Line Combos: Brassard plan B

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What about the Jets trading for Derek Stepan from the Coyotes. He has term and would be tradable in a year or two if we need to free up cap space.

6.5 mil for another 3 years. That contract would be very hard to trade without retaining. If Ari would retain, then it would be a good option. But they would have to eat at least 1.5 mil, preferably 2.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Playing center at the NHL level is grueling. It's a very different horse than the AHL. A lot of it has to do with reads and faceoff ability. Stat nerds will tell you faceoffs don't matter. Anyone who actually plays knows how important they are on a stamina level. Roslovic should be given a chance to show what he has though.

I don't think I can recall anybody saying FO's don't matter. They tend to be over-emphasized.

Otherwise agree though. Look at the difference in Frenchie's play after being relieved of C duty. Night and day. I think that, ideally NHL C's should be a little bigger. Which just makes Bryan Little's career performance all the more impressive, BTW.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't think I can recall anybody saying FO's don't matter. They tend to be over-emphasized.

Otherwise agree though. Look at the difference in Frenchie's play after being relieved of C duty. Night and day. I think that, ideally NHL C's should be a little bigger. Which just makes Bryan Little's career performance all the more impressive, BTW.

Little has done a good job on some bad teams. But more than likely he is a 2C on a contender. Size tends to matter for 1C's. There's a reason the protoypical 1C is 6'3.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Little has done a good job on some bad teams. But more than likely he is a 2C on a contender. Size tends to matter for 1C's. There's a reason the protoypical 1C is 6'3.

Little may not be as good now as he was 2-3 years ago. He performed at a 1C level. But I agree that the prototypical 1C has good size - and ideally all the other C's have some size as well.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
OK, sounds like we're in heavy on Plekanec.

Envisioning a healthy lineup with him in it and minutes somewhat like this (assuming 60 minutes 5 on 5):

Connor-Scheif-Wheeler (18 mins)
Matty P-Little-Roslo (13.5 mins)
Laine-Plecks-Ehlers (13.5 mins)
Copp-Lowry-Armia (15 mins)

Hendricks/Dano

Forgot Tanev

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I keep hearing the Jets are after Plekanec. What type of player is Plekanec at this point of his career, and how does he help us?

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
What about Zach Smith he would be an upgrade over Hendricks but in the same mold.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Plekanec would be an upgrade on Hendricks. It would be a depth move, in case Copp or Lowry are injured.

If Scheifele or Little are injured, I think Maurice will move Wheeler to C, as a first option.

Without injuries, when Lowry and Tanev back I think the Jets would start with...

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Roslovic
Ehlers-Copp-Laine
Tanev-Lowry-Armia

If they acquired Plekanec another option would be to move Copp to 4 LW instead of Tanev, and move Plekanec into 3C with Ehlers and Laine.

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
If we do not add any forwards, this what I hope our lineup is going into playoffs:

Connor/Scheif/Wheeler
Perrault/Little/Ehlers
Laine/Lowry/Roslovic
Tanev/Copp/Armia

Hendricks and Dano pb.

To be honest, I wanna see what we can do with what we have. When healthy, this team has a very nice mix of size, speed and skill. While we stand a chance getting exposed in an area or two this playoffs, I would rather identify those deficiencies in, what will be many of our players first kick at, playoffs and patch them in the offseason.

Who knows what level this young team is capable of reaching under the extreme stresses of playoffs. Laine elevated the hell out of his game a few years ago, in playoffs. Connor and Roslovic strike me as players that raise their games when it counts. We could be really good without making any changes.

But how are you going to be able to see what we can do with what we have, if we run into injuries again? Shouldn’t we make a move to protect against that?

Jetshockey

Nov 13, 2017
But how are you going to be able to see what we can do with what we have, if we run into injuries again? Shouldn’t we make a move to protect against that?

We would still have Matthias dano patan and Hendricks on the shelf. Teams playing well I'd just leave it.

Defence
Mor trouba
Enstrom buff
Kuli Myers
Char pool

We have imo 8 good defenceman. If we pick someone up who comes out? I can only see us getting a player if they think someones out long term.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

I am not opposed to adding depth at a respectable price.

I like our team healthy though, and am fine with status quo, at least for this years playoffs. Whatever areas we get exposed in in playoffs, rather address specifics that we know exist, in the offseason, when the price is cheaper.

Until we get into a hard 7 game, intense series, we won’t know what those weaknesses could be. I lean towards a need for more grit, toughness, but when we have a healthy Lowry and Trouba in the lineup, we improve in those areas dramatically.

Reactions: GNP and Jets2point0

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
I am not opposed to adding depth at a respectable price.

I like our team healthy though, and am fine with status quo, at least for this years playoffs. Whatever areas we get exposed in in playoffs, rather address specifics that we know exist, in the offseason, when the price is cheaper.

Until we get into a hard 7 game, intense series, we won’t know what those weaknesses could be. I lean towards a need for more grit, toughness, but when we have a healthy Lowry and Trouba in the lineup, we improve in those areas dramatically.

Couldn’t agree more

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
What would Jets have given up for Brassard, if VGK hadn’t retained salary?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Man we are really in a difficult situation, here.

I am all for geting Plekanec or Grabner, but what do we do with what we have? We have a really balanced team that has amazing chemistry. What if we pull a regular out to play one of these guys? I don't think we want to do that.

OTOH what if we make no moves and get 3 forwards injured? We are starting to get a bit thin there and anything on top of that could be worse.

I wonder if the Jets send Roslovic back down to be the top guy for the Moose in the playoffs. Seems crazy with what he's done here, but it makes the most sense. He can get big minutes and responsibility down there, get the experience and heaven forbid we lose a top 6 guy he comes up and slots right in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad