Brad Ausmus will not return to the Tigers in 2018

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Good one. :laugh:

I'm honestly surprised that he lasted this long.

He went from 90-72 (0-3 loss in ALDS) to 74-87 to 86-75 last year so there was reason to believe they could maybe challenge for a WC (even tho I knew they were done 4 years ago). Now that Illitch passed away, Avila pretty much has the go ahead to tear everything down and restart.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He went from 90-72 (0-3 loss in ALDS) to 74-87 to 86-75 last year so there was reason to believe they could maybe challenge for a WC (even tho I knew they were done 4 years ago). Now that Illitch passed away, Avila pretty much has the go ahead to tear everything down and restart.

By most (all?) local accounts Avila had the go ahead to start tearing it down last winter, but there just wasn't a market with the new luxury tax put into place. I don't think those records can be hung on Ausmus as a negative, though.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Almost everyone across baseball lauded his hiring as the next great young manager, and yet he was a major disaster. No excuses either, this was not San Diego he was trying to manage.

Jeesus, why not just hire Gene Lamont or Leyland again for that matter.....

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
It is difficult to gauge whether Ausmus was to blame for the Tigers underachieving over the last years. But I think it is much safer to say that he did too little to show that he might be the manager that the now-rebuilding Tigers will need going forward:
- Ausmus gave too little at-bats to youngish position players like D. Machado or J. Hicks, who may have a future in Detroit. Candelario was only called up as an injury replacement. The one young player who got plenty at-bats was Jones, who has not figured out AAA pitching during his rather short stint there.
- His unflexible bullpen usage does not seem to help Detroit's pitching staff. There might not be too much talent available, but especially the younger relievers have much better peripherals than their results would indicate.
- Although slower players like JD Martinez, V. Martinez and Cabrera had to be replaced with quicker ones, the Tigers showed no marked improvemt with regard to their substandard baserunning.
- At least during the last two months, Ausmus looked somewhat disinterested and passive. He played heavily slumping veterans without even altering their lineup positions and rarely used pinch hitters. Minor league filler Navarro played DH while batting sub .200 then. Not replacing Castellanos, who just moved to RF shortly before, with a defensive OF in order to at least try to preserve Boyd's no-hitter in the 9th inning still seems indefensible to me.

Gruß,
BSHH

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
It is difficult to gauge whether Ausmus was to blame for the Tigers underachieving over the last years. But I think it is much safer to say that he did too little to show that he might be the manager that the now-rebuilding Tigers will need going forward:
- Ausmus gave too little at-bats to youngish position players like D. Machado or J. Hicks, who may have a future in Detroit. Candelario was only called up as an injury replacement. The one young player who got plenty at-bats was Jones, who has not figured out AAA pitching during his rather short stint there.
- His unflexible bullpen usage does not seem to help Detroit's pitching staff. There might not be too much talent available, but especially the younger relievers have much better peripherals than their results would indicate.
- Although slower players like JD Martinez, V. Martinez and Cabrera had to be replaced with quicker ones, the Tigers showed no marked improvemt with regard to their substandard baserunning.
- At least during the last two months, Ausmus looked somewhat disinterested and passive. He played heavily slumping veterans without even altering their lineup positions and rarely used pinch hitters. Minor league filler Navarro played DH while batting sub .200 then. Not replacing Castellanos, who just moved to RF shortly before, with a defensive OF in order to at least try to preserve Boyd's no-hitter in the 9th inning still seems indefensible to me.

Gruß,
BSHH

Maybe he's not a bad manager, but just one that can only manage a certain way or when the team is in a certain situation or has certain players. To me, that's a manager that can't adapt and I wouldn't want leading the group. I suppose you could argue that there a managers that are just better suited for specific types of teams make-ups, personalities, etc. but I just want one who doesn't just sit back and do nothing... Like Gibbons. I don't care if you have injuries or guys are slumping or don't have your dream roster. You have the team you have so go out and make it work the best way it can.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, no surprise to see this with Ausmus and Detroit. Got to think the team starts over fresh in 2018 with a new manager and a new lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->