Player Discussion Brad Marchand VI‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Marchand put himself in this spot with his stupid play. The league wants to send a message that this will now be suspension worthy who else would be better than him as the sacrificial lamb?

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
DOPS is nothing if not predictable, Marchand is an easy target. I won't say that he didn't do it, because he did. But look at the "dangerous trip" that he got fined 10K for earlier, they could have suspended him and didn't, no players in the last decade had been suspended for tripping and this came into play. They fined him and got heat from the media and around the league. So this time they took the easy way out instead of treating this the same as they've treated every single one of these situations in the past. Now the DOPS will get patted on the back and be media darlings. There will be a few media types that will blast this decision based on previous spears that went unpunished and there will be some that will write how this is a new precedent moving forward, but in the end it willbe mostly forgotten and these spears will continue and the fines will pile up, jus like they always have.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
he got what he deserved, never mind the inconsistency from the league, he`s got a history, he knows it and this play was just plain stupid

Reactions: bruinsfan1970

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Marchand put himself in this spot with his stupid play. The league wants to send a message that this will now be suspension worthy who else would be better than him as the sacrificial lamb?

I'll believe that when I see it. If that was case, then Crosby would have gotten two games in his well-publicized mauling of O'Reilly's boys. I don't think many, if any, are excusing Marchand here, or thinks it was an appropriate thing, but good for thee and not for me seems to be attitude of the NHL.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
He deserved it.

I guessed 1 game, but 2 isn't a surprise.

Knock it off Bradley, we need you for other stuff!!

Reactions: Ladyfan

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
The NHL fails as usual. This gets the same suspension or worse than a headshot.

The NHL takes the easy path generally. Enough people hate Marchand to make this logical. The Bruins are in the playoffs as well. I hope Marchand laughed at them and hung up the phone.

Doubt we see future spears get anything.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

disagree, sending a message on a play like this would have been suspending him also for playoff games

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
he got what he deserved, never mind the inconsistency from the league, he`s got a history, he knows it and this play was just plain stupid

I agree, and hopefully Marchand learns from it, but it would also be good to see the league be a little more consistent.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta

Based on what? Some tripping and some clipping hits? It certainly isn't based on anything besides repuation.

I've been saying this for years, but this type of inconsistent crap is what you get when you try to put the hammer down using piddly ass 1 and 2 game suspension and not having a set of guidelines for what is a suspension and what isn't.

The reality is that every single night there are incidents that are suspendable based on their previous rulings, but doing so would be ridiculous. So they pick and choose which ones to act on(also ridiculous).

I'm not sure exactly how they determine which ones they are going to review or suspend, but my guess is the amount of media attention it recieves.

We have reached the point where minor penalties are now turning into suspension and I'm not alluding to this as aminor as the rule book clearly states that this would have been a major penalty.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
Recap of the situation from Gavin Lee. Quote below sums up DOPS position. He also addresses issues discussed here with no precedent for suspensions with spears, Crosby situation and Marchand's rap sheet. Full article in the attached link.

"What causes this play to rise to the level of supplemental discipline is the intent, the amount of force used, and Marchand’s substantial history of attacking the lower body of opponents. This is not incidental or inadvertent contact. This is not light contact that, while illegal, does not rise to the level of supplemental discipline."

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2017/04/marchand-suspended-spearing.html

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009
I agree, and hopefully Marchand learns from it, but it would also be good to see the league be a little more consistent.

The day this happens may be the day I will start following hockey like I once loved to do so much.
This league is a pure joke.
Did Marchand deserve his sentencing? yes he did, but Crosby should have had his and Prust should have has his as well.....there is no consistent handling of affairs in the NHL which just does not go well with me these days.
There are far too many inconsistencies for me to appreciate the product.

Wishing the B's nothing but a long po run and one never knows, perhaps they can hoist it for fans in 2017 who are still behind them :nod:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
2 games is pretty steep especially since Marshy was looking at 40 goal season. I wonder if he had bonus money lost because he will not reach 40 goals?

the league could care less about this, perhaps Marchand should have though;)

It was undisciplined, Marchand said so himself, nobody to blame but himself as much as I want him to hit that 40 plateau

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
2 games is pretty steep especially since Marshy was looking at 40 goal season. I wonder if he had bonus money lost because he will not reach 40 goals?

Bonuses are only allowed for ELC, and Over-35 contracts, with the exception if a player has signed a one-year contract after returning from a long-term injury (has played 400 or more games, and spent 100 or more days on the Injured Reserve in the last year of their most recent contract).

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Fine...Stupid thing for him to do but they had better give the next player who does this more than a $5k fine. That is what pisses me off.:rant:

Plus (while I am ranting anyway) Brad gets abused every game and NO CALLS. If the shoe were on the other foot he would be in the box more often.:madfire:

He is no angel but I LOVE him on the b's. Also he doesn't misbehave as much as he used to.

I do agree he should not have done the spear but disagree that he is ALWAYS treated more harshly than others (EVEN repeat offenders) :(

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Bonuses are only allowed for ELC, and Over-35 contracts, with the exception if a player has signed a one-year contract after returning from a long-term injury (has played 400 or more games, and spent 100 or more days on the Injured Reserve in the last year of their most recent contract).

Good to know thanks for the information

The Zapper

Dec 22, 2015
I was gonna bring up that Prust only got a fine after bragging about his premeditated spear last season... But who cares, Prust is irrelevant in the NHL now, that's good enough karma for him

tbh I'm glad Brad got this, it's selfish and hurts the team and needs to stop. Hurt his own chances of getting 40.

Also, not to be that guy, but I'd bet my life savings that Crosby wouldn't even get a slap on the wrist if he did it

Jack218D

Jan 27, 2012
Based on what? Some tripping and some clipping hits? It certainly isn't based on anything besides repuation.

I've been saying this for years, but this type of inconsistent crap is what you get when you try to put the hammer down using piddly ass 1 and 2 game suspension and not having a set of guidelines for what is a suspension and what isn't.

The reality is that every single night there are incidents that are suspendable based on their previous rulings, but doing so would be ridiculous. So they pick and choose which ones to act on(also ridiculous).

I'm not sure exactly how they determine which ones they are going to review or suspend, but my guess is the amount of media attention it recieves.

We have reached the point where minor penalties are now turning into suspension and I'm not alluding to this as aminor as the rule book clearly states that this would have been a major penalty.

You are spot on here, Patty. I think everyone agrees that the play was bush league, but it's more about precedent and when the league decides who and when to set said precedent.

This is more a less a 3 game suspension (Game Misc from Tues) for an infraction that has never been more than a fine and or game misconduct.

As GloryDaze stated, Prust, Crosby, Lucic, etc have all done the same thing. And the worst was a fine for Prust who then proceeded to mock DOPS after the fact.

What is most concerning about this, is the fact that BM63 will get penalized for breathing on someone in the POs. Especially if it's against one of the Canadian teams IMHO.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He needs help... Like therapy

What bothered me the most was his reaction on a play where, quite honestly, I didn`t even think the D-man did anything that the majority of players would have felt was worthy of even a glance back let alone a stick to the croutons

I wonder out loud if this had of been an "incident" between the two then Marchand did this if they would have suspended him as it would have been in the heat of battle?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He needs help... Like therapy

just like Tuukka right everybody ;)

He deserves what he got. It's what I expected. Sure nobody has been suspended for that before but he's already had plenty of incidents. It doesn't help that he poked him afterwards either. I'm glad he's in for the playoffs- I thought they might give him 3 to send a message

I'm fine with him being a ******** every now and again. I would have preferred it not to happen in such a big spot. From what I understand that lightning defenseman has a little bit of a rep in the AHL so it wouldn't surprise me if he did something to make brad retaliate the way he did. It Doesn't excuse the act, just explains why it may have happened

Oh well, we won and he's forgiven. He's carried the team, I can't stay mad at him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad