your right and the Jet's did sign him ( I would think you are) because he's going to be a good one-"for many reasons"- he's a very tough gritty player, and the Jets need a couple quarts of that grit. He also can score -but usually a guy who's tough, cannot put the puck in the net.

Note - I'd certainly be playing him over Mathias if I were Maurice.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Yes. If he had not signed with Buffalo by June 1st of the year he was traded in he would have re-entered the draft (rights to draft CHL players are lost on the 2nd June 1 following their selection if not signed by then). (EDIT: I think I mixed up the years here. It is two years basically (about 23,75 months) that you hold onto players drafted out of CHL) Buffalo would have gotten nothing since he was not a 1st round pick. Same thing applied to him after he was traded, but Winnipeg signed him shortly after trade.

He was drafted in June 2014. Traded in Feb 2015. Signed by the Jets in July 2015. Think you skipped a year somehow

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Well your a wealth of knowledge here Holden-as always -- I hope your right and the Jet's did sign him ( I would think you are) because he's going to be a good one-"for many reasons"- he's a very tough gritty player, and the Jets need a couple quarts of that grit. He also can score -but usually a guy who's tough, cannot put the puck in the net.

Note - I'd certainly be playing him over Mathias if I were Maurice.

Wait Lemieux? Yes of course he is signed. You cannot play in NHL without an NHL contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad