Brendan Lemieux keeps focus on Jets but understands development process

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Lemieuxs-first-practice-300x225.jpg

Wrote about his growth as a player since development camp last summer to his exit interview a few days ago and how he plans on being ready for next season with the Jets but won't see the Moose as a "step backwards" if that is where he ends up.

Despite the natural youthful desire to make the jump to the NHL immediately he understands that to achieve his goals there are things to learn along the way “Before it was always I’m ready, I want to play now, I’m ready now and I’m blinded by that and that is all I’m going to settle for, and now that I understand it is a process and it takes time and you've got to grow into being ready. That sending you down, it's not always about you not being ready but we are going to send you down to learn things so that when you do come up you are better for us and that is what going back to junior was for me and that’s what it’s going to be if I don’t make the team out of training camp next year.”​

To read full article click here.

He is going to be a very interesting player to watch during camp in September. As always thoughts/comments are welcome.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Good to hear he understands that he might not make the team, and therefore that he will use it as a learning opportunity if he doesn't.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
A few of the Jets wingers better come to camp ready, because I'm pretty sure Lemieux wiil, and he'll compete hard for their spots. If Dano or Armia or Petan don't come in top shape and ready to compete, they'll be in trouble.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
A few of the Jets wingers better come to camp ready, because I'm pretty sure Lemieux wiil, and he'll compete hard for their spots. If Dano or Armia or Petan don't come in top shape and ready to compete, they'll be in trouble.

...or ...maybe ...Thorburn ...maybe ...hopefully ...cause adding good players in place of bad players should be the goal.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Really like idea of guaranteeing all capable rookies/farm guys 10 games or so. Would really push the vets and help with learning curves.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Good way of putting it, yeah.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
...or ...maybe ...Thorburn ...maybe ...hopefully ...cause adding good players in place of bad players should be the goal.

I think/hope Thorbs is going to be a bit player by sometime next year, maybe out of training camp. He might play the role that Peluso did last season - in and out of the line-up depending on opponents.

Having said that, Maurice has been pretty stubborn about sticking with his gritty character players. He seems to have a really difficult time moving beyond that.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I think/hope Thorbs is going to be a bit player by sometime next year, maybe out of training camp. He might play the role that Peluso did last season - in and out of the line-up depending on opponents.

Having said that, Maurice has been pretty stubborn about sticking with his gritty character players. He seems to have a really difficult time moving beyond that.

The interesting thing about Lemieux: he's a gritty character player himself, with potential scoring upside and an agitator/pesky side to him that both Peluso and Thor lack.

I'd be very happy to see that "glue" role passed on to someone younger / potentially better.

ellismate

Jun 9, 2015
SK
True enuf. Keep thorbs and peluso.

I don't mind keeping peluso for the press boxes but I don't think thorbs does anything that lemieux won't do better, and I feel like lemieux has more of an offensive upside and will be a world class agitator

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
The interesting thing about Lemieux: he's a gritty character player himself, with potential scoring upside and an agitator/pesky side to him that both Peluso and Thor lack.

I'd be very happy to see that "glue" role passed on to someone younger / potentially better.

Grit & glue aren't the same thing. I don't think guys can step into a glue role until they've been established in the locker room.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Grit & glue aren't the same thing. I don't think guys can step into a glue role until they've been established in the locker room.

THey're both fairly useless terms in my books. If I need a glue person in the locker room, I'd rather it was someone that had talent. If I need grit, I'd rather it came with some talent as well.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I don't mind keeping peluso for the press boxes but I don't think thorbs does anything that lemieux won't do better, and I feel like lemieux has more of an offensive upside and will be a world class agitator

Agitator vs penalty taker is TBC.

He definitely has more upside - because Thor and Peluso have none. I am not conviced that the Jets have them as players who play a similar role. Lemmy doesn't fight often.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I would like to see Lemieux on the Moose 1st line with 2 offensive players like Petan and De Leo. I want him to have a good deal of offensive success at the pro level in the AHL B4 making the jump to the NHL. I don't want the jets not to "COPP" out and keep Lemieux on the 4th line all year playing 6-7 minutes a night in purely a defensive role.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Agitator vs penalty taker is TBC.

He definitely has more upside - because Thor and Peluso have none. I am not conviced that the Jets have them as players who play a similar role. Lemmy doesn't fight often.

I am concerned he will take more penalties than he draws. I know he will get under the other teams skin but I am pretty sure he will get under our teams skin too? I believe he lacks self control and is a time bomb waiting to go off. I think he and his dad have a higher opinion of him than his skill warrants and that could continue to create drama as well. On the plus side I think he may be a decent enough hockey player to be productive on the 4th line. By that I don't mean a joke of a 4th line we have thrown out here in the 2.0 era for the last 5 seasons I mean an actual productive NHL 4th line that can do some damage. He could possibly provide net front presence on the 2nd unit PP? Hope I am wrong about wingy von wing nut because he is our property and I am a Jets fan first and foremost....... I guess time will tell. :naughty:

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
THey're both fairly useless terms in my books. If I need a glue person in the locker room, I'd rather it was someone that had talent. If I need grit, I'd rather it came with some talent as well.

Same here, but you were saying that Lem should be brought in to be a glue guy, which would be a mistake. He should only make the team if he's ready.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Despite the natural youthful desire to make the jump to the NHL immediately he understands that to achieve his goals there are things to learn along the way “Before it was always I’m ready, I want to play now, I’m ready now and I’m blinded by that and that is all I’m going to settle for, and now that I understand it is a process and it takes time and you've got to grow into being ready. That sending you down, it's not always about you not being ready but we are going to send you down to learn things so that when you do come up you are better for us and that is what going back to junior was for me and that’s what it’s going to be if I don’t make the team out of training camp next year.â€

OMG! Chevy's process-police got to him :amazed:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I thought it was interesting that he admitted to creating a fuss previously. We'd obviously heard it from Buffalo, but it is interesting to hear him talk about it - and to suggest that he was wrong.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I would like to see Lemieux on the Moose 1st line with 2 offensive players like Petan and De Leo. I want him to have a good deal of offensive success at the pro level in the AHL B4 making the jump to the NHL. I don't want the jets not to "COPP" out and keep Lemieux on the 4th line all year playing 6-7 minutes a night in purely a defensive role.
I wouldn't call Copp's role defensive - more of a "don't screw up in an obvious way".

Lemmy isn't really known for his two way play anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad