Breakaways (What to do on)

teamstag

Jun 18, 2005
Spruce Grove
I don't have the greatest hands ( :p: ), nor have I had many breakaways, but I'd probably shoot 95% of the time.

Just read the goalie, throw in some leg pumps and head fakes, and let her go ;) .

phillyphan

Oct 12, 2005
philly-temple
be sure of yourself, thats the most important. pick a move or shot and try to sell it. be sure to keep your speed up. if you choose to shoot dont look at the spot of the net you choose but either the oppisite side of the net or the ball (that is if your skilled enough to do so) i have had many goalies tell me that they were fooled not by my shot or moves but rather but body position and eyes. body movement fools goalie much more than stickhandling

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
I look forward to try that this Sunday. I have two games on Sunday to apply the precious advice you provided me with. Thanks. I will re-read the advice to make sure I understand them, and make some trials by myself with the net that I bought. As someone pointed it out, I need to be sure of myself when with the ball. On my last two chances, I was sure that I would fail before I even tried. It`s incredible how many goals I missed. It is as if there was a force against me! :madfire:

Qui Gon Dave

Aug 3, 2005
Cheshire, England
Hockeylover said:
I look forward to try that this Sunday. I have two games on Sunday to apply the precious advice you provided me with. Thanks. I will re-read the advice to make sure I understand them, and make some trials by myself with the net that I bought. As someone pointed it out, I need to be sure of myself when with the ball. On my last two chances, I was sure that I would fail before I even tried. It`s incredible how many goals I missed. It is as if there was a force against me! :madfire:

Best of luck with the games, let us know how you get on. Also, if things dont work out immediately, stick with it. Keep practicing the things you find of most use and develop/refine your technique as time goes by. I reckon you'll do fine though. :)

CH Wizard

I play both ice and floor hockey. It's easier to me to score on ice, I'm fast and I stickhandle alot before shooting and the goalie gets tired and make the move then the most of the time, I go to the right side and complete with a nice backhand shot.

On ice, I never try my slick moves because I can some SICK, SICK moves with the puck. I make these moves while playing roller/floor hockey. On the ice, it's easier to try to keep the puck on your stick....I can make a nice 360 move on the ice, it's sick as ****.

My tip: Wait the goalie to make the first move, if he doesn't make the first move, shot (five hole), then you'll be proud of yourself and send him to hell. Though, if you don't have a quick release, you could always try to shot on the lower side.

Last edited by a moderator:

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
I'm absolutely terrible at breakaways but I tried the Pavel Bure skate-to- stick move for a laugh and because I was desperated and I totallly fooled the goalie and scored. It was amazing.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
I've never been fast enough to have gotten a good breakaway.

but if I ever do, I'll make sure to scream real loud an instant before I shoot to distract the goalie.

MeatTornado

I was born ready
Oct 25, 2004
Vancouver
My favorite thing to do on a breakaway is to just get a lot of speed coming at a bit of an angle from my right side, and just when the goalie starts moving to his other side, I rip a quick shot glove side.

As for dekeing, faking a shot just before you go into the deke often handcuffs the goalie, and from there you just fake to one side, and when he goes for it, quickly go to the other side and put it in.

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
Tomorrow is a great day: I have two games where I can make some tests. I intend to avoid to do one thing I've done so far: Going straight on the goalie. Instead, I will come on him from his right. I will go across the net, make a little move with my stick and shoot with my back-end shot. If I have my teamate on my side, uncovered, I will pass to him for sure. Easy to say, but maybe not that much when the break-away is happening! :shakehead

Next Saturday, I will climb the CN Tower in Toronto! :handclap: If interested to come along, please email me and I will give you my phone number so we see each other at the climb. One can encourage the other to get to the top. Now I don't know which of you or I will be the one needing encouragement...

I had not done stair climbing for many months. I've just walked a few minutes ago the equivalent of the CN Tower in my building. I made it in one hour. So
I'm ready! :) I was never really out of breath. I think I'd be ready to go back and climb for another 15 minutes. I will stop here to avoid leg pain in the morning...

http://www.cntower.ca/portal/GetPage.aspx?at=1283

Saturday October 22

PUBLIC CLIMB
6-11 am (climbers must arrive by 10am to climb)

The CN Tower proudly hosts this 28th annual stair climb sponsored by
Enbridge and the CN Tower to raise money for the United Way of Greater
Toronto and over 200 Toronto agencies it provides for. This popular
annual fundraising event draws thousands of people who want to climb
the stairs of the World's Tallest Building and Canada's Wonder of the
World and contribute to a very worthy cause.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
If you have a lot of open ice, and it is with a fresh sheet of ice... when you have some speed,
get the puck dead infront of you,
stick handle side to side,
pump,
then draw the puck back to the side you think you have the best chance dekng or shooting on and see what your best thing to do is....shoot, fade to that side and deke
or change sides and let 'er rip.

If the ice is worn out, think shot, fake one side shoot the other.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
I've always liked making the move like I am going backhand, then a quick deke and go forehand. That way I can catch the goalie moving and I don't have to worry about the shot. It's just a simple tap in. You can also reverse this.

Other then that I like to pump fake like I am going top corner (lol who am I kidding) and go five hole.

WVCapsFan

Jan 19, 2006
You have to learn what works for you. Part of learning what works is learning what doesn't work so you're well on your way.

What works for me is the good ole fake-wrister-curl-and-drag-to-the-backhand move. Here's how I do it. I am a right shot so I line up just inside the right post (goalie's left). I look up at the goal and back down just like I'm going to take a wrister. I drop my head and shoulder to make it look like I'm going to take a wrist shot. Then I pull the puck back and start dragging it as I go across the goal to the left. If the goalie opens up the 5 hole I take it. If not I continue to the backhand.

The important things are where you line up, selling the wrister, dropping the head and shoulders, and of course not losing control of the puck.

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
The best move I find you can make to almost always score on a breakaway is by going in on the goalie on your forehand, then going far wide on your backhand as you get closer to the goal, then going back to your forehand and tucking it into the empty net. Most goalies won't be in good enough position to get back and make the save after committing to your backhand.

mazzinov

Jan 8, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Since I am fast I like to pull a 'Luis Mendoza' Basically from Mighty Ducks 2, skate as fast as you can, and then stop in front of the goalie sending a shower of ice into their eyes. Then stuff the puck through the 5-hole....works every time.

raganblink

Feb 8, 2006
Mexico
as a defender, i never have gotten these. if i do though, im going to try to just carry the puck, with my stick, off the ice. then after a 360, i play on just shoving the puck into the net :) :) :) :) :)

RPIBruin

Nov 9, 2005
Shrewsbury
From a goalies perspective, quick shots from near high slot area can be confusing as well especially if you man make it look like you are starting to deke instead of shoot. Most players try to get very close so if you shoot it a little earlier they have a tendancy to be a bit on their heals in floor hockey which is what I think you said you were playing. Either way make sure you get a shot off or it has no chance of going in. Even the best goalies give up a softie every once and a while.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I had 3 breakaways and one in close one on one with the goalie on Saturday.

1 goal, 2 saves, one deked him out of his shorts and slid the puck wide along the ice. :shakehead

Could have had at least 6 or 7 points that game.

PensFanInCBus

Jan 14, 2004
One thing that I've had work is to let the puck move back into
your body. If you are going to shoot, it will change the shooting
angle and can buy you an extra inch or 2 to shoot at.

My typical move is to have the puck out in front, then when I get to the bottom of the circle, drag it back onto the forehand to my back foot. If the angle changes enough to attempt a shot, let 'er rip.

The upside of moving the puck back is that you are already set
to shoot.

If you decide to deke, you can either cut to the forehand side wide and go 5-hole or bring it across for a quick backhand.

Hope it helps - this is my only move that I have. 99% I shoot. But when you do deke from this position - it's money.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
In deck hockey, the best move is almost always to shoot. Dekes aren't fast enough on foot and a capable goalie won't overplay because he can't move as quickly either.

Grave77digger

Feb 27, 2004
profiles.sports.yahoo.com
stick9 said:
I've always liked making the move like I am going backhand, then a quick deke and go forehand. That way I can catch the goalie moving and I don't have to worry about the shot. It's just a simple tap in. You can also reverse this.

Other then that I like to pump fake like I am going top corner (lol who am I kidding) and go five hole.

This worked for me at open hockey. I went from forehand and made the move to back hand, the goalie slid across to cover the back hand and i just slid the puck forward right in front of me. Bad positioning on his part but i guess i mustve sold it.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
Grave77digger said:
This worked for me at open hockey. I went from forehand and made the move to back hand, the goalie slid across to cover the back hand and i just slid the puck forward right in front of me. Bad positioning on his part but i guess i mustve sold it.

Nice, least someone is scoring with that moves. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad