Confirmed with Link: Brassard to Pittsburgh for 2018 1st, Gustavsson, Ian Cole

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
According to Bob McKenzie, the Penguins apparently expressed interest in Brassard shortly after playing Ottawa a little while ago but weren't certain they could make a trade work cap wise.

Rutherford shortly after found out that Vegas had interest in Ryan Reaves because McPhee was looking for a Reaves "type of player".

This resulted in Vegas "buying" a 4th+Reaves for the cash they retained on Brassard's deal.

Reactions: thinkwild

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
According to Bob McKenzie, the Penguins apparently expressed interest in Brassard shortly after playing Ottawa a little while ago but weren't certain they could make a trade work cap wise.

Rutherford shortly after found out that Vegas had interest in Ryan Reaves because McPhee was looking for a Reaves "type of player".

This resulted in Vegas "buying" a 4th+Reaves for the cash they retained on Brassard's deal.

That makes a lot of sense. Not circumvention. But you can decide whether you think it should be considered fair. Selling draft picks has been done. If both sides can find good value in doing it, why not i guess, they are assets for dealing.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Dorion on Gustaf:

« Cette année, on est en 29e place donc on devait faire des changements. Certains sont difficiles, mais il faut donner de bons joueurs pour obtenir de bons éléments pour l’avenir. On pense avoir obtenu notre prochain gardien numéro un (Filip Gustavsson) », a commenté le dirigeant des Sens.

Translation: ''We think we got our next #1 goalie''

They are pretty high on him
Hope it pans out that way

Reactions: Newgates59

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Dorion on Gustaf:

« Cette année, on est en 29e place donc on devait faire des changements. Certains sont difficiles, mais il faut donner de bons joueurs pour obtenir de bons éléments pour l’avenir. On pense avoir obtenu notre prochain gardien numéro un (Filip Gustavsson) », a commenté le dirigeant des Sens.

Nice that they are really high on him, but that's gotta hurt hearing that if you're Hogberg (or Condon I guess)...

Reactions: aragorn

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Nice that they are really high on him, but that's gotta hurt hearing that if you're Hogberg (or Condon I guess)...
He's only 19 and won't be ready for maybe another 3-4 years. That's a massive head start for either one to grab the net going forward, if they can't take advantage that's on them.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I'm really excited about Gus.

First legit goalie prospect we've had since... O'Connor? LOL.

Well, I guess Hogberg counts too.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Dorion on Gustaf:

He also add, I think it was in English, that after his season in sweden Gustavsson would be coming in NA to start his NA pro career in Belleville. Next year he will play in Belleville ''For sure"". Unless, he play better than our 2 NHL goalies.. Who knows?! ( with a little smile )

I'm paraphrasing what he said, but that's the general idea. He talk when he saw him play, how he felt when he saw his play, etc.

I believe it's would not be surprising to see him in NA soon. He just hope they gave him and Hogberg the net in Belleville..

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Looking at it like this it doesn't look that bad

You're confusing quantity with quality.

7th in 2018 and Moutrey aren't even worth discussing.

PIT 1st and OTT 2nd will probably be less than 10 picks apart, so a 2nd is about the cost that it would take to move up from 34th into the late 1st.

Deal basically boils down to:

Zibanejad for Gustavsson, 2nd, 5M in cap space

It's pretty bad. Young top 2 line centers should return much more if they are traded.

Reactions: Icelevel

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

PIT 1st and OTT 2nd will probably be less than 10 picks apart, so a 2nd is about the cost that it would take to move up from 34th into the late 1st.

It's pretty bad. Young top 2 line centers should return much more if they are traded.

If you look at trading Zib and a 2nd and a 3rd
and getting back
A 1st, 2 3rds, an A prospect, a 7th and a potential ECHL star I think its not that bad.. Not saying its great or anything.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

What does 5 mil in cap space get us? Last year Shattenkirk went for 6.25 as did Radulov. I know that's an extra 1.25 mil, but I'd be willing to toss in a 3rd to cover the difference and have Gustavsson, 2nd and Radulov/Shattenkirk over Zibanejad and a 3rd.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
What does 5 mil in cap space get us? Last year Shattenkirk went for 6.25 as did Radulov. I know that's an extra 1.25 mil, but I'd be willing to toss in a 3rd to cover the difference and have Gustavsson, 2nd and Radulov/Shattenkirk over Zibanejad and a 3rd.
So would I, but we are not going to be able to compete on the UFA market because of who we are.

We overpay to get bottom tier guys, we won't be getting impact guys at market price for sure.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So would I, but we are not going to be able to compete on the UFA market because of who we are.

We overpay to get bottom tier guys, we won't be getting impact guys at market price for sure.

At the end of the day, I feel that's a bit self inflicted. If we were a cap team, we'd probably be better able to convince guys to sign here. Guys like winning more than anything, and I feel if we were willing to spend to the cap, that commitment towards winning would help entice UFA to sign here at market value.

That said, the point being made was 5 mil has value, and potentially lots of it. Maybe it's not Shattenkirk or Radulov but that cash needs to be turned into something tangible to get a feel for the value; leaving it as 5 mil cap room devalues it imo and doesn`t really do the deal justice.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
At the end of the day, I feel that's a bit self inflicted. If we were a cap team, we'd probably be better able to convince guys to sign here. Guys like winning more than anything, and I feel if we were willing to spend to the cap, that commitment towards winning would help entice UFA to sign here at market value.

That said, the point being made was 5 mil has value, and potentially lots of it. Maybe it's not Shattenkirk or Radulov but that cash needs to be turned into something tangible to get a feel for the value; leaving it as 5 mil cap room devalues it imo and doesn`t really do the deal justice.
But it also isn't actually a part of the deal. We just sent away Brassard, who would have accounted for xxx amount of said savings from Zibanejad.

I just don't personally look at that stuff, it all come full circle with respect to money at some point.

Much different than moving Phaneuf or Bobby.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Dorion on Gustaf:

Will always be on guard after the Lehner situation. Hope for the best though.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
But it also isn't actually a part of the deal. We just sent away Brassard, who would have accounted for xxx amount of said savings from Zibanejad.

I just don't personally look at that stuff, it all come full circle with respect to money at some point.

Much different than moving Phaneuf or Bobby.

Idk, you kind of have to account for the opening up of budget space though. I mean, if you didn't, it would be similar to suggesting accepting a cap dump in a trade has no negative impact on a trade.

In the end, the cap space is an asset that's hard to put into tangible terms, but with the right signing, that 5 mil could swing the pendulum our way. A 5 mil UFA dman could have gone a long way this year. A 5 mil LW could have kept Smith out of our top 6.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Idk, you kind of have to account for the opening up of budget space though. I mean, if you didn't, it would be similar to suggesting accepting a cap dump in a trade has no negative impact on a trade.

In the end, the cap space is an asset that's hard to put into tangible terms, but with the right signing, that 5 mil could swing the pendulum our way. A 5 mil UFA dman could have gone a long way this year. A 5 mil LW could have kept Smith out of our top 6.
It sure could have, but nothing was done. I don't expect that to change this offseason, that money will go to our guys and Melnyk, in all likelihood.

We had to overpay, and give a NTC to a guy like Nate Thompson. I fear what we would have to offer for an impact UFA.

No doubt cap space and money is an asset. That is if you use it; I fear we won't.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It sure could have, but nothing was done. I don't expect that to change this offseason, that money will go to our guys and Melnyk, in all likelihood.

We had to overpay, and give a NTC to a guy like Nate Thompson. I fear what we would have to offer for an impact UFA.

No doubt cap space and money is an asset. That is if you use it; I fear we won't.
I guess, but we seem to have a set budget which we typically do go up to, so if the argument is we wouldn't use the space created, then it stands to reason we'd let other assets go in favour of cheaper alternatives (like Stone or Hoffman) if we didn't free up this space. My point is simply that 5 mil has value whether it's signing a guy like Radulov or extending a guy like Karlsson. Either way, that would be money well spent imo, and in either case I'd rather do that, and have the assets from the trade, than just have Zibanejad. Simply put, the 5 mil has value and that value isn't fairly represented by contrasting it to more tangible assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->