Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
A lot of people (Mirtle, Siegel, etc.) love to say that this years' team is the worst Leafs team in years. While that may be true, I think the following needs to be considered when comparing this team to recent Dubas teams:
  1. The dramatic fall-off of Tavares and Brodie. Combined, this is a $16M cap hit where we are maybe getting $5M of value. This is on Dubas and not on Treliving.
  2. For the first time in years, we didn't spend substantial draft capital at the deadline (whether this was intentional, or was a lack of draft capital / attractive options is unknown). In my opinion, you can't compare the playoff lineup last year with this one, while not also factoring in the draft capital that was expended.

While Im not entirely sold on BT just yet, the decline of Brodie and Tavares is absolutely playing a major factor in his first season as GM.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I beg to differ ..

With the new additions of Tyler Bertuzzi, Max Domi, Ryan Reaves, Connor Dewar and Dmen Simon Benoit, Joel Edmundson & Ilya Lyubushkin I'm loving the physical play and intensity and punishing hits that this version of the Leafs are playing with. We're seing the early stages of Treliving's Dcore style of big, mean and mobile with 2 coming at the TD. Leafs 4th line lead by Reaves has both a purpose and built to be able to play in all situations to provide energy.

This is real Hockey as opposed to the past figure skating teams, and Leafs are going head to head playing the game in the trenches, which I have been proud of the gang,

Unfortunately, despite the new comers providing this team with a true backbone spin to have the ability to push back, they can't overcome the Leafs biggest pitfall that leads to failure is the butter soft Core 4 that consumes 1/2 the teams salary cap. The core 4 that thrive on regular season Run and Gun style hockey with scoring on the rush and playing with puck possessions to fill the net with pucks and outscoring their goaltending sub <.900 performance and weaker defensive play based on exchanges scoring chances where last goal wins.. Playoff style dump and chase is the Kryptonite of this core 4 and the reason for the teams failure overall.

BT was handed a bad hand with a team paid and built for entertainment purposes first and foremost, with the leagues highest salaries so MLSE can charge and validate the highest price of addmission. as the teams value increases.

This makes the Leafs essentially "Regular season Warriors but playoff "Paper Tigers", which is great for Leaf fans that love the excitement of player personnel performances and achievements of the regular season, but sadly those that desire to win a Championship (the true desire of following sports IMO), have to take a back seat until we see this soft core 4 broken up and Leafs rebuilt,

So I'm giving BT a pass until he can get out from under Cap Hell and the JT boat anchor contract after next season, before he will be judged on his own merits.
I like your ref to the poker hand.
Pretty much agree with you and I think BT got what’s look a great hand in poker but in reality is it nothing special. Like he got a spade of 3, 8, 8, 10 and needs another spade to get a flush. But if he doesn’t get a spade, the best is a pair of 10s, which is bad.

Reactions: Mess

ashs

Oct 27, 2007
Who all needs to be gone next year.

For me:
Shanahan
All the coaches
Marner
Reilly
Timothy
Jarnkrok
Brodie
Gio
Tavares

I'd keep:
Domi
Bert

Reactions: Leaffan1991

Cassell

Apr 28, 2024
Who all needs to be gone next year.

For me:
Shanahan
All the coaches
Marner
Reilly
Timothy
Jarnkrok
Brodie
Gio
Tavares

I'd keep:
Domi
Bert

I’m perfectly fine with this list. The only change I’d make is to omit Liljegren from the “must go” list, but I readily admit to a certain level of bias when it comes to him. I don’t believe we’ve seen his best yet.

Reactions: ashs

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
The GM doesn’t need to make home run wins but he has to avoid making catastrophic mistakes. And then the minor wins have to exceed the minor losses.

Treliving certainly hasn’t made any catastrophic mistakes so far, and he’s had far more minor wins than minor losses.

Kyle Dubas made two catastrophic mistakes - - signing Tavares and trading Kadri for two pieces of trash. And the majority of his minor deals turned out to be losses.

In reality, Dubas had very few minor deals turn out to be wins. That’s why he’s a proven loser, which we’re now seeing with Pittsburgh.

Last edited by a moderator:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I never once said that. I did say I don't think Point puts up the same point totals with Tavares.
Actually, you said that Point "is equally impactful". If so, you would think that he would produce more with Kucherov than Willy does with JT, considering that Kucherov is much better than JT is now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad