Bottom 10? Edit: 6th worst, trending down, season over

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
It is so, so, so pathetic that we are at this point so quickly into Chia's *disastrous* tenure as GM. He was gifted a team with McDavid and Drai on ELCs, Hall and Eberle for supporting scoring, and Nurse and Klefbom as young dmen. He then turned that into: McDavid and Drai on over-paid contracts, Hall and Eberle traded for Larsson, and nothing added to help on the backend other than a TERRIBLE Reinhart trade where we gave away a 1st rounder for nothing. If it wasn't for Chia falling arse-backwards into a Maroon trade, and Sather doing us a favor with the Talbot trade, he would have made exactly ZERO positive moves with this team. Ridiculous that this man still has a job, simply ridiculous.

We are likely going to have to go into a mini-rebuild for the next 2-3 years. Stop and think about that.

Yup, another rebuild. The only good thing about this next rebuild is that we have a great core. The bad news is that we do not have the right people in management to actually rebuild our team properly

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The wildcard team in the West right now (Dallas/Vancouver) is on pace for 87 pts so while it's an uphill battle for the Oilers... it's not over yet by a long shot.

65 games to go and they'll need 73+ more pts (considering the pace the current wild card team is on).

33-25-7 would give them 87 pts on the season. That's 33 wins and 32 losses the rest of the way and that likely puts them at least within striking distance of a playoff spot.

Oilers have 10 pts in their last 10 games... not exactly red hot... but even with that... they are just 4 pts back of a wildcard spot.

Their corsi/fenwick/shots/scoring chances/high danger scoring chances ratios have been (and continue to be) top 3 in the NHL since the season has started.

I have always been someone who views actual goals for/against and the actual SCORE of each game as the most important because obviously that's what wins and losses are derived from... but even I see that the underlying stats are decent and the team is ever so slowly improving their shooting and save pct.

The improvement has been slow though and we'd all like to see them make a more dramatic turnaround... but I do think it's starting to come around. Those stats need to keep improving and they'll start clawing back into the playoff picture slowly but surely.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
It is so, so, so pathetic that we are at this point so quickly into Chia's *disastrous* tenure as GM. He was gifted a team with McDavid and Drai on ELCs, Hall and Eberle for supporting scoring, and Nurse and Klefbom as young dmen. He then turned that into: McDavid and Drai on over-paid contracts, Hall and Eberle traded for Larsson, and nothing added to help on the backend other than a TERRIBLE Reinhart trade where we gave away a 1st rounder for nothing. If it wasn't for Chia falling arse-backwards into a Maroon trade, and Sather doing us a favor with the Talbot trade, he would have made exactly ZERO positive moves with this team. Ridiculous that this man still has a job, simply ridiculous.

We are likely going to have to go into a mini-rebuild for the next 2-3 years. Stop and think about that.

With Chia at the helm we won't be doing much of anything ever I'm afraid. He just isn't cut out to manage a cap and build a team.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Repost from another thread:

This is the turning of the worm, so to speak, if the Oilers can take advantage.

Tough game coming up against StL, however we then play Dallas, STL again, Det, Buf, Bos, Ari. That should be 4 wins.

As of now we are:
- 2nd in NHL in high danger chances for %
- 2nd in Corsi for %
- 2nd *LAST* in high danger goals for %
- *LAST* In high danger shooting %

The last two simply cannot last forever at their historically bad levels. All signs point to a levy break coming up, unless Talbot goes sour again.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Oilers won 3 of the last 4 and still at 2nd worst in the western conference. That how tough it is to dig yourself out of a hole.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Oilers won 3 of the last 4 and still at 2nd worst in the western conference. That how tough it is to dig yourself out of a hole.

No, STL is up next, that's how tough it is. Loved the game last night, loved that the Oilers were able to score a lot but this is playing a team that the wheels fell off who have been playing in front of 5 different goalies. What happens on a team like LV when your first 3 goalies go down with injury is you end up playing in front of someone you don't trust. So you start trying to control the puck all the time, you over commit to doing that because you figure any shot taken will be in the back of your net. You could see it out there so much overplay from Vegas, overpursuit, overpressure, really bad game and even from the guys like Neal who lost his mind several times last night.

We played Vegas at the exact point that guys are going from "well it felt good for awhile, to feeling like playing for an expansion club"

To the Oilers credit they spanked them real hard, Vegas was in a tailspin anyway but now they will be really in a world of hurt. Its hard for competitors like Neal to find themselves in this situation.

Anyway the game could be a turning point, but we don't find that out until STL. That's a real legitimate test.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
why look at the glass half-full when you can look at it half-empty?

Confucius says that he who looks upon glass as half empty, he know that water is precious and not die of thirst.

;)

Just jk and your question is rhetorical but for some people (myself obviously included) the most painful experiences in life are elation followed by dejection. So that those are the ones you learn to avoid.

On the contrary I take great pleasure in the beauty in the world that is lasting, just not as much in things that are cursory. Attach yourself to cursory things and pain will be learned.

I think I had some strange tea this morning..;)

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Individual stats are coming around as well.

McDavid on pace for 100 again
Draisaitl 78
RNH 63
Maroon 54
Lucic 50

Bottom 6 is still ugly

Reactions: Aerrol

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
If Maroon pots 54 points that would be a heckuva year. That's about right for everyone else

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

It's a parity thing. They're also 4 points out of 3rd in the division. I'm unhappy with how the team was built, but wholly unconcerned about this deficit as it relates to the season "being over".

Oilers were 14-15-3 against the East last year and 33-11-6 against the West last year. They're currently 4-2 against the West and 3-7-2 against the East. Sekera a couple weeks out, vast majority of our games coming up against the West. I expect they'll be competitive in the conference by Christmas break.

Reactions: Aerrol

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Confucius says that he who looks upon glass as half empty, he know that water is precious and not die of thirst.

;)

Just jk and your question is rhetorical but for some people (myself obviously included) the most painful experiences in life are elation followed by dejection. So that those are the ones you learn to avoid.

On the contrary I take great pleasure in the beauty in the world that is lasting, just not as much in things that are cursory. Attach yourself to cursory things and pain will be learned.

I think I had some strange tea this morning..;)

Why did you get naked and kidnap those people?

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
haha, somebody got the reference. That was one strange story. Still not sure what happened with all that or what kind of tea those people allegedly drank. A lot of that story sounds odd.

But no, I'm harmless for the most part..;)

Lol yeah it was quite odd. can't wait for the rest of the story to come out.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Update on my Russell vs Hamonic avatar bets with the 3 wise men that took the bet against me:

Russell 6 pts plus 2
Hamonic 2 pts minus 5

Too bad Drivesaitl chickened out on the bet or I'd have the 4 stooges to design avatars for at the end of the season. :)

Reactions: Ol' Jase

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Update on my Russell vs Hamonic avatar bets with the 3 wise men that took the bet against me:

Russell 6 pts plus 2
Hamonic 2 pts minus 5

Too bad Drivesaitl chickened out on the bet or I'd have the 4 stooges to design avatars for at the end of the season. :)
I didn't chicken out on the bet I know a ruse leveraged bet when I see one. I'm good enough at designing bets people fall for myself.. ;)

Reactions: nexttothemoon

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
This team quite simply needs to go on a run. They go on a 7-1 run like they did last year and this board is only gonna have 1st round matchup opponents to discuss.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
This team quite simply needs to go on a run. They go on a 7-1 run like they did last year and this board is only gonna have 1st round matchup opponents to discuss.

Yes they sure do. They seem to come out flat after a huge win so it would be refreshing if they could carry over their positive play against Vegas and channel that into a win against St. Louis tonight

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Win tonight we are 2 points out of a playoff spot and 3 points from 2nd in the Pacific. 6 points out of 1st in the pacific.

Shes over folks, only 63 more games, no way we can make it up. LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad