Bowman Talks

Status
Not open for further replies.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
GregStack said:
Scotty Bowman is a very knowledgeable man. My Grandma asctually knew him quite well in school...no...not like that guys...seriously...stop laughing...

How precious... one of our own posters is cut froom the same cloth as one of the greatest coaches of all time. I wonder if he'd admit to it?

rulin

Jan 30, 2004
Wow...

Bowman is one knowledgable hockey man whom I respect. If he says they're really that close to an agreement, I can't help but believe it! But I can't get my hopes up...

My main question is, will this agreement, if it does in fact exist, prevent other lockouts from happening 5-10 years down the road?

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
Impossible . . . the estimates that I have seen call for at minimum eighteen days between the time an agreement is signed and the start of hockey.
That's a weird read. I'm not making a joke here so don't take this way. I just think it's funny to read "Impossible...the estimates I've seen...".

Anyway... right or wrong, I trust Bowman more than I do Eklund or this new blogger MacFarlane....er.. Crows... no, no, I had it right the first time. MacFarlane.

Having said that about Bowman, it doesn't mean that the league will start up next weekend. It could mean that camps will open next weekend. If he wanted to hint that a deal was going to be signed next weekend, my guess is that he would probably comment that "something will get done by next Sat", or something along those lines.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
When it's said that the NHL would "start" by saturday, it's probably the case for the franchises and NHL offices. We wont see training camp right away... basically the engines start for all 30 teams as they get their roster back to the states, organize a schedule, and generally get back to work.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
With 10-12 days of training camp, teams will be set to go. As for all the remaining free agents out there... my guess is that you will see many "temporary" contracts signed. A bunch of one-season deals since the off-season won't be too far ahead.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
Impossible . . . the estimates that I have seen call for at minimum eighteen days between the time an agreement is signed and the start of hockey.

I thought abuot that after i saw it on sportsnet and i realized something. they were adding it up as if the players wouldn't travel on the same day contracts were being signed which is how they got the 18 days number. i would expect it would take about 5 days max to get going.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Ziggy Stardust said:
With 10-12 days of training camp, teams will be set to go. As for all the remaining free agents out there... my guess is that you will see many "temporary" contracts signed. A bunch of one-season deals since the off-season won't be too far ahead.
It makes me wonder, if this is how it happens, will players get less than what they're asking for or more than what they should get, just so they can get a contract signed? The guys without contracts are in a brutal spot. It gives me a warm fuzzy all over!

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
This shortened season (IF there is one) will really be a "crap shoot" in my opinion. It's almost like a tournament format for teams to qualify for a shot at the Stanley Cup. And in a 30+ game schedule, anything can happen.

Ladies and gentlemen... your 2005 Stanley Cup Champion... the Pittsburgh Penguins. :joker:

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
Regardless of when the lockout ends, it's going to be a blast to see the rush of signings and such. Think about it, lots of us hockey nuts get all excited on trade dedline day, the day that the UFA market opens up, and draft day..

Regardless of what side of the conflict you're on, the chaos that will ensue after a CBA is done is going to be hilarious.

Once the two sides have a framework and the significant numbers worked out, I would think that they'd sign a temporary agreement that would be in effect for 2-3 weeks. That lets the players back in camp while the details are hashed out and the final documents are done.

Many NHL'ers are either skating on their own time to stay in shape, or playing in other North American leagues. Those guys and minor leaguers could be in camp ready to work within a few days. The European guys might take a few more days to get over, but I'd say that we could see exhibition games within 5-6 days of an agreement - whether temporary or permenant.

GM's, coaches and trainers haven't had anything to do over the last several months, so whatever the case, they certainly have detailed plans in place that they will execute as soon as they get the go-ahead. They'll just go down the list - schedule ice time, re-hire employees, call players, etc., etc..

SharkGirl27

Jan 23, 2005
San Jose, CA
futurcorerock said:
When it's said that the NHL would "start" by saturday, it's probably the case for the franchises and NHL offices. We wont see training camp right away... basically the engines start for all 30 teams as they get their roster back to the states, organize a schedule, and generally get back to work.

That's pretty much what I was thinking training camps starting next Saturday, season in 2 weeks.

NorthOiler

Jan 26, 2005
NWT
A big if ... but if the season can be salvaged and a 30 game schedule made possible, what would the schedule look like???

Western conference teams play own division and other western teams only ... play the eastern conference in the cup final and vise versa??? :dunno:

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Id say that we could have 4 games vs divisional team=16 games
and 2 game vs each confrence team=20

36 games

But with training camp still needed and everything I dont think we can get 36 games.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
futurcorerock said:
How precious... one of our own posters is cut froom the same cloth as one of the greatest coaches of all time. I wonder if he'd admit to it?

I'm quite sure he would not ;)

As for me...You think a Leafs fan would ever want to say he's got anything to do with a guy who brought Stanley Cups to our rivals? I don't want to get lynched my friend. :teach:

missK

Aug 1, 2002
Lightning country
Visit site
Remember not all teams have alot of players to sign if there's a NHL season upcoming next week, i.e. the Lightning only have Marty St. Louis unsigned right now and might want to sign a cheap #7 Dman, that's it. Our roster is pretty much set!

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
GregStack said:
I'm quite sure he would not ;)

As for me...You think a Leafs fan would ever want to say he's got anything to do with a guy who brought Stanley Cups to our rivals? I don't want to get lynched my friend. :teach:
So you have Montreal roots. Just goes to show that you can find good in everybody, even a Leaf fan. Deep down we know you'll return to th efold someday. Let me know when the de briefing process starts. If Bowman says something, he has a good reason. I'd feel better if I knew what the reason was.

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
benji_ch said:
I think you should retract that statement.

Yes, I believe I was unfairly misquoted by the press. When I was quoted as saying " :gman: :gman: :gman: " what I really meant was "We will never accept a salary cap and will sit out for all eternity. We will fight to the death to prove our unity. Long live our benevolent leader Premiere Goodenow"

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
Let's see now. Over 300 players are living and playing hockey in different parts of the world, over 400 players are currently unsigned according to Sportsnet talk show, player working visas are no longer a given or easy task, equipment and even pucks are in short supply, many employees are laid off and or have found new employment, some venues have conflicts and indoor soccer starting up and the biggest obstacle is what do we do with all the players that gave their word they would never play under a cap system? IMPASSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
There is no shot at impasse because the owners would lose.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
There is no shot at impasse because the owners would lose.

I don't see how they could lose. They have presented countless variations of a framework needed to begin negotiations of which the players seem to want no part of. They have invited the NHLPA to discuss the CBA for the past several years and the offer was declined. So you have the owners with Bettman as their spokesperson insisting that they will lock the players out until they agree to negotiate within a cost linkage system and you have the players that swear they will never work under a cost linkage system. I believe that only leaves one option - IMPASSE!!!!!!!!!!

The Republican based NLRB will support the owners in the USA and 4 of the 6 Canadian teams will have no problem using replacement players. THERE REALLY IS NO OTHER CHOICE. Most of us won't want to pay for tickets to watch these current players if and when they do capitulate down the road UNLESS they come back as replacement players which in effect means they would have voted yes to returning today if given that option. The reason they won't be given that option to vote is because the overpaid NHLPA execs know that a vote would make them look bad. It's all about stubborn pride.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They supposedly made the same offer about 7 different times. So, already they wouldn't acheive impasse because they're not changing anything. As much as they have talked in the last week, they have to almost lock themselves in a room for a week before anyone can think about impasse, and then they would most likely lose anyways because it's their lockout and not a strike. You don't acheive impasse by both sides saying no to each other. And their won't be replacement players either, the owners know that if you want to see replacement players you can go watch them in the ECHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->