Braves hire Alex Anthopolous

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Will be very interesting to see if he starts to trade prospects from their loaded farm system to try and win now like he did with the Jays. My guess is yes.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I love how hoping to avoid more shenaginas they go and hire a Greek guy. The irony is hilarious

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
iirc he's traditional old school type not much into analytics

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Like the hire for Atlanta. They're a team on the verge of becoming good again. Be interesting to see what he does with them.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Perfect choice for them. Unfortunate that Rogers decided hiring the idiot Shapiro was more important than keeping the guy who turned your franchise around.

Probably learned a lot working with Friedman the last 2 years.

Reactions: sparxx87

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
iirc he's traditional old school type not much into analytics

Definitely not true. He's not the most analytics focused GM in the league but he's most assuredly a new school GM. Fellow Canadian Farhan Zaidi hired him with the Dodgers, and Zaidi is one of the most analytics focused GMs in the league.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Perfect choice for them. Unfortunate that Rogers decided hiring the idiot Shapiro was more important than keeping the guy who turned your franchise around.

Yep. AA has the balls to make moves and try to make his team better.

He’s shopping for Ferrari’s and Lambos while Shapiro and Atkins love the value they get in Hyundai.

Reactions: Voight

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Certainly good for baseball. He likes making big trades, kind of like Burke in the NHL. He gets a lot of flak for the the Dickey trade but he also made the Donaldson trade. He also built a solid farm system for us. Good hire.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

You realize it was his choice to leave right? Iirc he wanted out.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Certainly good for baseball. He likes making big trades, kind of like Burke in the NHL. He gets a lot of flak for the the Dickey trade but he also made the Donaldson trade. He also built a solid farm system for us. Good hire.

The Tulo/Price trades also reinvigorated not only the team, but the cities love for baseball.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
The Tulo trade looks awful with hindsight.

I think this is a good move for the Braves though.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
he's remembered well in toronto because he didn't have to clean up the mess he left.

What mess exactly? The team went on to make back-to-back ALCS' after not making the playoffs the previous 22 years.... pretty much every player was acquired by him minus EE/Bautista.

The Tulo trade looks awful with hindsight.

I think this is a good move for the Braves though.

Reyes had struggled and it looked like he was about to fall off a cliff and they were offered someone who at the time was arguably the best SS in baseball, Hoffman was just a prospect who could have easily flopped so it was a no brainer.

Reactions: Virtanen18

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
What mess exactly? The team went on to make back-to-back ALCS' after not making the playoffs the previous 22 years.... pretty much every player was acquired by him minus EE/Bautista.

Reyes had struggled and it looked like he was about to fall off a cliff and they were offered someone who at the time was arguably the best SS in baseball, Hoffman was just a prospect who could have easily flopped so it was a no brainer.

EE/JoeyBats aren't exactly insignificant but you are right. He put together a the bulk of that team. Would it have been nice to have Syn instead of Dickey during the 2015/2016 seasons? Sure. That trade is going to sting. Syn was a great talent and I don't think anyone really thought RA was going to repeat his CY season but he was still a quality pitcher for the Jays that ate up a lot of innings and a consistent presence for his tenure here. The MIA trade didn't turn out nearly as well as expected but it was 100% the right move. Buehrle was as advertized and was huge for the team. JJ was just awful but no one saw that coming. Everyone in the lead thought we were getting a potential CY pitcher. Reyes was fine for a while but his skills declined heavy in the 2015 season so getting Tulo was absolutely the right move at the time. People are forgetting that Reyes was still owed an a$$load of cash for the next few years and he was basically garbage at that point. Now, maybe we're in the same boat with Tulo now but having him in 2015 and 2016 was a huge addition. And yes, Hoffman looks like he might be a player but he still hasn't proved anything really at the MLB level. Jays were trying to win so having him and Reyes instead of Tulo would have been worse for the team. Price was amazing for the Jays down the stretch in 2015 so I have no problems there. He's still David Price so he obviously wasn't stellar in the playoffs but he was still an upgrade and we got to game 6 of the ALCS with him. Norris and Boyd might be OK for the Tigers but they haven't done much in their short time there as well. AA made a lot of moves and some of them were homeruns and some didn't turnout as expected but he certainly didn't tank the team's future.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

The Shapiro and Atkins that have their finger prints all over the current Indians right? The hilarious thing about the way AA is thought of in Toronto is that 6 months before he left people were talking about firing him....if he was still here today...people would be ready to fire him. The one thing he did really well was plan his exit perfectly.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I think the Braves did well this signing. AA should have them in the playoffs in the next few seasons. They should be a World Series contender for years to come.

AA's last gift to the Jays was signing Vlad Guerrero Jr. prior to leaving. Not too shabby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad