Player Discussion Brandon Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I'm not a huge "You've got to have a grinding fighter so your whole team isn't soft" kind of guy, but I do wish Carlo would develop a little bit of push back when the situation calls for it. i know that doesn't seem to be how he's wired, but it would still be nice to see.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Even trying to be lenient on how soft he is is painful, he simply needs to take that part of his game to "below average" and I'll turn a blind eye because of his talent.

His softness is frankly embarrassing of a Bruin. He's softer than Kessel, Seguin, and Hamilton.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I still believe this is a learning year for Carlo.
Last year he exceeded all expectations and teams did not know what to expect from him. Now teams have more of a book on him and know how to attack going into the Bruins zone against him.
Therefore it'll look as if Carlo has regressed in some aspects but it's really teams adjusting to him.
I expected this this year.
I will speculate that by year three he will be steady if not unspectacular. By year four he should have begun to fill out and be able to take the more physical aspect of his game to another level and quietly begin to establish himself as one of the better shutdown defenseman in the league.
At least that's my hopeful projection for him.
People tend to forget that he was a tall lean kid and it takes time meaning years for his body to fill out you don't put on 20 to 30 lb of muscle overnight it needs to develop properly give him time.

Last edited:

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
Hall Gill 2.0 (the modern version) at the moment.
Not the Hall Gill that played for Boston and was a star HS QB in Massachusetts.:laugh:

Gill was a decent player. Who was good enough to play 16yrs in the NHL and win a Cup with the Penguins but Carlo if anything is a Tyler Myers 2.0.

Lets not forget he's still growing into his body and at 21 is only going to get better, nothing against Gill but Carlo will be the Superior player.

Reactions: hrdpuk and TCB

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
I still believe this is a learning year for Carlo.
Last year he exceeded all expectations and teams did not know what to expect from him. Now teams have more of a book on him and know how to attack going into the Bruins zone against him.
Therefore it'll look as if Carlo has regressed in some aspects but it's really teams adjusting to him.
I expected this this year.
I will speculate that by year three he will be steady if not unspectacular. By year four he should have begun to fill out and be able to take the more physical aspect of his game to another level and quietly begin to establish himself as one of the better shutdown defenseman in the league.
At least that's my hopeful projection for him.
People tend to forget that he was a tall lean kid and it takes time meaning years for his body to fill out you don't put on 20 to 30 lb of muscle overnight it needs to develop properly give him time.

Here's the hammer :damnpc: strike again because I feel you hit the nail dead center.:thumbu:

Reactions: hrdpuk and TCB

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
I posted in the sheep in wolves clothes topic it would be nice if the Bruins could hire Thorty as some sort of coach to teach these young guys some snarl and how to protect themselves.

Maybe its because I am not a big guy but I have always felt that athletes who are say "big" at their position who are soft or dont use their bigness was a waste. Like Hal Gill, Tyler Myers........that softy Boyle.......

Reactions: Strafer

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
21:53 TOI tonight, 6:27 on the PK which went 7-7 including one with Chara in the box.

He's been a straight up BEAST lately in the defensive zone. He' skating more confidently, getting to pucks first and using his big frame to keep the opponents off the puck. Never really delivers monster hits but is smart and is playing a lot more confidently lately.

One area where he was especially great was clearing pucks. This didn't always seem to be the case earlier in the year where he would be more desperate than smart. He's improved a lot at it, and he's been a huge part of why the PK is ranked where it is.

Also, his chemistry with Krug has improved a lot and that pairing doesn't seem as weak defensively as it did when they were first put together.

He's developing into the perfect #4 for the Bruins, one who can handle lots of PK and 5-on-5 time and free up McAvoy to play more offensive minutes.

He has his flaws as does all players but I really like what I'm seeing from him lately.

SoldiersOfFilth

Hamildone with Neely
Dec 28, 2013
Near Olympia
i really hope the Bruins dont trade him to get McDonagh. imagine this D corps post-Chara

McAvoy-McDonagh
Krug-Carlo
Grzelcyk-Miller

That is one heckuva D corps

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
i really hope the Bruins dont trade him to get McDonagh. imagine this D corps post-Chara

McAvoy-McDonagh
Krug-Carlo
Grzelcyk-Miller

That is one heckuva D corps

Probably unrealistic. Chara will probably be back next year and by the time Chara is gone both McD, McAvoy and Carlo will have new deals. Between the three of them they'll probably have a cap hit around $15mm (assuming in your scenario they re sign McD). McAvoy could fetch around 5-6mm assuming he continues this trend (which I am definitely ok with, see Morgan Reilly's deal).

I think if McD is re signed then Krug is probably gone...theres no room.

One of the main reasons I don't see McD as a viable option at this time..factoring in the acquisition cost.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Not the Hall Gill that played for Boston and was a star HS QB in Massachusetts.:laugh:

Gill was a decent player. Who was good enough to play 16yrs in the NHL and win a Cup with the Penguins but Carlo if anything is a Tyler Myers 2.0.

Lets not forget he's still growing into his body and at 21 is only going to get better, nothing against Gill but Carlo will be the Superior player.

I think he'll be a good second pairing/1st PK shutdown guy. I can't pinpoint why but I don't see him reaching that all star level upside.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I think he'll be a good second pairing/1st PK shutdown guy. I can't pinpoint why but I don't see him reaching that all star level upside.

Even at that, that's a great career level and more than justifies where he was picked. He's just a good solid player. I was one who said Hal Gill (but more mobile) also, but I liked Hal, so it isn't an insult in my book :)

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Even at that, that's a great career level and more than justifies where he was picked. He's just a good solid player. I was one who said Hal Gill (but more mobile) also, but I liked Hal, so it isn't an insult in my book :)

Yup. He's a player I want them to re sign long term at a good cap hit and pencil him in for the next 5+ years on that 2nd pairing.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Leaf's have a poll vs Dermott , some of them claiming Carlo is a bottom pairing D

MOOOORE leaf threads MOOOOOOOORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have almost all their annoying poster on ignore list by now:thumbu:.

on the positive side..... what a great rebound game by Carlo VS Calgary, nice shut down against Gaudreau.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Leaf's have a poll vs Dermott , some of them claiming Carlo is a bottom pairing D

MOOOORE leaf threads MOOOOOOOORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have almost all their annoying poster on ignore list by now:thumbu:.

on the positive side..... what a great rebound game by Carlo VS Calgary, nice shut down against Gaudreau.

Beyond ridiculous.

Reactions: BostonBruins11

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
People are really jumping on him hard after a rough couple of games - not surprising. Also he's 21 and playing top 4 minutes in the NHL - to me thats pretty impressive. I think he's a important piece of the new age Bruins going forward, part of the core that will take the torch from the Chara, Bergeron, Krejci, era - I hope. Just as long as the HF Bruins mob doesn't run him out of town.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
yup and i have no idea how Dermott is winning the poll :huh:
it must of be a Joint Leaf's effort

It most likely is.

There was a poll asking who were the top centers in the league a while ago.
It got all the way to tenth (Bergy was voted 5th) and Auston "Generational & with a crowned lion tattoo" Matthews hadn't yet been voted.
So you know what was done? They linked the poll in a thread in the Leafs forum asking everyone to go vote in that poll. :facepalm:
And of course, Matthews was voted best 10th center in the league.

Reactions: Thrive

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Cassidy learned it the hard way by benching Carlo

He should bench Krug instead who has played like dirt as of late.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins give struggling Brandon Carlo some down time - The Boston Globe

BUFFALO — Brandon Carlo’s rough game in Toronto on Saturday night turned into a soft seat in the press box here on Sunday. The sophomore defenseman, his game spotty for the past few weeks, was a lineup scratch for the first time in his career, with coach Bruce Cassidy opting to play veteran Adam McQuaid in his place.

“We have talked about having eight capable guys,” noted Cassidy, tamping down speculation that perhaps Carlo was on the trading block. “We want to play the best six every night as best as possible, and we feel Adam did his job very well when he was in.”

But that has not been the case for Carlo of late. He opened the five-game road trip with an ugly minus-4 in a 6-1 loss to Vancouver. Saturday night in Toronto, Cassidy benched him for a few shifts, after the game noting that he felt Carlo had fallen short in terms of the physical challenge.

Reactions: Thrive

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
A touch of the sophomore slump, I guess. He hasn't looked great so he probably needed a game or two in the Jimmy Hayes memorial box. I am not worried about him bouncing back strong. He could be tired, carrying a nagging injury, who knows. The kid will be all right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->