Recalled/Assigned: Brady Skjei!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swept In Seven

Disciple of The Zook
Apr 27, 2010
Back on track, other than that awful give away leading to the 2nd goal, he was very solid. That 2nd pk in the third he really showed great iq and defensive presence along with McIlrath. Bright future ahead of him

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Back on track, other than that awful give away leading to the 2nd goal, he was very solid. That 2nd pk in the third he really showed great iq and defensive presence along with McIlrath. Bright future ahead of him

Wiffing on a pass sucks but it's better than making an ill advised high risk pass for no reason...forcing something in other words. Mistakes like wiffing on a pass happen to every defenseman, it sucks it happened to him but he wasn't trying to make the wrong play or anything

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i actually thought he was very very good tonight.

That giveaways happens to every defenseman in the NHL at least once or twice a month.

Swept In Seven

Disciple of The Zook
Apr 27, 2010
Wiffing on a pass sucks but it's better than making an ill advised high risk pass for no reason...forcing something in other words. Mistakes like wiffing on a pass happen to every defenseman, it sucks it happened to him but he wasn't trying to make the wrong play or anything

Your right, he tried to go up the boards with it. Just an unfortunate play, a fluky play that if I were him I'd describe it as awful. Other than that he was very very good, he is going to be a top 4 guy

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Skjei isn't going to replace Girardi, they play different sides. He'd be replacing Staal if anyone but that's still unlikely. Whatever happens I doubt we'll see a big shakeup on defense this year unless the Rangers find a taker for one of Girardi and Staal and they are willing.

In a perfect world I'd like to see

McDonagh-Klein
Yandle-McIlrath
Skjei-Girardi

Next season. That right side still isn't great and I'd love to see a move somewhere to get in some better skating and puck moving right handed D, but at least they'd all be paired with some strong skating left handed guys.

But that assumes moving Staal and the most likely scenario is that they won't be able to move anyone, won't re-sign Yandle and Boyle, and we'll see Skjei and McIlrath take their spots in the lineup next year which isn't even vaguely as good a lineup unfortunately and could be real cause for concern

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Skjei isn't going to replace Girardi, they play different sides. He'd be replacing Staal if anyone but that's still unlikely. Whatever happens I doubt we'll see a big shakeup on defense this year unless the Rangers find a taker for one of Girardi and Staal and they are willing.

In a perfect world I'd like to see

McDonagh-Klein
Yandle-McIlrath
Skjei-Girardi

Next season. That right side still isn't great and I'd love to see a move somewhere to get in some better skating and puck moving right handed D, but at least they'd all be paired with some strong skating left handed guys.

But that assumes moving Staal and the most likely scenario is that they won't be able to move anyone, won't re-sign Yandle and Boyle, and we'll see Skjei and McIlrath take their spots in the lineup next year which isn't even vaguely as good a lineup unfortunately and could be real cause for concern

If McDonagh continues to perform well on the right side with Staal, like last night, would you be opposed to:

Staal-McDonagh
Yandle-McIlrath
Skjei-Klein
[insert 7th D]

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
According to Brooks today, Klein will return either Thursday in Minnesota or Friday at Winnepeg.

So it appears as though Skjei won't stay long. Would be nice to let see him play in Minnesota, in his home town.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
I thought Skjei looked really good last night, especially for an NHL debut. He had his one Dan Boyle moment on that second Edm goal, but other than that I thought he moved the puck well, made some nifty moves along the boards, showed hockey IQ and was defensively sound including some really nice individual plays on the PK and even strength.

It's a good start and really has to make AV and Gorton start thinking they have some legit, low cap options in McI, Skjei and (from what I'm hearing in Hartford) Graves, who would be next in line for a look. Skjei can play the up and down game for a while and be a legit defenseman when guys need a rest.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
If McDonagh continues to perform well on the right side with Staal, like last night, would you be opposed to:

Staal-McDonagh
Yandle-McIlrath
Skjei-Klein
[insert 7th D]

Not really, my only problem with it is if moving McDonagh to the right makes him a less effective player then it's probably not a good idea overall.

Moving both Girardi and Staal would be ideal, which kind of sucks to say because I like those guys, but they have struggled quite a bit this season IMO and I don't think they're going to have a skills renaissance any time soon. I'm worried they'll continue to deteriorate and the Rangers will be stuck with two boat anchor contracts and no room on the roster for good replacements.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Not really, my only problem with it is if moving McDonagh to the right makes him a less effective player then it's probably not a good idea overall.

Moving both Girardi and Staal would be ideal, which kind of sucks to say because I like those guys, but they have struggled quite a bit this season IMO and I don't think they're going to have a skills renaissance any time soon. I'm worried they'll continue to deteriorate and the Rangers will be stuck with two boat anchor contracts and no room on the roster for good replacements.

Right, and that's why I said "If McDonagh continues to perform well, ..."

The Rangers are in a tricky situation with their D, and it sucks :shakehead

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012

Staal-McDonagh
Yandle-McIlrath
Skjei-Klein
[insert 7th D]

I'd be all over it. If this was able to be done, it would mean that Girardi and Boyle cap hits are gone and that's 10M in space to get a rental forward this season and extend Yandle, Kreider, Hayes and Miller in the off season.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I dont think its smart to play a forward short. It killed them in that game 7 against the Lightning no matter what you want to believe. The Rangers are at their best when they are rolling all 4 lines and pressing aggressively on the forecheck, closing space for the opponent. You lose that when you play 11F.

Anyways, Skjei was great last night. The kid can flat out play.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I dont think its smart to play a forward short. It killed them in that game 7 against the Lightning no matter what you want to believe. The Rangers are at their best when they are rolling all 4 lines and pressing aggressively on the forecheck, closing space for the opponent. You lose that when you play 11F.
Certainly didn't help that forward 11 played ~6 minutes that game and defenseman 7 played ~4 while Sheppard sat in the box and about 1/2 of the d were on one leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad