BREAKING...TSN: NHL has rejected the NHLPA's 49M proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
I'm not going to throw in the towel because I know both sides wont let 1PM come without any talking. I just dont think they'll compromise in this short of time. These guys need to meet in the middle to get a deal done. I'm done for the night, hopefully the miraculous happens tommorow morning and I read "season saved", but I'm not betting on it.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Titanium said:
First of the three is alright! The last two are dire!
Any specific reasons why you think the last two are dire? Just curious, I'm not being sarcastic or anything.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Hockeyfan02 said:
I'm not going to throw in the towel because I know both sides wont let 1PM come without any talking. I just dont think they'll compromise in this short of time. These guys need to meet in the middle to get a deal done. I'm done for the night, hopefully the miraculous happens tommorow morning and I read "season saved", but I'm not betting on it.

I agree that it does not help the teams that can't ice 49 million dollars of payroll.

but they don't have to. it doesn't force them to play at 49 million they can continue to ice 35 or so million if they like and rebuild their team.

a cap at 49 would create parity I belive, that said I think idealy the number is best around 45 or so but a cap at 49 would change the value of players allowing the smaller market teams to be more competitive while not having to pay as much.

Titanium

Oct 20, 2003
Nottinghamshire, Eng
Visit site
A hard cap at $50m does nothing for a "level playing field" and also doesn't rein in costs that much, especially with a shrinking revenue stream!

Increasing the cap up to $47m will give you essentially the same headache as above! The lockout will have eroded the fan base somewhat and thus revenues! There's little chance the league would have a hope of marketing itself well enough to cover the increase!

mooseOAK*

NYRangers said:
All the teams are already under 49 million with the rollback and there is no way a bunch of the lower teams ever crack 40. So no, its not 195 million.
Whatever the number ends up being, Goodenow and the agents will be trying to use up every penny in the cap. So yes, it does make a big difference if it is 49 or 42.5.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I'm not sure some of you are too well-versed in labor negotiations.

First off, this was not going to happen until a deadline was set. Is the deadline a little late? Maybe, but better late than never.

Second, the players' offer of 52 million was ridiculous. The owners' offer of 40 million wasn't AS ridiculous, but it was bad. HOWEVER...that's the name of the game, folks. When you're buying a car or negotiating a CBA, you START BIG. The NHLPA knew damn well they weren't getting a 52 million cap and know just as well they're not getting a 49 million cap. Similarly, the Owners aren't going to get a 42.5 million cap and they know it. Each side will creep toward the middle. The next offer isn't going to be the one that gets it. You'll likely see something like:

NHL: 44 million, and that's our final offer
NHLPA: 46 million, and that's OUR final offer
NHL: 45 million, and you can keep this and this

Deal.

Don't abandon hope yet. We're closer than you think.

NYIsles1*

nomorekids said:
First off, this was not going to happen until a deadline was set. Is the deadline a little late? Maybe, but better late than never.

Second, the players' offer of 52 million was ridiculous. The owners' offer of 40 million wasn't AS ridiculous, but it was bad. HOWEVER...that's the name of the game, folks. When you're buying a car or negotiating a CBA, you START BIG. The NHLPA knew damn well they weren't getting a 52 million cap and know just as well they're not getting a 49 million cap. Similarly, the Owners aren't going to get a 42.5 million cap and they know it. Each side will creep toward the middle. The next offer isn't going to be the one that gets it. You'll likely see something like:

Deal.

We are close but there are still significant problems. The league is still giving out way too much to the players in terms of percentage and much higher than they started out asking for and the teams take the risk with no cost-certainty.

Goodenow for now is not coming off his ten percent at 53.9 million which solves nothing, but he is on the ropes and caved on the cap and used linkage as an out (when they are on record as saying it did not matter) so he has nowhere to go but keep negotiating against Bettman who should offer something in another part of the cba (lower restricted free agency?) to give Goodenow a reason to come down to where things have to be..

That's where the compromise can come from.

The alternative for both is a nightmare for their future profits.

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
Brindfan said:
It's over. There will be no season. You must now come to terms with that. I did back in September.

Which is why you have come to post in this particular thread. Give it up, you know there is a chance that a season might start up very soon. Stop trying to stand out from the crowd.

Brindfan

Sep 20, 2004
Front Range of CO
Brule said:
Which is why you have come to post in this particular thread. Give it up, you know there is a chance that a season might start up very soon. Stop trying to stand out from the crowd.

Not trying to do that. I predicted that there would be no season before last season ended. All this crap going on now is just Bettman and Goodenow posturing. Bettman wants to show the Governors he's in charge, and Goodenow wants to show the players that he's in charge.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
nomorekids said:

Deal.

It depends, with the edge the NHL carries, they can afford to play hardball when negociating the gap. The players just can't compromise like they did and still miss the season, knowing that next year the NHL would offer even less.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
how could they call the season off now that theyve agreed on a cap with just a 6.5 million differential ?

please god, answer me...........

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
I bet no season.

Godenow uses his "softening" (something his wife loathes) as a tactic for impasse hearings.

Bettman starts coming up a bit, then slips linkage in last minute.

They move the press conference again and again.

Owners make interest on unrefunded season ticket prices even longer.

Players even start to realize that they either lose and lose money or lose and lose MORE money.

Tennis follows bowling, NASCAR and poker past hockey in popularity in N.America, with beach volleyball coming up from behind.

McCabe says he won't play for the NHL ever again and gets an operation in Sweden; he goes on to star in racy internet films and pictorials.

Ticket prices go up for 21 of the 30 teams in 2005-6.

I think I'm right on three of those predictions. I just hope I don't have to download anything to find out. :D

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Tuggy said:
There is no way that happens. This thing ends tommorrow one way or another.

That eliminates one......and ups the chances of McCabe and a farm animal on video. :help:

Gross.

Hope I'm right on the others. For humanity's sake.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
nomorekids said:

Deal.

Look, that would make sense if the players had leverage and had equal bargaining power. They dont. They have no leverage. The owners were and are prepared to cancel the season. This is the point need to wrap their heads around: the owners are ready and (key word here) PREPARED FOR the ramifications cancelling the season. The players arent. Goodenow was either a) pressured by players to make a move or b) accepted the cap stance in order to look rosier in front of the NLRB when they challenge the league's declaration of impasse. Either way, both choices imply a lack of leverage. The owners dont have any pressure coming from anywhere to not cancel the season; as has been said millions of times, they are losing less by not playing than by playing. They will also be legally able to declare impasse tommorow if they wanted to, and implement a new CBA of their liking in September. Tom Hicks today said the following "All I know is that the Stars will be playing hockey in September, be it players from the NHLPA or not" -- impasse must then be challenged by the PA, and they must prove that the impasse was legally unneccessary and that unfair labour practices had taken place on the side of the league so that they could do that. The problem is they have no ammo. The last 24 hrs was an attempt to get some.

Why I am so sure the league has already won? By declaring impasse, the league will implement a smaller hard cap. Gary said as much by saying in one of his notes that "the amount will not be as much" when talking of the future CBA. He can slap a 31 Mil cap on, especially when he explains to the NLRB that the loss of revenues of the killed season allows for a smaller cap to, say, re-build their revenues. Thats a hypothetical, but you get my point.

So, nomorekids, I understand what you are saying, but youre saying it as if the league and players are on an equal playing field. They arent. The league holds all the cards. The players have absolutely no leverage. At all. Period. And you might not believe me tonight, but youll believe me when Bettman cancels the season @ 1pm tommorow.

Everyone in here is saying "theres a deal to be had". The deal is the 42.5 Mil that Gary has put down. Thats that. Because if they dont take it, the league'll restart in September with a hard cap 10 million bucks less. Win Win situation for the owners.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
That's under the assumption that an impasse attempt would hold water, which at this point I no longer think it would. Prior to this week, I thought and even hoped it were possible, but Goodenow\NHLPA have now done enough, conceded enough to show that they attempted to bargain in good faith. I agree that the owners definitely hold most of the leverage, but negotiating is a game of give and take and meeting somewhere close to the middle. We're just about there, in my opinion.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
nomorekids said:
That's under the assumption that an impasse attempt would hold water, which at this point I no longer think it would. Prior to this week, I thought and even hoped it were possible, but Goodenow\NHLPA have now done enough, conceded enough to show that they attempted to bargain in good faith. I agree that the owners definitely hold most of the leverage, but negotiating is a game of give and take and meeting somewhere close to the middle. We're just about there, in my opinion.

The league can legally declare impasse tommorow the second after they cancel the season. Also, it would be the PA who would then have to challenge it in the NLRB, but they would have to prove that there wasnt an impasse. They havent done enough to prove that; the NLRB does not look at the last 24-36 hrs, they look at the whole proceeding. All they will see is a concession in the last 24 hrs that could have been had months ago. I agree that negotiation is a game of give and take, but again, with all the leverage, there is no give needed from owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->