Braino's draft day opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

braino

Sep 14, 2002
Visit site
1.) Crosby the right choice obviously.
2.) I think the Ducks made a mistake here and should've drafted all round defenseman Jack Johnson. Ozolinsh already 33 and Johnson would've been a nice fit to Fedorov, Lupul, Perry and company.
3.) Carolina got a great dman here in Johnson due to Ducks mistake. I cannot believe they were contemplating Staal over Johnson.
4.) Minnesota, cannot go wrong with Pouliot here. Really between Pouliot, Ryan and Brule it is a toss up at this stage.
5.) Huge mistake by the Habs. Really what were they thinking? Brule would've been my choice here by far.
6.) Columbas capitalized on the Habs mistake, Brule is perfect here . He'll score a ****load with Nash and Zherdev here as buddies.
7.) Skille definetely the right man for the Hawks as they wanted speed, good selection here.
8.) Setoguchi could've been had at 12 so whatever...SJ gets their style of guy but I didn't agree with their selection to move up.
9.) Not sure I liked the Brian Lee pick here. If I were Muckler, Staal would've been my guy here.
10.) Canuckles should've drafted goalie Price but the Habs had to bust chops. I would've taken talent Kopitar over Bourdon at this stage , even if they had centers in Morrison and HSedin already.
11.) LA capitalizes on gm mistakes, nice pick here in Kopitar.
12.) Nice selection here by Renney (slats always on vacation nowadays), Staal slipped and they moved up to get him. Rangers need defense and forwards but defense so critical.
13.) This was the right pick for Buffalo at this stage as Zagrapan has all the tools to be a franchise player in my books. They need defenseman but he was the best guy here.
14.) Washington, so many dmen going early caused this early selection of Pokulok. I felt this pick could've waited and Ryan O'Marra would've been my selection here to assist Ovechkin in the future.
15.) NYI, see above. O'Marra great NHL future ahead.
16.) Atlanta. They could've gone a different way, maybe draft a Hanzal or a Bergfors but really they needed a grit guy with skill. Bourret is a perfect pick here by Waddell.
17.) Hanzal definetely slipped , great choice by Phoenix.
18.) I didn't agree with this pick by Nashville. Already loaded on the back with Timonen, Zidlicky, Suter, Weber...I think a winger like Bergfors to assist Legwand would've been my pick here.
19.) Detroit, don't like the pick here. Bergfors would've been my guy.
20.) Fla> Good move by Keenan to get his guy McCardle. He wouldn't have made it to #29.
21.) This is a fair pick by the Leafs. Rask is good, I still think I would've again taken Bergfors here. Swede buddy for Sundin, great role model for Nicklas.
22.) Lashoff the right pick by Boston here.
23.) Conte is the best for a reason. Bergfors a top 2 line NHLer for sure.
24.) Don't like the Oshie selection at all. Ryan Stoa would've been my selection.
25.) Edmonton didn't need another smallish center. Schremp, Pouliot, Reddox in the system..Oilers needed defense here. Matt Niskanen my choice here.
26.) Not a big Pelech fan but at this point all the sure thing's were gone by now. Since Sutter likes brute and toughness, Joe Finley should've been the guy here.
27.) Washington. Nice pick with Finley.
28. ) Steal for Dallas with Niskanen here.
29.) Downie to me is ok. Ryan Stoa again was still available here and should've been drafted here. Should've stayed at 20 maybe and drafted McCardle too.
30.) Mihalik for TB, why not? Great size, good pick by the champs.

Honourable mention to some names missed high. TJ Hensick (exciting guy), Paul Stastny (great 1st season in college), Frazee, Mikkelson, Pavelec were the next biggest for me.

Last edited:

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
Why should the Canucks take a goalie like Price? They took Schneider in the first round last year, and have Alex Auld and Julien Ellis in the system as well.

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
Am I the onlyone who thinks that there is something that made Kopitar fell. Did you notice that he wasn't even at the draft... There must be something about this...

freakazoid

May 9, 2005
Canada
Garp said:
Am I the onlyone who thinks that there is something that made Kopitar fell. Did you notice that he wasn't even at the draft... There must be something about this...
Yeah, he was projected to be a surefire top 6. But the draft was low key, and he has to get here from Europe. The Kings are surely overjoyed with the way things went for them.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
freakazoid said:
Yeah, he was projected to be a surefire top 6. But the draft was low key, and he has to get here from Europe. The Kings are surely overjoyed with the way things went for them.

Only one player actually came over from Europe. I think it was Hanzal or Bergfors, I can't remember.

turnbuckle*

One thing you always notice about mock drafts, drafts, post mock drafts etc. is that most fans never want their team to draft a goalie unless it's Atlanta and the goalie is Lehtonen (even the most obtuse fan noticed the fit). If fans had their way goalies wouldn't go until every future Pat Boutette was drafted, somewhere in the fifth or sixth round.

Most fans think their goalies are great; why draft a goalie when you have less heralded goalies like Schneider and Auld already? Why draft a better goalie than Leighton, etc. etc. I guess if mediocrity is okay, those are solid choices as future number ones. Montreal wants to be Stanley Cup contenders, not has beens that can't get past the second round. Congrats to Gainey and co. for having the balls to take the chance.

Since everyone else wants to go out on a limb and say Brule will be better than Price, I'll do the same. Price will be better than Fleury. Pretty silly eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->