Brandon Wins Air Canada Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
This was an outstanding hockey game. Remember the name Parre, he played for the Quebec team. Looks to be a future star in the Q. This Quebec team is somewhat an allstar team with players from all over the place.

Full marks to the Brandon Team who played with great heart. This club team featuring only kids from Brandon stepped up with great goaltending and opportunistic scoring. Can't remember the names of their big players.

This tournament brings together Canada's best midget teams. It is the prime showcase for our U17 and WJ teams and counts among its tournament grads, Joe Sakic.

Great hockey game. Way to go Brandon - the West is Best!

BCCHL inactive

monster_bertuzzi said:
Who cares? They're children.

One word: Ignorance.

The National Midget Championship (formerly known as the Wrigley Cup and Air Canada Cup) features the best 15-17 year-old Midget AAA players in Canada. Some of the tournament alumni are the following.....

Glenn Anderson
Wendel Clark
Manny Fernandez
Simon Gagné
Ron Hextall
Olaf Kolzig
Al MacInnis
Randy McKay
Kirk McLean
Derek Morris
Larry Murphy
Lyle Odelein
Mike Peca
Cliff Ronning
Patrick Roy
Joe Sakic
Denis Savard
Steve Yzerman

...And this is only a select few of players who went on to play in the NHL after competing for the National Midget Championship.

The rest can be seen here...

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/e/championships/acc/alumni.html

Cayouche5

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
One of the best Midjet trio to ever play the game won this tournament a few years ago, M-A Pouliot, Steve Bernier and Dany Roussin.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
As a former Manitoba AAA Midget player who played in the Westerns a few years back, all I have to say is I'm very proud of the Wheaties. Manitoba has a different system than the rest of the country in AAA hockey. We only use local players and don't have hockey programs like the Notre Dame Hounds etc.

To see a local Manitoba team win says a lot for the very underrated program we have in this province.

On a side note Tyler Dittmer is a very good hockey player he'll be in the show one day. He's good both ways and will be with the Red Deer Rebels next year. He showed me a lot more than Fancis Pare today. Good for him. Kauk and the goalie Tyler Plante were very good for Brandon and probably have a futue in professional hockey as well.

I'm proud of the Wheaties. They earned it, and they were the better team today.

Beauty winning goal by the way!!

BCCHL inactive

Cayouche5 said:
One of the best Midjet trio to ever play the game won this tournament a few years ago, M-A Pouliot, Steve Bernier and Dany Roussin.

That was the 2001 tournament here in Prince George, BC. Pouliot and Roussin didn't impress as much as Bernier did. He dominated the tournament.

As for Manitoba's midget program, it is similar to British Columbia. Nothing but locals playing for the teams, and no provincial super league. I wouldn't call Manitoba's program underrated because of one championship. After all it is only one medal out of 20 plus years. BC is in the same boat, and that is why starting next season, BCAHA will have a provincial midget super league similar to that of provinces who field competitive teams for the national championship every year.

BC is sick and tired of only having a team at the National Championship when they host the tournament, and they are doing something about it. Hopefully, for Manitoba's sake, they will look at doing the same thing despite winning this season because if they don't change their program, Saskatchewan will continue to be the dominant Midget AAA force in the West Region.

BCCHL inactive

Jacobv2 said:
I'm with this guy.

If so, then you consider Crosby, Ovechkin and Malkin children too.

Midget AAA is players from 15-17 years of age.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Thanks Cherry, I just couldn't remember Wheat King star players. I agree, Tyler Dittmer was the best player on the ice and very talented players. From your post, it seems the rich get richer if Red Deer have his rights. Best player in today's game but I was still very impressed by Pare who played a ton and was dangerous on every shift.

Goalie Tyler Plante had a huge game and sounds like he was money to get this team into the tournament. Big kid, solid fundamentals, and good reflexes. Which WHL team has Plante's rights?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Van said:
If so, then you consider Crosby, Ovechkin and Malkin children too.
No, not necessarily. Ovechkin is my age, Malkin is borderline, and Crosby is definitely a child.

Midget AAA is players from 15-17 years of age.
These players have hopes of getting to major junior, right? Well, if they're already 17 and haven't made it, they probably aren't considered NHL prospects.

And just the same, 15 year olds probably aren't going to be scouted by NHL teams.

BCCHL inactive

Jacobv2 said:
These players have hopes of getting to major junior, right? Well, if they're already 17 and haven't made it, they probably aren't considered NHL prospects.

And just the same, 15 year olds probably aren't going to be scouted by NHL teams.

Midget AAA hockey isn't about being scouted by NHL clubs. Midget AAA hockey is meant to develop players for Major Junior and Junior A clubs.

There are many players who are Major Junior rookies at 18 and go on to be drafted by NHL clubs the following summer.

Just look at the list, provided above, of the tournament alumni who have gone on to play in the NHL.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Van said:
Midget AAA hockey isn't about being scouted by NHL clubs. Midget AAA hockey is meant to develop players for Major Junior and Junior A clubs.
That's fine. But don't tell me that I should give a damn about them.

BCCHL inactive

Jacobv2 said:
That's fine. But don't tell me that I should give a damn about them.

I never did. I was simply responding to the arrogance of coming in here and passing them off as "children". The vast majority of players on these teams will be leaving home to play junior hockey next season, and in some cases, they left home to play Midget AAA hockey this season.

You don't have to give a rats ass about them, but don't come in here and make stupid comments that belittle these kids who are working their asses off to shoot for their dreams.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Behind Enemy Lines said:
Goalie Tyler Plante had a huge game and sounds like he was money to get this team into the tournament. Big kid, solid fundamentals, and good reflexes. Which WHL team has Plante's rights?

I believe the WHL Wheat Kings have his rights. His dad played in the NHL as well by the way...so he's got the bloodlines.

Last edited:

Laurentides

Jan 22, 2003
Laval
Visit site
Paré was so impressive during this tournament...he scored 2 goals in each of his 5 first game. Then he scored 1 during the semi final. He didnt make any points in the final but he made some great plays and some crazy passes.

FACT : Benjamin Breault ( from Charles-Lemoyne ) willbe the #1 pick in the lhjmq.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Don_Cherry said:
I believe the WHL Wheat Kings have his rights. His da played in the NHL as well by the way...

Yeah, he's on Brandon's list.

And if anybody was wondering, his dad was Cam Plante, not Jacques Plante. ;)

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Laurentides said:
Paré was so impressive during this tournament...he scored 2 goals in each of his 5 first game. Then he scored 1 during the semi final. He didnt make any points in the final but he made some great plays and some crazy passes.

FACT : Benjamin Breault ( from Charles-Lemoyne ) willbe the #1 pick in the lhjmq.

FALSE!!

I know for a fact he wont be. He will be picked 3rd.

kedobs

Apr 29, 2004
Laurentides said:

Tough to state fact unless you are the GM... Don't state fact because you saw his name on the top of the CSL .... La-La-Laprise..... Read the same message to Laurentides ... You can tell me the facts the day after the draft.

I think Labrie goes higher then the end of the round... And watch out for Shepherd

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
kedobs said:
Tough to state fact unless you are the GM... Don't state fact because you saw his name on the top of the CSL .... La-La-Laprise..... Read the same message to Laurentides ... You can tell me the facts the day after the draft.

I think Labrie goes higher then the end of the round... And watch out for Shepherd

CB and HAL have the #1 pick and Sheppard is from NS, and Sheppard is better than Breault (I have watched both). A lot of people in Quebec havent watched Sheppard.

And I know for a FACT (trust me on this, i know you wont, but you will see on draft day) Bathurst will take Jonathan Bernier.

That leaves Victo to take Breault.

Labrie is pretty good but wont go any higher than 12th i dont think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad