Boycott The OSHL For The Sake Of The NHL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
Anyone who wants to help the NHL get a season going - especially those who support the owners in the lockout - should avoid the OSHL at all costs. The OSHL is an opportunity for the players to attempt to "punish" the NHL for not caving in and keeping the current CBA. Support the NHL, not the greedy players who are content to play for less money in another league, rather than play for less money in the NHL.

Shappa

Oct 11, 2002
.... And while we're at it let's start an internet petition saying that fans are fed up with this whole thing.... Sounds like a good idea, but it'll never happen. Let's face it, I want to watch hockey, and so do millions out there. The players can get away with this because the bottom line is, people will watch.

*edit* another thing, I'm fairly certain they're not doing this for the money in the OSHL, but rather the chance to stay in shape should they be playing in January.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Shappa said:
.... And while we're at it let's start an internet petition saying that fans are fed up with this whole thing.... Sounds like a good idea, but it'll never happen. Let's face it, I want to watch hockey, and so do millions out there. The players can get away with this because the bottom line is, people will watch.

*edit* another thing, I'm fairly certain they're not doing this for the money in the OSHL, but rather the chance to stay in shape should they be playing in January.

Oh it's a nice little cash grab for the NHLPA. However, the people who are currently unemployed like vendors and ushers will appreciate it, so I can't be totally against it.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
loudi94 said:
Oh it's a nice little cash grab for the NHLPA. However, the people who are currently unemployed like vendors and ushers will appreciate it, so I can't be totally against it.

Do they really only plan to play one season? if you go to their website: http://www.oshl.ca/ you will find a link at the bottom called "Careers." Wow, how can anyone have a "career" with a league that may only last a month? Maybe it's nothing, but they could have wrote "employment" or something else, like i've seen at other websites.

http://detroitgladiators.com/ shows "Job Opportunities" and that team's a part of a league that intends to stay around forever.

Last edited:

aj

Mar 19, 2004
London, England
The players aren't making much money in the OSHL, and I know some of them have already said that they'll be giving it to charity.

Won't supporting other hockey leagues show the NHL/NHLPA that we want to watch hockey, and we'll watch it wherever and whenever we can get it? If they're too stubborn to come to an agreement, we'll get our hockey fix elsewhere. It's their loss as much (if not more) than it is ours.

I say go out and support other leagues, whether that means the AHL, ECHL, CHL, OSHL, Juniors, College/University hockey, Women's leagues, whatever. Send the message that we want to watch hockey, and if the NHL isn't prepared to give it to us, we'll support those who do.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Im on the owners side, I think NHL players are making way too much money nowdays. I remember when I start to following NHL hockey, players that made 5+ millions was the big, big star and there are only one or two that made that kind of moneys. Noways 5 millions seem like an standard salary for NHLer. I know that time have changed and this is no longer 1995, but still NHLer are making too much moneys!!! It is ridicolous that a player like Holik or Domi are making the kind of moneys they make!

H/H

Aug 27, 2004
Yeah, it's all those evil players' fault, I feel so sorry for those poor, poor owners who can't even afford a cheese burger at Burger King anymore. :shakehead

Seriously, people, shades of grey. Please.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Right!!!

The NHL is a bunch of liars...

They say there losing money, but they wont open thier books to show it...

So lets say for arguments sake they are losing money!

Point 1). Why do they have those teams there? Get ride of them.. :dunno: it only makes sense.

Point 2). Stop over-paying your players... i'm pretty sure Holik at 8 mil could have been Holik at 4-5 mil. etc).

NHL wants a cap on players? and no Lux. Tax becuase it's fluctuates?

THe NHLPA offered a 50 mil cap per team...

I don't see whats wrong with that and a lux. tax....

I understand that NHL wants thier **** done there way.. but they only Side that is acutally trying here is the Players Union...

It's rediculus... if no one wants to budge.. whats the point of even talking????

Close the League down.. they are just wasting time.... they had over a year to descuss this, and they waited until the last minute to start talking, and then they meet 2-3-4 times and thats it.... Thats ********. Overhaul the League throw them all on their asses!!!

THAT MY 2 CENTS :teach:

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
$45 a seat to go see 4 on 4 scrimmages. I thought it was going to be like $10 max. You can go see NHL practices for free so why support a league that would only serve to prolong the strike. I'd be suprised if they get more than 200 people to buy tickets to games which wont even cover the costs of insurance, refs and ice rental.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Licentia said:
keeping the current CBA.

The current CBA has a salary cap, 5% rollback in salaries and revenue sharing?

Wrong answer.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
skariya18 said:
Do you really think we're gonna miss seeing Wade Belak back in a Toronto uni?

You've gotta be kidding...GO OSHL!!!

Belak is playing in the OSHL.

User571

Apr 5, 2004
Between the Pipes
The website says that Miikka Kiprusoff and Luongo will be playing, but havnt been drafted yet. Between this and the prospect stocked AHL, I'll have no problem with a lockout, but the owners may be kind of screwed right now.

fan mao rong

Feb 6, 2003
port royal , pa
Visit site
10 years ago, the players' barnstorming tours were lightly attended. And that's with 10 years younger Gretzky, Messier, and the like. Regardless of what people on here say, Star players by themselves have little appeal, outside of a format that can illustrate them and relevant comparisons to others of their stature. And most of the public is of interest in following teams they are used to following.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
joepeps said:
The NHL is a bunch of liars...

They say there losing money, but they wont open thier books to show it...

The NHL has said repeatedly - in the last two days - that they have welcomed the players to look at the finances for well over a year or more, yet the players association refuses to look at the books.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
eye said:
$45 a seat to go see 4 on 4 scrimmages. I thought it was going to be like $10 max. You can go see NHL practices for free so why support a league that would only serve to prolong the strike. I'd be suprised if they get more than 200 people to buy tickets to games which wont even cover the costs of insurance, refs and ice rental.

First game they played just over 2000 attended, in a 4500 seat stadium. Most people complained it as a rip, from what I read.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
go kim johnsson said:
The current CBA has a salary cap, 5% rollback in salaries and revenue sharing?

Wrong answer.

Oh, sorry. The OSHL is an attempt to punish the NHL for not accepting the NHLPA's offer, which both the NHL and NHLPA know will not prevent the further increase of player salaries.

Last edited:

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
fan mao rong said:
10 years ago, the players' barnstorming tours were lightly attended. And that's with 10 years younger Gretzky, Messier, and the like. Regardless of what people on here say, Star players by themselves have little appeal, outside of a format that can illustrate them and relevant comparisons to others of their stature. And most of the public is of interest in following teams they are used to following.

Exactly. I root for the Montreal Canadiens, the team. I don't care who they have playing for them as long as they win more often than they lose. This OSHL league offers no reason to get behind one team and not behind another.

Brent Burns Beard