Prospect Info: Brendan Guhle (2015, 51st) – '18-19: Rochester #45 (AHL)

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Its not even Antipin it would be Beaulieu's spot he would take in the lineup.

Scandella and McCabe are locks on the left side.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Let him marinate slow, he's what, 20. Let him learn the pro game and build some strength

He's already 200 pounds. If he's clearly one of the 6 best defensemen then he needs to be in Buffalo. And I think management would not just automatically pencil him for Rochester because we have a logjam at D. The best players should play period. If Guhle looks better then say Beaulieu then Guhle should be playing with the Sabres. Dmen younger then Guhle are making blue lines far better then the Sabres. Including someone drafted right around where Guhle was.....Brandon Carlo is one example.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Looking better in a tiny non NHL regulation game sample size isn't a reason to throw him in to less minutes and a harder curve when there are big minutes and a good slope readily available.

His time will come.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Let him marinate slow, he's what, 20. Let him learn the pro game and build some strength

I'm thinking I'd rather let him dry age - at least for this summer. Come fall - I'll throw him in the crock pot for a couple of months. If the Sabres have an injury - it's out of the crock pot and into the air fryer for a quick prep for the nhl team. If that doesn't work out, I'll suggest spicing him up and spinning him on a rotisserie for the rest of the season.

Fables

Apr 27, 2015
Its not even Antipin it would be Beaulieu's spot he would take in the lineup.

Scandella and McCabe are locks on the left side.

I think Antipin played well last season on the right side in KHL so it's possible Sabres have penciled him there as well. Seems like he can play well on both sides.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I think Antipin played well last season on the right side in KHL so it's possible Sabres have penciled him there as well. Seems like he can play well on both sides.

With the much larger ice surface in International hockey, its far easier to play the off shot (and hence thats why you see a good number of International players doing it). Forcing guys to the middle a la NHL style is not as critical due to the extra spacing of the D men, you can beat guys cleanly to the inside and outside on the wide rinks, but generally only to the outside on an NHL rink. The extra 6 feet in the offensive/defensive zones also heavily mitigate the fact you are going into the side boards facing the wrong direction, you have more room to maneuver.

Its not a matter of can do it, but on the small NA surfaces the issues are much more difficult than the big ice surface.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
He's already 200 pounds. If he's clearly one of the 6 best defensemen then he needs to be in Buffalo. And I think management would not just automatically pencil him for Rochester because we have a logjam at D. The best players should play period. If Guhle looks better then say Beaulieu then Guhle should be playing with the Sabres. Dmen younger then Guhle are making blue lines far better then the Sabres. Including someone drafted right around where Guhle was.....Brandon Carlo is one example.

Disagree. Guhle has the potential to be Buffalo's Jay Bouwmeester. Not a true #1, but a really good #2 with some elite traits. And that's what Buffalo needs to help support Ristolainen. There's no other defender in the system with that type of upside.

And because of that, GMBOT needs to be careful. Rush Guhle and ruin him, and the Sabres will need to trade for that type of defenders, which will be costly. I'd rather be cautious and patient. Let Guhle show what he can do in Rochester. No need to rush him.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Disagree. Guhle has the potential to be Buffalo's Jay Bouwmeester. Not a true #1, but a really good #2 with some elite traits. And that's what Buffalo needs to help support Ristolainen. There's no other defender in the system with that type of upside.

And because of that, GMBOT needs to be careful. Rush Guhle and ruin him, and the Sabres will need to trade for that type of defenders, which will be costly. I'd rather be cautious and patient. Let Guhle show what he can do in Rochester. No need to rush him.

This has all the potential to be true. He has been nurtured properly between Prince Albert to the AHL and ultimately when he cracks into the bottom six. I believe his best bet is the 18-19 season once Falk, and Gorges are off the books. Not that Falk should stop him from unseating him in the list of left handed defensemen. He has the potential to push both McCabe and Scandella down in the end with his skating. If he develops a balanced fore check/defensive game he'll easily be our top pairing D of the future. Unless we make a play for someone more elite.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I think we need to see Guhle having a really solid season in Rochester before moving him up to the big roster as anything other than an injury fill-in. He's going to be a big part of our roster going forward and we badly need to maximize him, that means learning the system on the top pairing as "the guy" and performing really well to boost confidence.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
The guy was a 2nd round pick, is 20 years old, playing position that takes an estimated extra 2-3 years to develop compared to forwards of similar circumstance. There is NOTHING wrong with developing him well. It took Pysyk, a player with similar traits (great to elite skating, great transition play, questionable on the physical side of the game) 5 years of professional seasons just to get a spot locked down. 4 of those 5 years he would split time between Rochester and Buffalo.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
With the much larger ice surface in International hockey, its far easier to play the off shot (and hence thats why you see a good number of International players doing it).

I'm fairly confident the number of players playing their off hand has to to with the number of lefties vs righties. Europeans have a higher ratio of left handed shooters than Canadians or Americans.

**Forcing guys to the middle a la NHL style is not as critical due to the extra spacing of the D men, you can beat guys cleanly to the inside and outside on the wide rinks, but generally only to the outside on an NHL rink. The extra 6 feet in the offensive/defensive zones also heavily mitigate the fact you are going into the side boards facing the wrong direction, you have more room to maneuver.

Dmen, no matter the league, are always taught take away the middle and force the forward to the outside.

Its not a matter of can do it, but on the small NA surfaces the issues are much more difficult than the big ice surface.

The main difficulty on the smaller NA ice is a player has less time and space to do things.

Some of the issues dmen playing on their off hand can run into .......

1) holding the blue line in the attacking zone...particularly up the boards when they would need to pivot to the backhand.

2) Less shooting/passing lanes immediately available from the point (this ties in with holding the point). They would need to adjust to get into a good passing/shooting position. As an example, a righty playing the right side is usually already in position, upon receiving the puck, to pass anywhere in the attacking zone or shoot with minimal to no adjustment. Whereas a lefty may have to pull the puck from the backhand to the forehand before looking to pass or shoot. They may even have to pivot if the get the pass on the forehand to open up the entire attacking zone to them for a pass (like a D to D pass) or even a shot.

3) Breaking out of the zone. A dman on their offside will end up on their back hand a lot when looking to breakout on their side, thats especially true along the boards. In order to move the puck out on their side they will need to either make a backhand pass (less accurate) or transition to their forehand before making the pass (which takes a bit more time).

4) Making passes on the rush skating on their side of the ice (their offside). Obviously a righty skating up the right side of the ice is in a better position to make a cross ice pass without adjusting much, if at all, to do so. Whereas a lefty on the right side may need to make an adjustment which takes a bit of time the righty doesn't need.

All of the above can be summed up by saying it may take the dman playing their offside a bit more time to do some things. Where that impacts a player like Antipin is he will have less time and space to do things on the NA ice than he did on the International sized rinks. Can he adjust and how quickly? A lot of NHL dmen have had the ability to play their offside and quite successfully. So its certainly doable.

How Antipin's adjustment impacts Guhle is hard to say long run. But short run, I imagine Antipin will have more than just camp and preseason to make his adjustment. So I doubt they put Guhle on his offside in camp/preseason games with an eye towards him being a bottom pairing right side dman. Guhle will be battling Scandella, McCabe and Bealieu in camp for a spot.

Last edited:

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
That's an absolutely asinine statement. If anything the new regime might slow cook his full time NHL role but the old regine saw his potential in his callup

I think it makes more sense that the old regime couldn't see a path to improving the D that didn't involve rolling the dice and rushing Guhle, which would obviously be a gamble.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
He's a helluva athlete, if I recall he dominated at the NHL Combine. This is incredible, also kind of dangerous.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
It's a pretty standard plyo jump. You see videos like that every NFL draft.

Tho his platform was hardly what I would call stable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->