Waived: Breaking: Hearing Rangers have waived Diaz, Megna.

Wolfy*

Didn't McIlrath or Glass play in every pre-season game? If Hank was repeatedly attacked, what does that say about their presence?

When I said you must be a soft guy, it wasn't meant as an insult, but it looks like you don't understand the importance of physical players who can fight if necessary.

Most players leave Hank alone, but some teams like the Bruins have a couple of idiots who now will think twice before doing it again.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
Interesting theory.

Here's some of the personnel the Rangers were up against in those 16 games sans Glass:

Shawn Thornton, Dan Carcillo, Chris Neil, Zack Sill, Steve Downie, Cal Clutterbuck, Matt Martin, Andrew Desjardins, Kyle Clifford, Patrick Maroon, Clayton Stoner, Nicolas Deslauriers, Patrick Kaleta, Cody McCormick, Derek Dorsett, Radko Gudas, Zac Rinaldo (x2), Wayne Simmonds (x2)

Can you cite any times the Rangers were exposed without Glass last season?

Not specifically.

But these are the types of things that happen to your star players when the guy you have to answer to is Sean Avery.

This is just an example

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Not specifically.

But these are the types of things that happen to your star players when the guy you have to answer to is Sean Avery.
And here's an example of what can happen when the guy you have to answer to is Tanner Glass:

(Side note: Byfuglien did not have to answer to Tanner Glass.)

Wolfy already provided some examples of the bad things that can happen when McIlrath is in the lineup.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
And here's an example of what can happen when the guy you have to answer to is Tanner Glass:

Wolfy already provided some examples of the bad things that can happen when McIlrath is in the lineup.

So you agree that it is important to have a guy that is comfortable fighting in the lineup?

That's the only point at hand here

Whether it's Glass or McIlrath is not my concern, but I think one of them has to be there, unless we are playing a team that doesn't call for the need to have one of them.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
I'd be fascinated to know how you came to that conclusion.

It's hockey. Not soccer.

That's how.

Standing up for teammates through physical play / fighting will always be a part of the game.

If we're up 5-0 against the Flyers in the 3rd period, what do you think is gonna happen? They're just gonna play a clean 3rd and lose the game? Forecasting for these situations is part of a coaches decision to keep certain guys in the lineup / healthy scratches. Not all 82 games end 3-2 with clean hockey being played throughout the entire game.

The goons on that squad are gonna have to hit / fight someone. I'd prefer them to hit / fight Glass or McIlrath than hit / fight Nash.

Last edited:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Looks like Diaz and Megan both cleared waivers. Will Megna and Diaz stay with us in the AHL?

Wolfy provided examples? Where is Wolfy?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Except this team isn't soft when it has Kreider, Miller, Stalberg, Stoll, Moore, Girardi, Staal, Klein, etc, etc.

This notion that we're soft because we don't have a "fighter" is utter *********.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
It's hockey. Not soccer.

That's how.

Standing up for teammates through physical play / fighting will always be a part of the game.

If we're up 5-0 against the Flyers in the 3rd period, what do you think is gonna happen? They're just gonna play a clean 3rd and lose the game? Forecasting for these situations is part of a coaches decision to keep certain guys in the lineup / healthy scratches. Not all 82 games end 3-2 with clean hockey being played throughout the entire game.

The goons on that squad are gonna have to hit / fight someone. I'd prefer them to hit / fight Glass or McIlrath than hit / fight Nash.
ho0GuPp.png

Last time there was a big lead over the Flyers in the third, Del Zotto roughed up Stempniak. Let's do everything to avoid that.

You can list all the things that might happen, but when you look up a concrete example, they didn't happen.

As long as the Rangers have someone who can beat up Giroux, it wouldn't be in the Flyers' interest to start getting petty at the end of a blowout.

Detroit's leading fighter last season had 2 fights. They were among the healthiest teams in the league last season.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
Except this team isn't soft when it has Kreider, Miller, Stalberg, Stoll, Moore, Girardi, Staal, Klein, etc, etc.

This notion that we're soft because we don't have a "fighter" is utter *********.

I actually think were the opposite of soft. I think we're a strong, physical team. Doesn't change the fact that McIlrath or Glass will be in the majority of the games for the sole reason they are willing and comfortable dropping the gloves. It makes guys a little more relaxed on the bench for certain types of games and situations.

There's a reason Kreider found it important to take boxing lessons...

Wolfy*

If you have 20 Jeff Skinner's on the ice, 6 guys will be in the locker room by the end of the 1st period.

The physical aspect of Hockey is important.

Indeed. This is the fastest team sport there is, with a lot of close contact. Things will always happen, we almost never see a game without a scrum or some pushing and shoving.

But I'm glad the staged fights and goons are gone, that stuff doesn't belong here.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015

I actually think were the opposite of soft. I think we're a strong, physical team. Doesn't change the fact that McIlrath or Glass will be in the majority of the games for the sole reason they are willing and comfortable dropping the gloves. It makes guys a little more relaxed on the bench for certain types of games and situations.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
ho0GuPp.png

Last time there was a big lead over the Flyers in the third, Del Zotto roughed up Stempniak. Let's do everything to avoid that.

You can list all the things that might happen, but when you look up a concrete example, they didn't happen.

As long as the Rangers have someone who can beat up Giroux, it wouldn't be in the Flyers' interest to start getting petty at the end of a blowout.

Detroit's leading fighter last season had 2 fights. They were among the healthiest teams in the league last season.

Don't bother with logic and facts, it's too much to handle

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
ho0GuPp.png

If looking up the box score of one (1) particular games helps you think we don't need a guy who can drop the gloves than so be it.

Again, every game is different.

As to your previous example, if we're playing the Red Wings (apparently) we don't need either of them.

If we're playing a different team (with Rinaldo on it or someone of the likes of him), it'd be nice to have one of them.

That's all.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
If looking up the box score of one (1) particular games helps you think we don't need a guy who can drop the gloves than so be it.

Again, every game is different.

As to your example, if we're playing the Red Wings (apparently) we don't need either of them.

If we're playing a different team, it'd be nice to have one of them.

That's all.
You gave a very specific example, I gave a very specific response.

But why don't the Red Wings need one when they play other teams?

Why, after years of not dressing a fighter, have they not seen the negative consequences you're talking about, and changed their ways?

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
Don't bother with logic and facts, it's too much to handle

"One of the staples of Mike Babcock’s final few years in Detroit was the health of his team.

Specifically, the lack of it.

The Red Wings had 224 man games lost to injury last season, per the appropriately named website Man Games Lost. That was around the league average but, in ’13-14 — the year in which Detroit barely squeaked into the playoffs to keep its postseason streak alive — the Wings finished with the second-most man games lost in the NHL, with 421.
"

Sick "facts".

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015

Why, after years of not dressing a fighter, have they not seen the negative consequences you're talking about, and changed their ways?

"One of the staples of Mike Babcock’s final few years in Detroit was the health of his team.

Specifically, the lack of it.

The Red Wings had 224 man games lost to injury last season, per the appropriately named website Man Games Lost. That was around the league average but, in ’13-14 — the year in which Detroit barely squeaked into the playoffs to keep its postseason streak alive — the Wings finished with the second-most man games lost in the NHL, with 421."

Where are you getting the idea that "the Red Wings are healthy" from? You gave a very specific example, I gave a very specific response.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

I like how he's complaining about you cherry picking as if he's provided even a single fact to the contrary other than "no, it's this way, deal with it".

Wolfy*

The fact that the Red Wings are soft is the reason why they struggle and have a lot of injuries.

And the reason Babcock finally left..

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
I like how he's complaining about you cherry picking as if he's provided even a single fact to the contrary other than "no, it's this way, deal with it".

Look around the National Hockey League

Doesn't take a genius to realize it's important to have a physical aspect to your hockey team and not just pure skill.

So, yes.."it's this way"..and yes..we should "deal with it."

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
LMFAO because Toronto is gonna wear people down like the Broad Street Bullies. Give me a ****ing break. I can give you 50 million reason$ why Babcock joined Toronto.

Look around the National Hockey League

Doesn't take a genius to realize it's important to have a physical aspect to your hockey team and not just pure skill.

Tampa and Chicago?

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
Tampa and Chicago?

Kings? Bruins?

It changes every year bud.

Skill is important. Physicality is important.

I don't see what there is to debate about.

If you walk into a hockey locker room and say "physical play is not important" they're gonna tell you to get the **** out.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
AV said he fully expects Diaz to go to the AHL. He said he is under contract with us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad