Bourque Is Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
marshall4 said:
How long will he be out for?

If it's his ACL/MCL could that be the rest of his season done with BU?

If it is ACL or ACL/MCL...he is out for at least 4-6 months [surgery and rehab included]

If it is MCL alone...he is out 3-6 weeks depending on how bad it is torn [partial or complete] and if their is meniscal [cartilage] damage.

From the replay it looks like it could be either of the above, IMO.

Mxpunk

Jul 3, 2004
RPV, CA
I think we're being too hard on Bourque. True, his passing skills aren't great, but he does add some decent hustle and forecheck along the boards. He has a great shot, and he has a nose for the net. In addition, according to some reports, he was very impressive in the Caps' rookie camp. I don't think everyone is kissing Ray Bourque's butt; Chris Bourque does have some good sniping skills that many are overlooking IMO.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
I don't care whose son he is, Bourque played very well and created scoring chances in the offensive zone consistently. He made a weak matador play in the defensive zone that led to a goal in the second game and that cost him ice time. Other than that the kid is playing as well as I hoped.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Mxpunk said:
In addition, according to some reports, he was very impressive in the Caps' rookie camp.

Most people wouldn't know how to assess talent in game situation if their life depended on it. Assessing players at a training camp is even more difficult in my experience.

johnny cool

Feb 19, 2004
the reason i don't like chris bourque is because i've never seen someone with such a poor shot take so goddamn many. his goals:shots ratio this season for BU is absurd.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Blueshirt13 said:
There are a ton of question marks as to why staff made certain moves. Having Bourque on the first line is one of many. Why isn't Jack Johnson there? Why isn't Thelan and Lewis?

I have no idea what's been going through their heads but they really need to look at team building concepts and realize you need guys that can play D and check.
Is it USA hockey or the coaching staff or Sandelin alone? I look at how Canada chose their team, and Sutter was basically approached by Hockey Canada and asked if he would coach and help build a winner. In the past coaches would apply for the position and then a commitee would choose the coach. With no gold since '97 the brass at Hockey Canada wanted to change things up, and they did. Sutter has chosen a team he feels excels at every part of the game, all while keeping the Sutter standards; Work hard, skate hard, hit hard. There is no quit in him and no quit in his team. The players want to win and have really bought into his system. This years entry also marks the first time in a long time that the No. 1 goalie is not from the QMJHL, but rather all four of the invitees were from the WHL, where Sutter coaches the Red Deer Rebels. These may be coincidences but I feel that Sutter had his hand in most of the decisions in making up this team. Canada approached him, and therefore he wanted to do things his way. Hard to argue with the results thus far, but after finishing second the last two years, they want gold, and nothing else will do. Having said that, there is a lot of hockey to be played, and entering the always interesting elimination rounds anything can, and usually does happen. The one benefit I feel team Canada has is Sutter. His coaching style tells me that should Canada fall short once again in its quest for gold, it won't be from lack of focus or desire. That other team will simply have to want it more, and from what I can see, there is no team like that in this tourney.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
JohnGalt said:
I don't care whose son he is, Bourque played very well and created scoring chances in the offensive zone consistently. He made a weak matador play in the defensive zone that led to a goal in the second game and that cost him ice time. Other than that the kid is playing as well as I hoped.
That is your opinion, and you are most entitled to it. However, you are speaking as a Caps fan, and the last time I checked, Bourque was a Caps pick. If you could remove your Caps coloured glasses, and try to judge his play for what it has been, then your thoughts would be more easily understood. He has not played well, he knows it, his father knows it, and Team USA know it too. The truth is he should never have been placed on the first line. In short tourneys like this you have to make the most of every line, and he was unable to play up to his linemates skill level. I have stated this before, he has speed...and then what?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
ryanlambert said:
the reason i don't like chris bourque is because i've never seen someone with such a poor shot take so goddamn many. his goals:shots ratio this season for BU is absurd.

Actually, I like his shot. What's wrong with it? He shoots with authority. Seens two games of Boston this year and in both, I thought his shot was one of his best assets.

johnny cool

Feb 19, 2004
Vlad The Impaler said:
Actually, I like his shot. What's wrong with it? He shoots with authority. Seens two games of Boston this year and in both, I thought his shot was one of his best assets.
when it's on net, sure. his "attempted shots" (jackie parker's favorite stat) per game have to be ridiculous.

i will say that when his shot is actually on net, it's not a bad one, but his accuracy is not so good.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
MePutPuckInNet said:
somehow, amidst all the hype and media attention, the press keeps neglecting to mention the fact that Bourque was BENCHED in the third period of the Swiss game. And was DEmoted to the 2nd line for the Czech game. I'm sorry the guy got hurt, I really am. But I wish people would wake up and realize that 99% of the Team USA's boy's are now doing the happy dance of joy that he's not out there.

Back with the total garbage again I see. Your credibility regarding anything Bourque in my mind is 0. You have countered positive reports from other HF people, his coach, the Caps organization, and Caps fans. The Big Train of Bourqueism. >>>>

Damicles

Dec 27, 2004
Edmonton Alberta!
Sorry.... this might be slighty off topic, but....

The other night I saw Borque on the bench. And he had this World Jr's baseball cap on backwards and it had all the flags of the participating countries, and I thought it was a really cool cap. I couldn't find any info on it. Is there any place where I can see how the whole cap looks like and where I can order it? Thanks in advance.

The Boot

Feb 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
handtrick said:
If it is ACL or ACL/MCL...he is out for at least 4-6 months [surgery and rehab included]

If it is MCL alone...he is out 3-6 weeks depending on how bad it is torn [partial or complete] and if their is meniscal [cartilage] damage.

From the replay it looks like it could be either of the above, IMO.

I'd say that is the most likely situation, i myself suffered a similar injury, complete tear of my ACL and stretched my MCL. I was playing about 2 weeks after with a brace but he would probably take the safe route and go with the surgery rather than risk any further injury. I didn't have an NHL future to think about so i could risk playing with it. So i'd agree and say 4-6 months is most likely, ofcourse he will have most of the summer to fully recover which should help him.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
If he wasn't Ray Bourques son, would any of us ever have even heard of him? I mean seriously.

Just to be arguementative...

2nd generation professional athletes statistically are better suited for the game than 1st generation. Chris Bourque isn't Ray or Rene (Is Rene related to Chris?), but he's a good player and can handle the game.

beets

Dec 27, 2004
Damicles said:
Sorry.... this might be slighty off topic, but....

The other night I saw Borque on the bench. And he had this World Jr's baseball cap on backwards and it had all the flags of the participating countries, and I thought it was a really cool cap. I couldn't find any info on it. Is there any place where I can see how the whole cap looks like and where I can order it? Thanks in advance.

When I was there they had them at the Sioux Shop. I looked online at The Sioux Shop but didn't see them there. I don't know if it's a must be in NoDak to get it or you can order it online. There should be some contact information somewhere and you could call and ask. It's says World Junior Championship 2005 on the front embroidered. Hope that helps. Good luck.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
The Boot said:
I'd say that is the most likely situation, i myself suffered a similar injury, complete tear of my ACL and stretched my MCL. I was playing about 2 weeks after with a brace but he would probably take the safe route and go with the surgery rather than risk any further injury. I didn't have an NHL future to think about so i could risk playing with it. So i'd agree and say 4-6 months is most likely, ofcourse he will have most of the summer to fully recover which should help him.
You never know with knee injuries really. I tore my MCL in soccer, had surgery, came back 2 months later, doctors said it was ok. The first game back, I retore it, and 6 months later, it still hurts like hell everyday...

The Boot

Feb 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
jtuzzi21 said:
You never know with knee injuries really. I tore my MCL in soccer, had surgery, came back 2 months later, doctors said it was ok. The first game back, I retore it, and 6 months later, it still hurts like hell everyday...

There will always be the risk of re-injuring it, the ligament will never be as it was before hand. But if he works hard at strengthening his hamstrings it will help compensate for that (or it has seemed to help mine anyway). I played basketball, soccer, hockey and volleyball in me senior year of highschool after the surgery and i didn't feel any ill effects from it, still haven't so i guess it could go either way.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
borro said:
Back with the total garbage again I see. Your credibility regarding anything Bourque in my mind is 0. You have countered positive reports from other HF people, his coach, the Caps organization, and Caps fans. The Big Train of Bourqueism. >>>>

Maybe you should... You know. Watch him play? He can't pass for his life. I swear, if he was standing still and trying to pass the puck into an open net from the hash marks he'd still manage to miss. He's making O'Sullivan look dumb because every damn pass he gave to Pat was behind him, way too far in front of him, or right into traffic so he'd get killed.

Have you even watched him play? He's been nothing more than mediocre for Boston and apparantly a lot of people are calling him full of himself and a puck hog of sorts. That's just talk of course, but everyone knows about it now. He was benched for poor play because he was awful in the game he was benched.

God, man, take off your damn Cap glasses.

beets

Dec 27, 2004
borro said:

i don't always believe what media says, but i do believe what i see.

Damicles

Dec 27, 2004
Edmonton Alberta!
beets said:
When I was there they had them at the Sioux Shop. I looked online at The Sioux Shop but didn't see them there. I don't know if it's a must be in NoDak to get it or you can order it online. There should be some contact information somewhere and you could call and ask. It's says World Junior Championship 2005 on the front embroidered. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Thanks for the info man. I appriciate it!

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
DownFromNJ said:
Just to be arguementative...

2nd generation professional athletes statistically are better suited for the game than 1st generation. Chris Bourque isn't Ray or Rene (Is Rene related to Chris?), but he's a good player and can handle the game.
The WJC are a far cry from the rigors of the NHL, but it is a world stage, where a name for yourself can be made. See, that's just it, his name is already made, and that is the only reason why there is a thread about him. His play has most definitely not warranted any special attention. He is an adequate player, who could be a good player someday. But from what I saw of him in these WJC's, I wasn't impressed with. He is fast, he mixes it up a bit, and he has a decent shot. But the truth of it is if almost any other 5'7" player possessed those same skills, we would likely rarely hear about him. You can't discount the fact that he gets the press he gets because Ray is his Dad, and not because his on ice play is deserving of it.

When you say he can handle the game, I would agree. Where I think we differ is at what level he can handle the game. I don't see him being an impact player for the Caps, and before he got injured, he really wasn't doing much of Team USA either. I wish him a speedy recovery, and all the success in the world for his career, I just don't think it will happen for him. Not to mention, as different a player as his Dad was, obviously you can't compare a D man to a forward, but more than that, Chris will have to put up with that comparison issue for the rest of his career.

Brent Gretzky had a similar situation. The kid could play, but the problem was when people saw Gretzky on the back of his jersey and he couldn't dominate a game, or score 4 points a night, they didn't take for him what he was...a different player, playing the game differently. That is what Chris will face. True the name coupled with his skills have got him here, but to live up to a legend is no small feat, and it will be interesting to see how Chris deals with it when he gets his shot in the bigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad