Breakthrough players in KHL 2017-18

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
This thread is becoming an annual tradition. Reading last year's thread, you guys did a great job of identifying under the radar players that had a good season.

Any new names for this upcoming season?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I'd really like to put Artyom Zagidulin here but since he is back to being Magnitka's 3rd goalie he will have 0 chance.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
1) Kuzmenko
2) Poryadin
3) Zernov
4) Penkovsky
5) Rudenkov

I think either CSKA uses Kuzmenko or they loan him out, no way he sits in the pressbox. Has elite talent, one of the most creative and skilled players you will find. Him and Poryadin are potential home-run players.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The fact that Kuzmenko, who would really be a top 6 forward on any mid-table team, is at risk of starting the season in the VHL and that we have to list him in this thread for tie 3rd year with the same uncertainty is ridiculous honestly.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Artyom Blazhievsky showed promise last season. I'm not sure if his role will expand this season, but if he gets a chance, he could be a breakout candidate.

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
Svyatoslav Grebenschikov and Pavel Padakin from Sochi. I hope.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Padakin is on very quiet 2 game point streak but overall Tolvanen and Zernov are on top of the list at this point, I'd say. Igor Saprykin is somewhat a surprise and a breakout player in a very real sense (at least for me), Daniil Tarasov is 1 point away from his career high (although this was somewhat expected). Quite a few other under radar guys getting good minutes but so far without noticeable results. Zhafyarov leads Admiral Fs in TOI, Byvaltsev Amur's, Babenko plays 17 minutes per game for Lada, some Shiksatdarov guy 16 minutes for Neftekhimik. So the opportunities are definitely there.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Kosov has been elevated to the 1st line today with Kovar and Mozyakin and has 2 points already (on the ice for all 3 goals). Mind boggling really his current career high is 9 points. He will easily score 30 if they continue playing him with those 2.

Also Byvaltsev has a 3 point game after what I said yesterday :laugh:

Also as his assist just reminded me, Shvets-Rogovoy has 5 points in 7 games for Vityaz and in general seems like a smart, fast player whom we will consider a top-6 forward before the end of the season.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I think with Yarullin it was obvious, he broke out when Ak Bars loaned him to Atlant and it was only a matter of time when he climbs up the ladder in Kazan's system. He is great. He will play for NT and might try his luck in NHL if he wants to. His size is a bit of limitation for that but as the NHL gets faster it shouldn't stop him.

Vereshchagin puts up points because he has a hard shot and plays on PP a lot but otherwise isn't much to write home about and suffers from severe case of pylon-ism. Closest comparison would be Mamashev. He is still young though, maybe he will improve.

Khokhlov is the biggest surprise, he has really nice offensive skills and is a fast skater but from what I've seen a pretty lose player defensively. Reminds of those guys who always wanted to be forwards but play D for some reason.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
It has only been 4 games, but Valery Vasiliev is off to a nice start. I was very high on this player during his draft year, I hope he breaks out.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Yarulin is long past due. I've always liked skill-set, very smooth and quick with the puck and good all round guy, but I think there is a lot more offensive upside with him. Like S&F says, he most likely becomes a main guy on the NT, takes a shot at the NHL Antipin like.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Tolvanen with a fantastic start, 9 G + 7 A for 16 P in 13 GP. Includes two hattys and 3 GWG.

Now #9 in P, #6 in PPG with 1.23 (and #5 in G, #3 in GPG which helps him stand out I guess).

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Yarulin is long past due. I've always liked skill-set, very smooth and quick with the puck and good all round guy, but I think there is a lot more offensive upside with him. Like S&F says, he most likely becomes a main guy on the NT, takes a shot at the NHL Antipin like.
Won't happen regrettably.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->