Player Discussion: Brayden Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?dpid=93977&tab=scr
"What makes him stand out is that he's one of those guys who won't be denied. He has that competitive factor where he can go out there, make a difference and make it at a quick pace."
http://boltprospects.com/content/2014-draft-3rd-round-80th-overall
Strengths:
Dynamic puckhandler with top notch creativity and playmaking skills. Well above average hockey sense and soft hands in tight around the net. Shifty, darting, hard to catch and even harder to stop.

Weaknesses:

Tiny, and at 160 lbs lacks the strength to stand up to the rigors of the pro game. Questionable whether his frame can support putting the bulk on he needs.

Projection:

Second line scoring center or AHL/European league scoring champ.

Comparisons:

Valtteri Filppula

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
I love to see "under-sized" players get drafted. Year after year teams look like complete fools for letting a player fall because he's not big enough.

On another point though, I love looking at the social media accounts of players before the NHL PR team insulates them.

Brayden Point seems like a huge jerk. lol. Has a public instagram and felt the need to start yelling at some girl who commented on his pictures. Hockey player's reputations as being d-bags as people are so well-earned.

Selyanin

#StammerTime
May 2, 2014
The North
Brayden Point seems like a huge jerk. lol. Has a public instagram and felt the need to start yelling at some girl who commented on his pictures. Hockey player's reputations as being d-bags as people are so well-earned.

I think he was joking because it was his gf.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
My thoughts:

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/

#15 - Brayden Point - Moose Jaw Warriors - C - R - 5'9 - 160

Point is a small and dynamic offensive player from the Moose Jaw Warriors. He's an explosive player who works extremely hard, isn't afraid to get dirty and has great skills with the puck and at distributing the puck. His offensive skills are right at the top of this draft class from the WHL and he did his best to carry the Warriors this season, putting up 36 goals and 91 points, despite not having a ton of help to work with offensively. The biggest downfall with his game is his size. Not only his height, but his weight and body composition. He's tiny, there's no other way to put it. If he was 5'11 and 180 pounds, he would be a legit contender to be taken in the top 30 picks, if not higher.

NHL Style Comparison: Jiri Hudler

Top End NHL Potential: 2nd line forward

Pick Prediction: Late 3rd round

gojays

Jan 15, 2007
Great pick up.

I've seen 120 whl games the last 3 years. Point is one of the best players I have seen during that time. He has the skill to be a first rounder. Only reason he drops to 7th round is his size. But this guys is tenacious and strong on the puck. I think he is the steal of the later rounds of the draft. A lot of teams will regret not picking him.

Reactions: DFC

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Bump. He is playing for Canada at the World Juniors. How do you guys think he has looked, and what sort of impact do you see him making if/when he makes the NHL?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Bump. He is playing for Canada at the World Juniors. How do you guys think he has looked, and what sort of impact do you see him making if/when he makes the NHL?

He's probably a guy who won't really answer that kind of question until we get to see him in Syracuse.

Yzlamic Preacher*

Bobby Mack just sang the highest praises of Point on Tsn. Talking about how everytime he saw Point in the WHL, he was the best player on the ice. That's something from the Man, the Myth, the Professor, The Wizard, Bob McKenzie.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Bobby Mack just sang the highest praises of Point on Tsn. Talking about how everytime he saw Point in the WHL, he was the best player on the ice. That's something from the Man, the Myth, the Professor, The Wizard, Bob McKenzie.

He's done that at every opportunity too. And Bob is pretty reserved.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I've watched Point a few times this season, I'd say he's fairly comparable with Tyler Johnson (light)

I've been saying this as well. Fast, tenacious in puck battles, smart, and he has an excellent two-way game. Cooper would love this guy.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
how did he do in the jr's? I didnt watch any of the games or look up?
He was Canada's 13th forward for most of the WJC, so he didn't get much ice time. When he did play, he looked good.

I've watched Point a few times this season, I'd say he's fairly comparable with Tyler Johnson (light)
Yep. He's not as fast as Johnson, but he's got a good motor. Like Yzlamic Extremist said, he's very tenacious on the forecheck. And like Johnson he's not afraid to go to and is surprising good in the dirty areas for a guy his size. He's got plenty of skill too.

Last edited:

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I believe Point was recently voted the top player in the WHL by players and coaches. Huge compliment beating out a guy like Reinhart and several other high draft picks.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
When I saw him in Brandon what stuck with me was how accurate he was with his wrist shot From inside the circles. He put that puck exactly where he wanted it. It's probably why he scores so much ... that wrister is money.

Yzlamic Preacher*

I believe Point was recently voted the top player in the WHL by players and coaches. Huge compliment beating out a guy like Reinhart and several other high draft picks.

Source? I can't find anything about this anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->