Eklund Rumor: Bozak for Carolina D

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I'd trade Roland McKeown with maybe a small add for Bozak. McKeown looked really solid in in his two game callup, was a legitimate asset offensively and looked more than competent in his own end.

Not sure Bozak is the best fit for Carolina but he would be an upgrade over Derek Ryan at the 3C.

don't really see the leafs having any interest in that at all. with dermott,nielsen, and liljegren they are pretty set for young d talent in the AHL. Bozak would probably be the 2C in carolina based on his production

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
don't really see the leafs having any interest in that at all. with dermott,nielsen, and liljegren they are pretty set for young d talent in the AHL. Bozak would probably be the 2C in carolina based on his production

You want a RHD that can play in the NHL right now, McKeown is that guy. Thinking you're gonna get Faulk or Pesce for Bozak is lunacy.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
TVR has more value than both Bozak, Carrick together.

Some of the overvaluing of Bozak in this thread is hilarious, but this is bad too..

TVR was traded for a 2nd in the summer. Bozak is worth more than a 2nd, even as a rental. A career 55 point pace centerman that is very strong on the dot. He gets a 2nd+prospect for sure at minimum. I could see a contender taking him for a 1st for depth. Very good #3 C on teams looking to bolster offensive depth.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Bozak as the centerpiece for Pesce or Faulk?

11514-animated_gifchat8etf.gif

Doubtful, maybe for TVR. Which I don't want anything to do with, rather just ride out Bozak.

No one here is going to argue with the notion that a rental Bozak is worth any of the Canes Top 4 D.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Doubtful, maybe for TVR. Which I don't want anything to do with, rather just ride out Bozak.

No one here is going to argue with the notion that a rental Bozak is worth any of the Canes Top 4 D.

Agreed, I think the ire is coming from the idea that you could add to Bozak to get one, and i think we can agree that a base of bozak + doesnt get you there either. The + would have to be a bigger piece than Bozak, not because he's a bad player, but because Carolina shouldnt be moving a Top 4 D with control for a UFA, Bozak or other.

The Canes GM is on record saying that he wouldnt move a top 4 for Duchene due to his contract status. I cant imagine the status of Bozak is any more appealing to the Canes.

Batrous

May 4, 2016
Toronto and Carolina might look on the surface to be good trading partners because of their individual needs and strengths. However, the source of this rumour is completely unreliable so I doubt the Hurricanes would be interested in acquiring Bozak.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Toronto and Carolina might look on the surface to be good trading partners because of their individual needs and strengths. However, the source of this rumour is completely unreliable so I doubt the Hurricanes would be interested in acquiring Bozak.

agree w/ this, we're already on Rask for not being able to keep up offensively with his linemates, Bozak would be more of the same - he is a better defensive/faceoff player but that's not something we're in need of with Staal/Lindholm/Aho/Williams all being quality to elite defensive forwards.

greengoblin

Jan 20, 2017
Eklund is still around? HF was doing pretty not posting his BS. Just don't understand how this guy has his own prefix.

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
Faulk isn't really what Toronto needs.

agree w/ this, we're already on Rask for not being able to keep up offensively with his linemates, Bozak would be more of the same - he is a better defensive/faceoff player but that's not something we're in need of with Staal/Lindholm/Aho/Williams all being quality to elite defensive forwards.

Bozak isn't actually that good defensively. Hes better at offense imo. He's just good at faceoffs.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
You want a RHD that can play in the NHL right now, McKeown is that guy. Thinking you're gonna get Faulk or Pesce for Bozak is lunacy.
While I agree that getting any of the Canes top-4 with Bozak as the main piece is ridiculous, the Leafs don't need an RHD that can player right now, they need a RHD that will be an improvement on what we have and I don't think McKeown is or projects to be any better than Carrick.
IMO, the only way Bozak is going to Carolina is if it's for a pick + prospect or there is a piece more valuable that Bozak added to the package and the Leafs return something useful now and going forward.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
While I agree that getting any of the Canes top-4 with Bozak as the main piece is ridiculous, the Leafs don't need an RHD that can player right now, they need a RHD that will be an improvement on what we have and I don't think McKeown is or projects to be any better than Carrick.
IMO, the only way Bozak is going to Carolina is if it's for a pick + prospect or there is a piece more valuable that Bozak added to the package and the Leafs return something useful now and going forward.

Completely agree. All these rumors with TO getting another bottom pairing d-man do nothing for them. It will bring zero improvement to the team. They need a solid top 4, ideally top pairing d-man. That's it. They're obviously not getting that for Bozak so to trade him for a guy like TVR or McKeown does absolutely nothing for them IMO.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Completely agree. All these rumors with TO getting another bottom pairing d-man do nothing for them. It will bring zero improvement to the team. They need a solid top 4, ideally top pairing d-man. That's it. They're obviously not getting that for Bozak so to trade him for a guy like TVR or McKeown does absolutely nothing for them IMO.

I'd even argue that it would have an instant negative impact. A playoff contender removing a centre coming off of a 55pts, 57% face-off year to add a bottom-pairing defenseman is just bad business.

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
Some of the overvaluing of Bozak in this thread is hilarious, but this is bad too..

TVR was traded for a 2nd in the summer. Bozak is worth more than a 2nd, even as a rental. A career 55 point pace centerman that is very strong on the dot. He gets a 2nd+prospect for sure at minimum. I could see a contender taking him for a 1st for depth. Very good #3 C on teams looking to bolster offensive depth.

Career 55 point pace centermam? He's hit 55 once. Pace is irrelevant relevant if you can't play the 82 games.

I don’t deny him being an upgrade over Derek Ryan but as long as BP is the coach in carolina Derek Ryan has the 3c on lockdown

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Honestly, I could see a trade that centered around Bozak and TVR. We still need forward help that he could upgrade at the 3C, plus McKeown looked very good during his call up, so the team might be thinking that TVR is expendable. Plus, grabbing TVR might be an attempt for the Leafs to sway JVR into an extension at a discount to play with his brother while also filling a need.

But, I doubt it happens given the origin of the rumor.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I'm assuming by Carolina d men they mean players not currently playing with the canes. I'm a fan of Bozak, but he isn't getting you a slavin, peace, hanifin, or Faulk.

well I guess it would depend on the +. adding a 1st or highish end prospect would take it way past TVR value.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

People already have argued that in this thread. :laugh:

I don't think Bozak really fits what Carolina needs anyways, based on age and contract status.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Bozak + Dermott and a 2018 1st for Faulk is a deal that makes some sense to me.

It makes a lot of sense for the Leafs.

Trading away a 1st pairing D for a 3C pending UFA and two B prospects doesn't make much sense for the Canes. Dermott would be 5th on the Canes long-term LD depth chart after Slavin, Hanifin, Fleury, and Bean.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad