Brandon Sutter

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I would like to hear some opinions on Brandon and what kind of player he projects to be at the next level. I have heard everything from he'll be a 4th line grinder to he'll be a 2nd line powerhouse and Selke candidate. What is the real deal with Sutter and who does he compare to that plays in the league now?

If you have any links to information that may be a bit obscure then I would be happy to see those as well. Just trying to take in as much as I can about him at the moment.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm kind of surprised he went as high as he did, given the way his play went completely in the tank after New Year's (2 goals in 40 games).

He's a smart, conscientous, hard-working player. He is not a physical or tough player or a 'typical Sutter', despite all the comments you see on that front. He does understand positioning and forechecking well, and puts himself in the right places on the ice.

He could go all over the place in terms of his offensive ability. His vision and playmaking are strong - sees the ice well, can make plays. In the offensive end of the rink, he's more of a finesse player than a Sutter meat-and-potatoes type. I've used Mikko Koivu as an example of his upside potential - lanky, 15 goal, 40 assist type who plays a really responsible two-way game. Skating is a question mark - odd, hunched-over style, suspect first-step quickness.

My concern is that without many really dynamic aspects to his game (skating, physical play, goalscoring) he could end up topping out as a responsible but low-impact big body on an NHL 3rd/4th line - something along the lines of a Boyd Devereaux or Jiri Novotny.

billbillbill

Jun 8, 2006
Not sure if you were watching, but on TSN they said that Brandon Sutter understands the game better than any player in the draft. So with that in mind, you'd think he'd a pretty strong bet to at least be a solid defensive player.

another guy who was hailed as a really "smart" hockey player (if memory serves) was Boyd Devereaux, though.

stazza18

Jul 14, 2005
Not sure if you were watching, but on TSN they said that Brandon Sutter understands the game better than any player in the draft. So with that in mind, you'd think he'd a pretty strong bet to at least be a solid defensive player.

another guy who was hailed as a really "smart" hockey player (if memory serves) was Boyd Devereaux, though.

But they also said that he hadn't matured physically. Who knows if he goes in the tank with some muscle growth.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
He was one of my favorites in this draft because of potential. His skating is seriously lacking power, and he is quite weak physically (or at least appears to be). His selling point is what he can accomplish with so little physical ability to work with. This is all due to his exceptional smarts and determination. He doesn't waste an inch of his skating stride, and often makes a play that a more physically gifted player would not, because he always seems to know the best way to do things and the best path to the puck. I truly think if he puts a lot of effort into his skating and strength training he can be a great 2nd line center. And maybe even 1st in the mold of poor man's Ronny Francis.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys. It's just like I figured, which is pretty all over the map. It seems the one consistant thing with this kid is that you feel strongly one way or the other about how he's going to turn out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad