Bottom 10? Edit: 6th worst, trending down, season over

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Honestly I knew they were going to take a step back this year and said so in the summer but I still thought they would be an 8th to 11th place team in the Western conference this year. This surprises me a bit how bad they are actually doing. Though they likely scratch and claw their way back up and eventually wind up 8th-11th by season's end.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So 9 points through 13 games, on pace for a 57 point season. That would be the worst season in our teams history. Stop and think about that for a second. Then stop and think about whether you all still think I'm wrong that we are going to finish bottom-10. I was somewhat joking with the "bottom-5" comment, but the reality is that its a very real possibility right now.

Still a ton of hockey to be played but their heads are buried farther up their own asses than I anticipated.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
The Avs are about to enter the tank. They just traded their #1C. Vegas will fall soon--likely when they start playing divisional games. Same with the Canucks. We just need to beat those teams like we did last year.
I dont agree about the Canucks, and it pains me to say that.
Their roster is a lot better than most people want to admit.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
I dont agree about the Canucks, and it pains me to say that.
Their roster is a lot better than most people want to admit.
It is good. They basically threw together a bunch of cast offs that nobody wanted. The thing is that they are still good hockey players. Not key cogs, but they can play the game. There is no way Van goes in the gutter.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I don't think any oiler fan would have guessed the team would suck so bad that it would feel like 2012 and the chance of playoffs might be over by American thanksgiving.

shows how important goaltending is for a team. I know the oilers can't score, but with Talbot also sucking... ouch.

but hey. how about that awesome right wing depth. amirite?

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
I don't think any oiler fan would have guessed the team would suck so bad that it would feel like 2012 and the chance of playoffs might be over by American thanksgiving.

shows how important goaltending is for a team. I know the oilers can't score, but with Talbot also sucking... ouch.

but hey. how about that awesome right wing depth. amirite?

Talbot hasn’t been good, but I would say he is far from the main problem. Defensive issues resolved and some actual hockey from our bottom six and you would see Talbots numbers go back to a more respectable number. A lot of the games he has simply been left out to dry. Do we need a save once in a while? For sure. But this is a you scratch my back I scratch yours situation and right now everyone’s itchy as f***.

What do they expect from him? They have literally drove him into the ground due to the lack of a quality backup goaltender.

In terms of RW depth, Chia took a massive risk in hoping JP would make some improvements and crack the roster this year. That has failed miserably and if the Oilers end up bottom 5 or 10 I would assume it costs him his job. But, you’ve seen how lenient the Oilers have been towards inept management.

Last edited:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Talbot hasn’t been good, but I would say he is far from the main problem. Defensive issues resolved and some actual hockey from our bottom six and you would see Talbots numbers go back to a more respectable number. A lot of the games he has simply been left out to dry. Do we need a save once in a while? For sure. But this is a you scratch my back I scratch yours situation and right now everyone’s itchy as ****.

What do they expect from him? They have literally drove him into the ground due to the lack of a quality backup goaltender.

In terms of RW depth, Chia took a massive risk in hoping JP would make some improvements and crack the roster this year. That has failed miserably and if the Oilers end up bottom 5 or 10 I would assume it costs him his job. But, you’ve seen how lenient the Oilers have been towards inept management.

With an organization that has some self-respect, yes, it would cost the GM his job. We are in this situation because of Chia, there is ZERO question about that. But unfortunately, history tells us that this organization does not have any self-respect at all, and will accept losing and mismanagement for a long, long, LONG time. Chia will still be our GM next year, I have no doubts about that.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
The truly scaring thing is Arizona's headlights are closer in the Oilers rearview mirror than Anaheim's tail lights are in front of them.

If AZ somehow manages to catch and pass the Oilers...I can't even.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
The truly scaring thing is Arizona's headlights are closer in the Oilers rearview mirror than Anaheim's tail lights are in front of them.

You have to be prepared for this potentially happening. This team is currently on pace for the worst season in Oilers history. I wish that wasn't so, but it is.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Glimmer of hope there is that Arizona has 2 more games played and Anaheim has 1 more.

Bad side...we are 7 points out with a game in hand. So potentially only 5 points out....We have around 2.5 weeks to either close that gap or make sure it doesn't get ANY larger.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
*Sigh* I was hoping the days of us being out of playoff contention before Christmas were over. Oh well, at least we're all well accustomed to this.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Glimmer of hope there is that Arizona has 2 more games played and Anaheim has 1 more.

Bad side...we are 7 points out with a game in hand. So potentially only 5 points out....We have around 2.5 weeks to either close that gap or make sure it doesn't get ANY larger.

Yup that being said we have to start winning games, go on a streak, .500 hockey isn’t going to get it done.

I really think we will go on a streak and pull out of the funk.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yup that being said we have to start winning games, go on a streak, .500 hockey isn’t going to get it done.

I really think we will go on a streak and pull out of the funk.
We have a 4 game road trip against the east. Islanders, Devils, Rangers (saturday 11am game) and the Capitals. We don't stand a hope in hell going 0.500 on that trip so hopefully we can do well against the couple of west teams we play coming up....Oh its STL twice, Vegas, Dal and Ari.... at least we stand a chance against Arizona :/

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
We have a 4 game road trip against the east. Islanders, Devils, Rangers (saturday 11am game) and the Capitals. We don't stand a hope in hell going 0.500 on that trip so hopefully we can do well against the couple of west teams we play coming up....Oh its STL twice, Vegas, Dal and Ari.... at least we stand a chance against Arizona :/
Well, I guess we don’t need to bother watching the road trip, guaranteed under .500 on it, thanks for the insight

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
If they're taking a step backwards then it's better to know sooner than later. If it's not going to be a situation that turns this season, then its better to have the best possible pick in the 2018 draft and continue to build around the younger group we have, hopefully adding another core piece. A new GM can offload Chia's mistakes as time goes on.

What the Oilers are doing this year is crash and burn, not "taking a step backwards"

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What the Oilers are doing this year is crash and burn, not "taking a step backwards"

It's basically the same thing as Calgary and Colorado. It happens with young teams. We're not ready yet, still have a large window to work with.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It's basically the same thing as Calgary and Colorado. It happens with young teams. We're not ready yet, still have a large window to work with.
Large Window?
Our cap next year goes to f***ing shit. We have 13 players signed for 60 million dollars. We have to sign 12 players for 15-18 million.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Large Window?
Our cap next year goes to ****ing ****. We have 13 players signed for 60 million dollars. We have to sign 12 players for 15-18 million.

I don't think the window opens until McDavid is abou 23. It will take 2 years to rebuild the forward group and for Yamamoto and Puljujarvi to grow into being *reliable* players. The pick we make in the 2018 draft will likely need a couple of years.

New GM will be brought in and will over time jettison salary like Russell and Lucic.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don't think the window opens until McDavid is abou 23. It will take 2 years to rebuild the forward group and for Yamamoto and Puljujarvi to grow into being *reliable* players. The pick we make in the 2018 draft will likely need a couple of years.

New GM will be brought in and will over time jettison salary like Russell and Lucic.
Lets hope the cap sky rockets.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lets hope the cap sky rockets.

It will continue to rise as it has for basically the better part of the last decade. Canadian dollar will rebound at some point. Leafs being good helps league revenue as does Vegas having a surprising season.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It will continue to rise as it has for basically the better part of the last decade. Canadian dollar will rebound at some point. Leafs being good helps league revenue as does Vegas having a surprising season.
I bet the cap stagnates this year as it adjusts to having 31 teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad