Prospect Info: Brandon Hagel (2016, 159th) – '18-19: Rights relinquished; signs ELC with Chicago

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
This has not been talked about for a while, Brandon Hagel with 2 goals withthe Memorial Cup hosts Rebels 6-1 Victory. Bagel now has 16 goals and 18 assists in 31 games. A 2016 Draft Steal indeed

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
This has not been talked about for a while, Brandon Hagel with 2 goals withthe Memorial Cup hosts Rebels 6-1 Victory. Bagel now has 16 goals and 18 assists in 31 games. A 2016 Draft Steal indeed

Lol.

Let's see if he even ends up in the NHL before annnouncing him as a steal.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects -

Brandon Hagel scores his 19th of the season to give Red Deer a 2-1 lead on Victoria late in the 1st.

Brandon Hagel has points on all four Red Deer goals (1+3). That's his first four-point game this season. Third of his WHL career.

Brandon Hagel gets another assist. So he's now 1+4 for a career-high five points. Red Deer leads Victoria 5-2 in the 3rd.

Brandon Hagel adds another goal to his stack - his 20th of the year. That's a six-point night for Hagel (2+4) in the Rebs' 6-2 win. #Sabres

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Just six points last night?

Not bad I guess for a player Mike Harrington has never seen nor heard of as he writes off the rebuild

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010

Not bad I guess for a player Mike Harrington has never seen nor heard of as he writes off the rebuild

Priceless :)

This needs to be the center piece of a counter article at TBN

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

Harrington is an idiot.

Anyone who watched Hagel, even at the prospect game, saw his skill.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects -

Brandon Hagel's six points last night was the most in a single game for a #Sabres prospect since Gatineau's Paul Byron hit for 4+3 on 1/4/09.

Brandon Hagel's six points were the most for a #Sabres WHL prospect since Tyler Ennis' six-goal night for Medicine Hat on 2/27/09.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I think Hagels game will translate to the NHL. Maybe even more so than Pu. He's activate and quick and willing to take the body.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects -
Brandon Hagel starting pick it up again. He just netted his 26th of the year. Goals in three straight following an eight-game drought.
Brandon Hagel definitely feeling it. He's got his second of the game, 27th on the year. Red Deer leading at Medicine Hat 3-2 End 2nd.
Brandon Hagel's second goal was taken away from him, but that's okay since he just hit on a rebound and got it right back.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

LaxSabre - Since I posted this tweet on Thursday, March 16 - the goals actually happened on Tuesday, March 14. The two goals by Hagel led the Red Deer Rebels to a 8-3 win over the Medicine Hat Tigers and a spot in the WHL Playoffs which start a week from Saturday.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@Rebelshockey - Rebels Fun Fact - @Bhags9 is playing in his 135th game as a Rebel tonight. He has scored 40 goals and 70 assists for 110 points.

GOOOAAAAL! @Bhags9 with the tip off @fready_98's point shot makes it 1-0 Red Deer with 7:09 left in the 1st Period. Power-Play Goal

GOOOAAAL! Another PP goal for @Bhags9 - thanks to a textbook feed from Spacek - it's 2-0 Rebels. 17:12 left in 2nd Period.

LaxSabre
- Brandon Hagel finished the game with two goals and two assists - earning the first star of the game.
The Red Deer Rebels defeated the Calgary Hitman 5-1 and clinched third place in the Western Hockey Leagues Central Division.
They will face the Lethbridge Hurricanes in the first round of the WHL Playoffs. The first game of the series will take place in Lethbridge on Saturday, March 25.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
From The Game Recap Article - Rebels 5 Hitmen 1 - http://reddeerrebels.com/article/hagel-spacek-hot-as-rebels-clinch-third-place-in-central-division

Brandon Hagel fired two goals and added two assists as the Red Deer Rebels posted a convincing 5-1 WHL win over the Calgary Hitmen Wednesday.
With the victory - their fourth in a row - the Rebels clinched third place in the Central Division and earned a first-round playoff engagement with the Lethbridge Hurricanes.

“It was a huge game, we obviously wanted to get third spot and play Lethbridge,” said Brandon Hagel, named first star of the contest.
“It was a huge win for us tonight, our team responded very well.”

Hagel’s four-point performance was his second in as many nights, following his two-goal, two-assist outing in Tuesday’s 8-3 triumph over the Medicine Hat Tigers.
“I think I’m just keeping the game simple,” he said of his recent play which has produced eleven points in three games.
“I’m not trying to do too much one-on-one stuff like I was before. Just keeping it simple has got me to where I am.”

Hagel and Michael Spacek (two assists) were a productive duo earlier in the season, but were eventually separated and just recently placed back on the same line.
“Our chemistry was good at the start and then we went on a little slump. Now we’re back together and it’s good timing, I’d say.” Hagel said.

Goal #1 - Hagel notching a power-play goal 12:51 into the contest by tipping a point shot by Jared Freadrich past Hitmen netminder Cody Porter.
Goal #2 - Hagel made it 2-0 with another man-advantage tally at 2:48 of the second period, burying a perfect feed from Michael Spacek while alone in front of the Calgary net.
Assist #1 - Michael Spacek connected nine minutes later directly off an offensive-zone faceoff. Hagel drew the puck back to his linemate and Spacek buried a quick wrist shot.

Rebels GM/head coach Brent Sutter - In probably the last two weeks Hages has taken his game to a different notch which has really helped.
“He’s more at the level that I’d like to see him play at. With his battle level, intensity and emotion, he’s playing more consistent.
He’s staying within that and he’s being rewarded. Hages has had a year where there’s been some ups and downs, some bumps and bruises.
Hages had to play through some things and the last two weeks it’s the best hockey he’s played, which is encouraging.”

Last edited:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
He finished the regular season on a tear. Two goal and four point games all over the place.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects - Sunday, March 19 -

Brandon Hagel gets his #30th goal and #69th point. Red Deer and Edmonton tied 2-2 End 2nd.
Puck gets behind two Edmonton defenseman in their zone. Hagel outraces them, makes a quick move for his 2nd goal of the game. Goal #31 - Point #70.
Next shift Hagel's shot rebounds to Glover for another Red Deer goal. Hagel now with 2+2. That's Hagel's fourth game of the season with 4+ points.
(LaxSabre - Unfortunately it wasn't good enough as not only the Oil Kings won 5-4 in OT but Hagel wasn't named one of the three stars of the game.)
Brandon Hagel really put a bow on the regular season with four two-goal games in his last six games. 15 points (9G+6A) in those six games.

Last edited:

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
14th in points for U19 WHL players. And some of the names ahead of him are pretty big. It'd be worth watching him play. Only his second season at the top level of junior.

Highest PIM for an u19 > PPG. It's juniors though, and he's 6', so I wouldn't look for him to be a power forward at any other level.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects - Brandon Hagel gets the GWG on the PP with 1:57 left in regulation as Red Deer wins their playoff opener 4-2 over Lethbridge.
A team-leading eight of Hagel's 31 regular-season goals were GWG so no shock that he'd be the guy to step up and complete the Rebs' comeback win.
Watch Red Deer's 30-goal man Brandon Hagel employs hand-eye coordination to slap a rebound out of mid-air for the PP GWG.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I have a good feeling that Hagel will be an important cheap ELC call-up/fill-in once Jack and Sam are on their big deals. His compete level at Dev Camp this year was off the charts and he's putting up some dynamic offensive numbers as his career arc is starting to form. One of the youngest players in the 2016 draft, won't turn 19 until August. Loving our mid-late round draft philosophy lately.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
thought Hagel-Peterson-Baptiste was the best dev camp line. Hagel in particular made things happen with battles for loose pucks. Love the pick, have untempered dreams of an Andrew Shaw or Brendan Gallagher.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@Rebelshockey - GOOOOOAAAL! @Bhags9's PP goal makes it 3-2 Lethbridge with 3:07 left to play. #LETvsRD #FearTheDeer
@Rebelshockey - With 19.6 seconds left the Rebels tie it up, 3-3. @polei10 comes up big! #FearTheDeer #LETvsRD #WHLPlayoffs
@Rebelshockey - Scoring change from Polei to @LZablocki12.
@SabresProspects - Brandon Hagel has his second goal of the playoffs (both on PP) as Red Deer heads to OT tied 3-3 with Lethbridge. Series tied 1-1.

LaxSabre - Red Deer wins the game 4-3 in 2OT on a goal by Evan Polei. Lead the series 2-1 with Game #4 tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad