Bottom 10? Edit: 6th worst, trending down, season over

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'll settle with them turning into complimentary wingers. That's the price you pay when McDavid and Drai makes 21M total
Kassian is a maybe. Slepyshev is huge long shot.
Your plan to fix our defense gives us zero chance at having a competent offense. We might not bleed chances against but then we aren't scoring worth shit either.

"My tires suck so imma sell some of my engine parts to buy new tires."

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You're focusing too much on Slepy and not that fact that McDonagh is also on that starting line up
Is McDonagh scoring goals too?
The defensemen who hasn't hit above 10 goals in....4 years?

Look at LA, they had a great defense, didn't allow shit all for shots or goals. But they couldn't score either cause out side of their centers no one could score.

So I mean, unless you want to just miss playoffs every year and are just happy you aren't getting blown out but losing a lot of close 2-1 3-1 games. Then sure great lineup.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Kassian is a maybe. Slepyshev is huge long shot.
Your plan to fix our defense gives us zero chance at having a competent offense. We might not bleed chances against but then we aren't scoring worth **** either.

"My tires suck so imma sell some of my engine parts to buy new tires."

I appreciate the defensive upgrade but McDavid needs better wingers too.

Good defense is good offense.

In 2 years, it doesn't have to be Slepy. By then Safin or Maksimov could be ready or a free agent signing.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Is McDonagh scoring goals too?
The defensemen who hasn't hit above 10 goals in....4 years?

Look at LA, they had a great defense, didn't allow **** all for shots or goals. But they couldn't score either cause out side of their centers no one could score.

So I mean, unless you want to just miss playoffs every year and are just happy you aren't getting blown out but losing a lot of close 2-1 3-1 games. Then sure great lineup.
Using a 2 time championships team as example is not a good choice. Teams win championships because of great defense with the exception of last year Pitts. Chicago won 3 cups without a #2C. Pitts won cups without any wingers. Boston won a cup with a lack of forward depth. LA won cups with tight offense

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I haven't figure that out either, which is why I haven't been suggesting it. 2 guys I would like out of the Rangers (besides the obvious guys) are Grabner and Holden, as veteran depth.
Grabner would be a real good pickup, add some much needed speed to our middle 6, and I believe he's really good on the PK

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Why are the NYR getting rid of their best D man again?
It's not out of the realm of possibility to suggest that McDonagh could be on his way out if NYR decides to rebuild. What exactly do they have use for him? With him, NYR is not finishing in the bottom 5 but probably won't be good enough to make the playoffs. Just an endless cycle of mediocrity. We seen that before. By the time NYR is competitive again he would already be on the decline. Trading him and getting assets back for a rebuilding team makes more sense

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Listed as RD on CapFriendly, I have no reason to think otherwise, it's why I see him as a fit as well. The Rangers have Shattenkirk, Smith, Deangelo and Kampfer as their other RD.
I think a D core of
Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Russel/Holden
Nurse - Russel/Holden

Would be pretty good once sekera is back

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I haven't figure that out either, which is why I haven't been suggesting it. 2 guys I would like out of the Rangers (besides the obvious guys) are Grabner and Holden, as veteran depth.
Nobody is going to be giving us a top 4 D this early in the year. Said it time and time again the opportunity to upgrade was in the offseason.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Nobody is going to be giving us a top 4 D this early in the year. Said it time and time again the opportunity to upgrade was in the offseason.

What top 4 D were available in the summer? That fit into a cap structure that we have? Yes you could have Hamonic, but you can't have Hamonic and Russell.

We need a top 2 D with the way Klefbom is playing. Two losses are mainly on him IMO.

Nurse, Russell, Auvitu, even Gryba were all decent to good last night ... Larsson is being dragged down by how bad Klefbom is.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
What top 4 D were available in the summer?

We need a top 2 D with the way Klefbom is playing. Two losses are mainly on him IMO.
I don't know. Other than the ones that were moved I really don't know. Only Chia knows that. Doing nothing was not the answer and it's evident now more than ever.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't know. Other than the ones that were moved I really don't know. Only Chia knows that. Doing nothing was not the answer and it's evident now more than ever.

This team is also 3-2 or 2-2-1 most likely if Klefbom shows up to play this season.

Kinda hard to account for that.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This team is also 3-2 or 2-2-1 most likely if Klefbom shows up to play this season.

Kinda hard to account for that.
Not directly but I think it was naïve to believe some regression would not occur. Is anyone playing at the same level they were last year? I also still don't like the Gryba/Auvitu pairing.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not directly but I think it was naïve to believe some regression would not occur. Is anyone playing at the same level they were last year? I also still don't like the Gryba/Auvitu pairing.

There's regression and then there's going from a full head of hair to slick bald in 4 months. Klefbom needs to be accountable for his play, he single handedly lost the team the game last night and the Vancouver loss is largely on him too IMO.

We win that game yesterday if Klefbom is scratched for Mark Fayne.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
There's regression and then there's going from a full head of hair to slick bald in 4 months. Klefbom needs to be accountable for his play, he single handedly lost the team the game last night and the Vancouver loss is largely on him too IMO.
I thought the Vancouver loss was Benning/Russell's fault but whatever.

The point is you need insurance in case players struggle. The entire defense is a tirefire right now and they badly miss Sekera.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Again, they are struggling and might want a change, and that assumption of both "you can't make trades now" and "you should have fixed this largely unexpected result in the offseason" holds back any meaningful discussion.

There are deals out there, they just might cost more then is comfortable.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
There's no deals or cavalry coming. This group needs to figure it out. Starting with no.77 and no.97.

Missing Sekera is not an excuse to be 1-4 especially when Nurse is playing like a legit top 3, which should minimize some of the damage done from his loss. Everyone else just needs to play to THEIR level or at least 80% of it.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Again, they are struggling and might want a change, and that assumption of both "you can't make trades now" and "you should have fixed this largely unexpected result in the offseason" holds back any meaningful discussion.

There are deals out there, they just might cost more then is comfortable.
I mean it's possible, it's just that it was a better idea before because then you're bringing in a player who gets a TC and pre-season with his new teammates. And I don't know what you mean by "unexpected result". Maybe yes the team wasn't expected to completely fall off the map but the Sekera injury was known for months and he would be missed.

Chia could absolutely make a trade right now but finding a partner is hard when d-men are still a hot commodity and all teams are still in the thick of things. If he brings in an NHL d-man before November I will clam up about the subject, however I don't see it happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad