Recalled/Assigned: Breen, Cundari Recalled From AHL

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

JulianHopper*

Mark Cundari

If Mark Cundari was loaned out to the Wolves, does that mean he's below Christopher Breen on the depth chart?

I'd rather have Cundari up here and am looking forward to seeing him in the Flames lineup again.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If Mark Cundari was loaned out to the Wolves, does that mean he's below Christopher Breen on the depth chart?

I'd rather have Cundari up here and am looking forward to seeing him in the Flames lineup again.

I would also rather see Cundari based on last year's showing, but AH says he's been pretty bad in the AHL this season. Just seems to me like Breen has trouble keeping up with the pace of play in the NHL, and Cundari's problems on the other hand are decision-making.

I'd say the decision will be made by Hartley purely on who showed better in practice today.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Last chance for these boys. Better go balls to the wall in the remaining games.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Last chance for these boys. Better go balls to the wall in the remaining games.

I agree with this, if both these players do not show us something from now until the end of the season, it may be the end of the road for them, with the Flames anyways.

Kulak, Culkin, Kanzig, Roy, Ramage, and more particularly Sieloff and Wotherspoon may not leave any room for these guys. Kanzig and Sieloff pretty much provide what Breen does, and we already have several smallish dman in our system.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I would also rather see Cundari based on last year's showing, but AH says he's been pretty bad in the AHL this season. Just seems to me like Breen has trouble keeping up with the pace of play in the NHL, and Cundari's problems on the other hand are decision-making.

I'd say the decision will be made by Hartley purely on who showed better in practice today.

Well...I trust AH's opinion, but, in Chicago, Cundari has looked pretty awesome. One thing to keep in mind is that he played with a lot of those guys last season in Peoria (the franchise was sold, reformed in the new SPHL and the Blues re-affiliated with the Chicago Wolves), so his comfort level is probably a factor. Plus, the Wolves play a different style than the Heat. Not better or worse, just different.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well...I trust AH's opinion, but, in Chicago, Cundari has looked pretty awesome. One thing to keep in mind is that he played with a lot of those guys last season in Peoria (the franchise was sold, reformed in the new SPHL and the Blues re-affiliated with the Chicago Wolves), so his comfort level is probably a factor. Plus, the Wolves play a different style than the Heat. Not better or worse, just different.
Good to hear Cundari has been playing better in Chicago. He was great after we picked him up last year, seemed like he was going to be a serious player for an NHL job this season.

Then camp rolled around and he wasn't good and one of the first cuts. When teh season started he didn't get a whole lot better. He missed time with injury and then maybe the last couple weeks before being moved to the Wolves his game was starting to round into form.

I am not sure how strong Cundari is mentally, but I can't help but wonder if being an early cut and Billins surpassing him on the depth chart immediately got into his head.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Good to hear Cundari has been playing better in Chicago. He was great after we picked him up last year, seemed like he was going to be a serious player for an NHL job this season.

Then camp rolled around and he wasn't good and one of the first cuts. When teh season started he didn't get a whole lot better. He missed time with injury and then maybe the last couple weeks before being moved to the Wolves his game was starting to round into form.

I am not sure how strong Cundari is mentally, but I can't help but wonder if being an early cut and Billins surpassing him on the depth chart immediately got into his head.

Was being sent to the Wolves really as much of a "demotion" as this board seemed to think? Or could it just have been to give him a better opportunity?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Was being sent to the Wolves really as much of a "demotion" as this board seemed to think? Or could it just have been to give him a better opportunity?
I'm not sure I would call it a demotion. But I would definitely consider it a slap in the face if I were him. They chose to loan him out rather than someone else, including a couple guys on AHL deals.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
AH was spot on regarding Cundari!

link

Relevant snippet:

He hasn't received that shot yet, however. Cundari has been a healthy scratch in the two games since he joined the Flames. Because the Flames won't make the playoffs, Cundari should return to the Wolves no later than April 14, a day after the NHL regular season ends, but still a week before the AHL season does.

fallsviewafro*

Still Flame property but AHL rights belong to Chicago Wolves

Is that a trade per se, or just one GM calling up another and saying "Hey, I've got a hole on D, how about you send me over one of your guys and I'll hit you back sometime."

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Is that a trade per se, or just one GM calling up another and saying "Hey, I've got a hole on D, how about you send me over one of your guys and I'll hit you back sometime."
It actually was an AHL trade. We agreed to loan Cundari's rights to Chicago and they sent Corey Locke's AHL contract to the Heat. It's just confusing because rarely to AHL trades involve players with NHL contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00