Break up the union?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HckyFght*

According to Bettman, all the league has to do to clear the way to re-opening it's doors is declare the NHL and the NHLPA at an impasse, and according to the commish, "you could argue we're already there, have been for six months, or even a year."
-HckyFght

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Malefic74 said:
There are at least a few owners who lose less money with empty buildings than they lose with full ones and the expenses they incur. To those owners this is definitely worth it.

Not only that they make money on their franchises. A TO franchise with a $31m cap is licence to print money. Its overall value would leap.

Meanwhile a weak franchise, that is losing money, might be seeing its value drop at present. Post owner friendly CBA- its value jumps right up too.

Lose $10m shutting down, make $50m in capital gains.

capman29

HckyFght said:
Whether or not all 30 teams get to participate in replacement games is immaterial to the objective to be gained. And that is for the NHL to reclaim control over capital outlay and correct the imperfections in the system that have thrown finances out of balance. Since the union has shown no desire to negotiate whatsoever, the only thing that could get their attention would be to stay in business and move forward without them. My guess is there are plenty of teams in right to work states for this to be a viable course of action.
-HckyFght

Yo buddy what part of the owners can't have replacemnt players while there is a lockout don't you understand ? Try and the feds would stop them under labor laws and the players would be able to sue them in federal court.

The big hammer is in the players hands and that hammer is decertifacation of their union which kills the owners under federal law. If the ( the players ) take that course of action all teams would have to bargain with each and every player which would cause a nightmare for the owners.

Before you post your opinions about something be sure you know what you are talking about. By the way the player will not cave in on this no cap business and the sooner the ownes & fans that support them learn that the sooner a solution can be reach. Failure of the owners to understand this position will result in a long lockout and and will not net them what they want.

So all you management su*k ups should ecurage management to get back to the table and bargain in good faith to get this issue resolved quickly.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
capman29 said:
Yo buddy what part of the owners can't have replacemnt players while there is a lockout don't you understand ? Try and the feds would stop them under labor laws and the players would be able to sue them in federal court.

The big hammer is in the players hands and that hammer is decertifacation of their union which kills the owners under federal law. If the ( the players ) take that course of action all teams would have to bargain with each and every player which would cause a nightmare for the owners.

Just how long would it take to draw up a few standard contracts, not long and players/agents/clubs would be fine with that.

No trades without players agreeing.

No RFAs, all UFAs.

$31m cap or lower if they want

No draft, no problem. Everyone can bid on prospects.

Prospects would probably sign 5 year deals or have to
find their own way through junior & AHL.

The owners would take that in an instant over what they have currently. Once they have what they want then they can get a union going again and fill in the blanks if they want, or not.

And the caps could kiss Overchkin & many of their other elite prospects goodbye because 29 other teams would also be offering contracts for their services :cry: . Works for me, my team might get some of them cause our prospects suck :banana: :handclap:

Go Flames Go*

me2 said:
Just how long would it take to draw up a few standard contracts, not long and players/agents/clubs would be fine with that.

No trades without players agreeing.

No RFAs, all UFAs.

$31m cap or lower if they want

No draft, no problem. Everyone can bid on prospects.

Prospects would probably sign 5 year deals or have to
find their own way through junior & AHL.

The owners would take that in an instant over what they have currently. Once they have what they want then they can get a union going again and fill in the blanks if they want, or not.

And the caps could kiss Overchkin & many of their other elite prospects goodbye because 29 other teams would also be offering contracts for their services :cry: . Works for me, my team might get some of them cause our prospects suck :banana: :handclap:

Horrible

31 million is way to low, 38-40 is more reasonable.

UFA at 29

Rookie max cap

non gaurnteed contracts.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Go Flames Go said:
Horrible

31 million is way to low, 38-40 is more reasonable.

UFA at 29

Rookie max cap

non gaurnteed contracts.

Horrible for the players not the owners. And that is my point. Capman thinks its a nightmare for the owners, its not, its a licence to print money even if it does make teams more unstable. What would an owner rather have, big profits and team instability, or team stability and big losses. Business can cope with people coming and going providing its profitable, it can't cope with continued loses.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
Chili said:
Some speculation on that here.

An owners wish list for sure but if things do drag on indefinitely who knows?

The NHL could set itself on the right track for a long healthy future with many changes, hopefully some of which will include improving the way the game is played. Let's get Bettman to get the salary cap in place, say thanks and then fire his a$$, and put Gretzky at the top. Gretzky will improve how the game is played on the ice. Or get someone else who will improve the on ice product.

This really picks me off... Because I am more interested in hockey now than I have been since 1993.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Licentia said:
The NHL could set itself on the right track for a long healthy future with many changes, hopefully some of which will include improving the way the game is played. Let's get Bettman to get the salary cap in place, say thanks and then fire his a$$, and put Gretzky at the top. Gretzky will improve how the game is played on the ice. Or get someone else who will improve the on ice product.

This really picks me off... Because I am more interested in hockey now than I have been since 1993.

Gretzky would have get rid of all ties to Phoenix.

HckyFght*

capman29 said:

Before you post your opinions about something be sure you know what you are talking about. By the way the player will not cave in on this no cap business and the sooner the ownes & fans that support them learn that the sooner a solution can be reach. Failure of the owners to understand this position will result in a long lockout and and will not net them what they want.

So all you management su*k ups should ecurage management to get back to the table and bargain in good faith to get this issue resolved quickly.

Clearly, I understand a great deal more than you do. First of all, the agreement between the players and management has expired. That means that if their negotiations are at an impasse, and it could most assuredly be argued that an impasse has been reached, the league is free to sign with another union, the same union or no union at all. If they went with non-union players, those players are, by law, free to organize. The "hammer" is in the hands of ownership. I would like to see them use it. Training camps for replacements should open today.
-HckyFght

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Chili said:
We'll see but an old saying goes 'how bad do you want it?'. Short term pain for long term gain. I don't know how much resolve the owners have (nor the players). We shall see.

& people call that ''FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME''

very disgusting & ironic

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Sadly I don't think that this di$pute has anything to do with anyones love of the game.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Chili said:
Sadly I don't think that this di$pute has anything to do with anyones love of the game.

You're right , it's not about the ''love of the game''

This is a BUSINESS !!!

But if you ask me who got more love for the game between owners & the players, it's very easy to me.

Players play hockey since they are 4-5-6-7 years old.

Half of the owners got a NHL franchise because it give them the opportunity to be recognize as a healthy business man & that you bought that toy just for the fun of having it.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Russian fan,
as a Habs fan, can you HONESTLY state unequivocally that there is a player in the Canadiens organization who loves the game more than owner George Gillett?

Make no mistake, NHL players are a LOT different when they've reached the big time and the slimeball agents have already gotten their claws in them. Not to mention their declaration of union solidarity. Right now, it's hard to find the inner child in them, those kids that just love to play the game. It's all about the benjamins once labor unrest is declared.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Jag68Vlady27 said:
Russian fan,
as a Habs fan, can you HONESTLY state unequivocally that there is a player in the Canadiens organization who loves the game more than owner George Gillett?

Make no mistake, NHL players are a LOT different when they've reached the big time and the slimeball agents have already gotten their claws in them. Not to mention their declaration of union solidarity. Right now, it's hard to find the inner child in them, those kids that just love to play the game. It's all about the benjamins once labor unrest is declared.

Saku Koivu, Ex-Stéphane Quintal, Steve Begin, José Théodore, they all love hockey way more than Gillett & his toy he bought.

I have no doubt about it. I just pu 4 players but I could at least name 75% of them.

Gary

Not a bad article, but I disagree with the part about guaranteed contracts. If a player decides he wants to play elsewhere, but the team won't trade him, it would be too easy to float until the team gets tired and either trades him or cuts him. It would be much better to make all contracts two way. If your not performing, to the minors with you!

Well teams are guarenteeing yashin or jagr to $7 mill + contracts only to have them float as it is...what's the big difference? It's actually better cause if someone on your team wants to 'coast' you could just buy out his ($2 million contract or so under the new CBA) and be done with him. You'd have to sell a bank to pay off some of the stiffs playing in the league today.

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Russian Fan said:
Saku Koivu, Ex-Stéphane Quintal, Steve Begin, José Théodore, they all love hockey way more than Gillett & his toy he bought.

I have no doubt about it. I just pu 4 players but I could at least name 75% of them.

If they love the game more they will give in before its damaged. They can live well on $1.3m each.

If they love their paychecks more they'll fight it out as hard as they can.

We'll see by January.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad