Boychuk, Dalpe, Bowman, and other prospects that didn't pan out

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Well, we can now officially add Ryan Murphy to the list.

Some other names in this series that I've forgotten about. Austin Levi, Brody Sutter, Justin Shugg, Brent Pedersen.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Other than the Semin buyout, we are now clear of all of Rutherford's drafting/contract failures, by my (drunken) estimation.

A couple years ago you could've argued the Jordan Staal trade was a dumb move, but Sutter has since turned out to be kind of a bust, and Pouliot is on the verge of being a bust. Dumoulin turned out to be the best piece they got.

In theory had we not made the trade we could've taken Trouba or Forsberg at #8, but I believe somebody mentioned that JR was in love with Grigorenko at the time, so probably turned out for the best.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
The thing about Murphy is that unlike Dalpe/Boychuk/Bowman I feel like it took us all of 6 seconds to stop penciling him into the top pairing moving forward. He was so bad that even us idiots figured it out pretty quickly.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Well, we can now officially add Ryan Murphy to the list.

Some other names in this series that I've forgotten about. Austin Levi, Brody Sutter, Justin Shugg, Brent Pedersen.

I blame it on the skinny jeans....

Now the Shugginator is still playing in Europe (Germany) and calling a 7th round pick (Sutter) a bust is a bit rich, don't you think?

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I was more stating those names are players I forgot about. I mentioned Sutter more or less because he appeared to be best buds w/ Murphy. I never really had high expectations for many of them.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
He spent full five years in entry level system, didn't take off in AHL. Hitting RFA now he couldn't expect but a two-way contract at best to continue bussing around in AHL, probably got something better in KHL awaiting. Playing the games to finish the final season probably feels like drinking tar for him, maybe best for everyone to call it quits.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Well there would be a bit of a difference between “injured and won’t return”, or “signed a contract forbidding him from continuing in Charlotte” versus “told everyone to screw off and left the team high and dry in the middle of a playoff run”.

Functionally, from our perspective, there's zero difference. He sucked, and he's gone.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
The question remains if the organization wants to even give him a qualifying offer to retain his rights.

I suspect it was made clear to him that we weren't gonna do that. So he gets in a vacation and a decent offseason before he goes to play in the KHL. Yeah, running out on the team in the middle of a playoff run is a lousy thing to do, but really, it's a developmental league, he knew he had no shot, and he's gonna be making much better money in the KHL, so why risk injury for a team that was only ever the route to an NHL career that never panned out? Nobody sings the annals of the Calder Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->