Bouwmeester's San Antonio production...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Jay Bouwmeester is an awesome defenseman, no doubt about it. But his flaw is he doesn't take charge nearly often enough. You could put back this guy on a junior team right now and I'm not sure he would look dominant.

The flip side to this is, he is so talented you can put him on an elite squad (like a team Canada) and he isn't out of place at all. He can play with and against the very best.

All this to say, those stats in the AHL just reflect the fact he doesn't dominate and take charge. You could throw him in a world class tournament tomorrow and he'd be talented enough to play well.

I'm not worried at all by the stats, except I was hoping maybe someone would light a fire under his ass. If this guy could take charge... sky is the limit. Even if he remains as he is, he is still one of the safest youngster as far as developing into a star player at the highest level.

bruins4777*

Vlad The Impaler said:
Jay Bouwmeester is an awesome defenseman, no doubt about it. But his flaw is he doesn't take charge nearly often enough. You could put back this guy on a junior team right now and I'm not sure he would look dominant.

The flip side to this is, he is so talented you can put him on an elite squad (like a team Canada) and he isn't out of place at all. He can play with and against the very best.

All this to say, those stats in the AHL just reflect the fact he doesn't dominate and take charge. You could throw him in a world class tournament tomorrow and he'd be talented enough to play well.

I'm not worried at all by the stats, except I was hoping maybe someone would light a fire under his ass. If this guy could take charge... sky is the limit. Even if he remains as he is, he is still one of the safest youngster as far as developing into a star player at the highest level.

In translation....
Where's mark messier when you need him?

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
To further Vlad's point, I think a lot of people will be disappointed with Jay-Bo's offensive production. He isn't an assertive offensive force, despite his skating, and truth be told, he isn't that dynamic with the puck offensively either (although he's certainly solid and a great passer).

He'll be a slightly better skating version of Wade Redden IMO, with no better offensive numbers than Redden is putting up. I think because of his skating and size, he'll be slightly better defensively than Redden though.

The guy is a horse and will be a major contributor for the next two decades, but I'm not sure he'll ever win a Norris. If he does, it might be like Niedermeyer did this past year. Under produces offensively for a lot of years (Niedermeyer partly because of his system) and then maybe slips into the Norris in an off-year. And when I say under-produces, I mean 40-50 points per year. Solid numbers, but not your typical Norris numbers.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
dancingtree said:
Does anyone know why Jay-Bo has relatively poor offensive numbers (3 goals + 5 assists in 23 games) this year in the AHL? I thought he would be racking up the points by now.

Playing on San Antonio doesn't help. SA is good defensively but struggles to put the puck in the back of the net. As far as the future goes he is going to be a superstar. He could be the next Pronger but he needs to use his body a lot more. I see him challenging for a norris in the next 5 years though he may never win one.

mooseOAK*

J17ster said:
Playing on San Antonio doesn't help. SA is good defensively but struggles to put the puck in the back of the net. As far as the future goes he is going to be a superstar. He could be the next Pronger but he needs to use his body a lot more. I see him challenging for a norris in the next 5 years though he may never win one.

If you can't dominate in the AHL, it is a long road to a Norris trophy.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
mooseOAK said:

Take into consideration that Bouwmeester is young, playing on a bad offensive team and seems to play to the level of the league. For instance he played very repectable in the world cup, was the best d-man at the world championships and increased is offensive production in about 30 games less. He has been hyped for years as the best defensive prospect in years. I think it is unfair to say he has had a bad season in the AHL. Just look at SA stats. Weiss is the top scorer and is well under a ppg. He is averaging the same ppg as he did in the NHL last season. Does that mean guys who are dominating the NHL like Kyle Wellwood are better than J-BO.

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
mooseOAK said:
But if you can dominate a World Cup, then the Norris could be a short road...

Vlad, I agree 100% with what you said. I think that as the Panthers build up their talent level, Bo will as well.

mooseOAK*

J17ster said:
Take into consideration that Bouwmeester is young, playing on a bad offensive team and seems to play to the level of the league. For instance he played very repectable in the world cup, was the best d-man at the world championships and increased is offensive production in about 30 games less. He has been hyped for years as the best defensive prospect in years. I think it is unfair to say he has had a bad season in the AHL. Just look at SA stats. Weiss is the top scorer and is well under a ppg. He is averaging the same ppg as he did in the NHL last season. Does that mean guys who are dominating the NHL like Kyle Wellwood are better than J-BO.

There are players who have the offensive skills and don't meet the height and weight requirements and there is the vice versa. If Bouwmeester is playing 30 minutes a game and on the PP, as I assume he is, the lack of offensive production for him and the team falls on his own shoulders to a large degree. Norris trophy candidates have the whole package of defence and offence.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
mooseOAK said:
There are players who have the offensive skills and don't meet the height and weight requirements and there is the vice versa. If Bouwmeester is playing 30 minutes a game and on the PP, as I assume he is, the lack of offensive production for him and the team falls on his own shoulders to a large degree. Norris trophy candidates have the whole package of defence and offence.

SA powerplay is dreadful. Bouwmeester is d-man not a winger or a center so he isn't the go to guy. The team does fall on him but defensively, a SA have been defensively solid. J-BO is playing well defensively. The difference is Norris candidates have a lot of help offensively something which J-BO isn't getting right now similiar to the NHL andn yet he was on course for 30 point season in his second year for a weak team. So saying he doesn't have offense is untrue. The real issue with J-BO is using his size. That is the only thing i can see stopping him becoming the best d-man in the league.

Hughes J Laffy

A-Laf #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Well, ppl just tend to score big goals in certain league and then dissapear in NHL. Take Rosa for example, he is scoring alot more goals and points than Kovalchuk right now in RSL. But would he do the same in NHL? I dont think so, actually I know he wont.

But I have full confidence that J-Bo will be a superstar in NHL, very soon. Sure J-Bo does not play physical enought, but from what I have seen from World Cup he got no problem using the body. And Im not sure I want him to play as physical as Pronger cause first of it is not J-Bo style so it may hamper his development. Second is that play a Pronger style lead to many, many injuries so Im fine if J-Bo play a position play like Lidstrom, with a little more physical ofcourse, what is my thought of him from what I seen so far.

And no worry about J-Bo winning the Norris Trophy cause it is as safe as the sun will go up tommorrow that he will win a couple in the future.

CorneliusBennet

Nov 29, 2004
having seen him play this year on more than a half dozen different occasions, it's apparent he has no interest in playing at the AHL level. This could be construed as a lack of character on his part, by the way. You work hard every game every shift, especially as a youngster. Does JBo think he's "above" that? He's not. Nobody is. What I find sort of interesting is how it's pretty clear he doesn't have truly high end offensive potential so he'll never be a point producing dman and he doesn't play a physically intimidating brand of hockey in the least bit, despite his size. His positioning has been lousy at times at the AHL level (again, I've seen it firsthand) so while he's a huge kid that can skate like the wind he'll never be a top end offensive dman, he'll never be a physical presence of any worth and he needs to improve his positioning (or it may be that he's just playing a lazy, dragass style of hockey at the AHL other reasons) in order to be among the elite defensive dmen. Comparisons to Pronger (which I heard during his draft year) are idiotic. I'd bump JBo to a spot below Pitkanen if I were choosing a young dman to build around. At this point, having seen his 'performance' at the AHL level, there are probably a few other young dmen I'd much rather have than JBo.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
J17ster said:
If they're a bad offensive team I think that speaks volumes about Weiss, Horton, and Bouwmeester, does it not?

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Jacobv2 said:
If they're a bad offensive team I think that speaks volumes about Weiss, Horton, and Bouwmeester, does it not?

Horton has come back from injury and was getting going until the shoulder injury re-occured. Weiss has already proved he can play at the NHL level and succed. He was on target for 40-50 point season. That speaks volumes. SA have a lot of young guys playing in their first season outside juniors or coming back from injuries. They just aren't putting it together right now. When these guys get it together they will be devastating. More importantly the Panthers have some great prospects and young players.

mooseOAK*

Jacobv2 said:

Seven of the top Panther prospects plus Weiss giving them three that were drafted in the top four overall.

Sammy*

Jacobv2 said:
Not at all. It means their best players are 19 & 20 years old.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Weiss, Horton and Bouwmeester are probably are best players down the line. All three are possible "franchise players". Believe me thats saying a lot as we have other guys like Stewart and Olesz in the pipe line. We have so much depth at foward.

CorneliusBennet

Nov 29, 2004
J17ster said:
Weiss, Horton and Bouwmeester are probably are best players down the line. All three are possible "franchise players". Believe me thats saying a lot as we have other guys like Stewart and Olesz in the pipe line. We have so much depth at foward.

Weiss is certiainly not a 'franchise player' in the least bit. Take off your Fla colored glasses. He may develop into a rather softish but talented 2nd line center but "franchise player?" Geez, talk about completely overrating your prospects.

espo*

Vlad The Impaler said:

Agree with this,he just does'nt take the bull by the horns enough.It's frustrating at times because he could be a norris guy for sure but i wonder if it's ever gonna happen,maybe when he matures and sees he has to take it upon himself for the team to take the next step he will do it.That's how i see him breaking out of it and asserting himself because you can tell he's a good team guy.He's sure not about glory so i can't see him taking control just out of desire.He is so talented(though i've never been totally sold on his blueline in offensive game,i find a guy like Pitkanen is the better young guy there) But you are right,you can put him on any world class team and he does'nt look out of place,he's just such a good skater,big and has great poise.The skys the limit if he decides to assert himself but will he?.But i think the guy could fall asleep out there and still become an all-star,but he should be so much more should'nt he? Oh well...he's still only 20 so lot's of time.

bruins4777*

Something people are overlooking is that other young dmen in the AHL are struggling as well. Look at joni pitkanen.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
CorneliusBennet said:
Weiss is certiainly not a 'franchise player' in the least bit. Take off your Fla colored glasses. He may develop into a rather softish but talented 2nd line center but "franchise player?" Geez, talk about completely overrating your prospects.

Weiss is our second line center and i bet if there were a season he'd be a 2nd center on quite a number of teams. You're right in saying he may not be a franchise player but it isn't out of the question. I'm pretty sure Weiss will a good top line center and that isn't overating him. Weiss isn't a prospect anyway.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
J17ster said:
Weiss is our second line center and i bet if there were a season he'd be a 2nd center on quite a number of teams. You're right in saying he may not be a franchise player but it isn't out of the question. I'm pretty sure Weiss will a good top line center and that isn't overating him. Weiss isn't a prospect anyway.

Weiss is no franchise center like he was predicted to potentially be on draft day, but he will be this season as he was last, a great #2 center at such a young age. I am almost positive he will be a SOLID 1rst line center on whatever team, hopefully FLA, he plays on in 5 years.

Bouwmeester doesn't care in San Antonio. End of story! He tried for a 3 game stretch, picked up 5 points in 2 games with a shorthanded goal too, just to show that he's way better than anyone there, and now he stopped trying again.

FLA's top prospects are Meyer, Roussin, Kreps, Stewart, Horton, Krajicek, Globke, and Campbell.

Taticek will adjust IMO, but he's looking more and more like a bust every month. Globke hasn't done anything plus he's been out. Kreps has been out for the past 4 games, but TORE up the preseason but hasn't been able to get it going yet for some reason. Kolnik isn't producing and I have no idea why, cuz he was great for FLA. Maybe he as well, thinks he's too good for the AHL, which he is, but that doesn't sound like Juraj. I don't know what's going on with him. His son has some condition, I'm not sure if it's a weak muscle in his throat or something that can collapse or what, which he almost died or something like that, and Juraj struggled when he was sick, so maybe something's going on at home, cuz he's an offensive wizard especially in the AHL.

Meyer, Roussin, Hecimovic, and Stewart are all still in the OHL. Weiss had come back from injury just as Horton had.

San Antonio has no one besides Weiss and Horton right now it seems.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Dr.Sens(e) said:
To further Vlad's point, I think a lot of people will be disappointed with Jay-Bo's offensive production. He isn't an assertive offensive force, despite his skating, and truth be told, he isn't that dynamic with the puck offensively either (although he's certainly solid and a great passer).

He'll be a slightly better skating version of Wade Redden IMO, with no better offensive numbers than Redden is putting up. I think because of his skating and size, he'll be slightly better defensively than Redden though.

This is the problem we have here....If Bouwmeester had 19 points in 25 games were raving about his dominance....but because he's not tearing it up on an offensively challenged team that doesn't stimulate Jay Bo, suddenly he's not as good as he was say in the summer time...

Give me a break...He's a great young Dman...and I am sure that Norris trophys are down the road for him....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->