Player Discussion: Brayden Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Oh I'm sure he won't. But Yzerman managed to turn Steve Downie into Andrei Vasilevskiy and I'm optimistic that whatever we get for Namestnikov can be used to help us. For all we know someone will say, "We'll give you a 3rd for him." But at this point I just want to see us move on from Vladdy because he has the wrong kind of hockey IQ. He's good defensively but offensively he's terrible in open space, decision making and on-ice awareness.

I'm just ready to move on

Yeah, but Downie had that thing that GMs always overvalue and overpay for - truculence. And he produced fairly well on top of it beside MSL and Stammer. Vlad can't produce period.

I'm ready to move-on to, for the record, but I see the Vlad issue as separate and distinct from the Point/Johnson issue.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yeah, but Downie had that thing that GMs always overvalue and overpay for - truculence. And he produced fairly well on top of it beside MSL and Stammer. Vlad can't produce period.

I'm ready to move-on to, for the record, but I see the Vlad issue as separate and distinct from the Point/Johnson issue.

Fair enough. I'm just hoping we can somehow re-sign Boyle in the off-season and get some other addition by subtraction on the roster. Jon Cooper is about a C- coach but the loss of Filppula and his subsequent performance in Philadelphia shows us there have been several flaws in the Lightning roster. I feel like it's gonna be the same for Namestnikov.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Boyle coming back is a pipe dream. Don't expect that. First - I doubt we want to pay him what he wants (will likely want a raise from his 2.5m as it is), and second, the amount of times a guy has been traded and then re-signed with that team has to be in the single digits.

Bolts265

Nov 9, 2011
Zephyrhills, FL
I'd rather just keep Johnson and Point behind Stamkos. Namestnikov is verging on the point of useless and if we're going to move a forward to upgrade the defense he's tops on my list. You can never have enough center depth but I'll be darned if that isn't lousy depth.

What idiot GM is going to give us a top 4 d man for this underperforming foward?

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Namestnikov is a cheap depth player that can fill different positions. Why the **** would you move him, to get a 3rd rounder in return and break the bank to get another depth player via free agency ? I understand he really hasn't lived up to the expectations and that pissed everyone off, including me, but we gotta think rationally, not emotionally. Vladdy is "only" a disappointment, not an issue.

As for Johnson, I'd say keep him you can't have too much depth at center, and the idea to have Stamkos-Johnson-Point centering the first 3 lines makes drool.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Player|GP|G|A|P|+/-|PIM|S%|FO%
Tyler Johnson|66|19|26|45|-5|28|14.6|52.0
Brayden Point|68|18|22|40|+4|14|14.8|44.7

Not too bad for a rook.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Had faith in Point from Day 1, yall haters finally saw what I've always known Point was capable of.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Anyways, we need to keep both Point and Johnson while Point is on his ELC, makes no sense to get rid of one right now. Both are undersized centers and one or the other is going to get injured on a yearly basis. When Point is up for his raise, then it's time to trade Johnson. Until then, we need all the depth we can get.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Anyways, we need to keep both Point and Johnson while Point is on his ELC, makes no sense to get rid of one right now. Both are undersized centers and one or the other is going to get injured on a yearly basis. When Point is up for his raise, then it's time to trade Johnson. Until then, we need all the depth we can get.

Agreed my dood

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011

I agree in that we shouldn't be *looking* to unload Johnson, but if the right deal came along I think Point has at least made it interesting.

I still think our forwards are pretty sick, though. Point on the third line with some of our skilled young guys - maybe Erne and someone else (Killorn if he isn't in Vegas?), gives us really nice depth.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Point named 3rd star of the week: https://www.nhl.com/lightning/news/...oint-named-nhl-third-star-of-week/c-288648280

Point shared second place in the NHL with 4-2-6 in four games as the Lightning (42-30-10, 94 points) wrapped up their season with three victories in four starts.

After being held off the scoresheet in a 4-0 loss to the Boston Bruins April 4, Point bounced back with two goals - his second career multi-goal performance - in a 4-1 triumph over the Toronto Maple Leafs April 6.

He added one assist in a 4-2 win against the Montreal Canadiens April 7 before closing the season with a career-high three points (2-1-3), including the decisive goal, in a 4-2 victory over the Buffalo Sabres April 9.

The 21-year-old Calgary native finished 2016-17 eighth among rookies with 18-22-40 in 68 contests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad