Boston Globe piece - Blame the Players

Discussion in 'The Business of Hockey' started by Gee Wally, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gee Wally

Gee Wally Grumpy

Awards:
  2. Pepper

Pepper Registered User

3. officeglen

officeglen Registered User

Home Page:
    Thanks for the link. Completely agree with the article.
    Is anybody able to explain the NHLPA thinking? Certainly Goodenow couldn't yesterday. What will the players do next - stay in shape he says. We wanted fair and couldn't get fair and its not fair and it's so unfair, so we stay in shape waiting for the fair.

4. ChiHawks468

ChiHawks468 Registered User

Sales
    That is a great article. Nail on the head kinda stuff! :handclap:

5. chiavsfan

chiavsfan Registered User

Radio News Director
    Home Page:
    Best parts of this article

Complete and right on the head....sorry PA folk

Last edited: Feb 17, 2005
  6. SENSible1*

SENSible1* Guest

GREAT ARTICLE! Thanks for the link.

7. e-e

e-e Registered User

8. KingsFan7824

KingsFan7824 Registered User

Home Page:
    Pretty much gets to the heart of it.

I blame the owners for ruining the game financially, on multiple levels, and bringing the game to the point of a full season lockout.

I blame the players for not ending this mess yesterday, with what will turn out to be the best deal they're going to get from this point forward.

What can be said, it's just a shame. So many questions left to be answered because of yesterday. Not even sure where the starting line is for the league as a whole.

9. amazingcrwns

amazingcrwns drop the puck

Web Programmer
    Home Page:
    This was a great article KPD wrote, can't say I really disagree with anything he said.

10. John Flyers Fan

John Flyers Fan Registered User

Home Page:
    Do NHL players figure the NBA and the NFL have it all wrong? Answer: They must. Could those two leagues be telling NHL leadership to buck trend? Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

The deal the NHLPA offered was better than what the owners in the NBA current;y have.

The NFL hard cap was not negotiated ... it was enforced after the union crumbled.

11. flyercide

flyercide Registered User

IT
    Home Page:

hopefully, we've just witnessed the end of the PA. not the NHL. if i didnt believe the NHL was in such dire straights id probably stop following hockey after this... but i truly feel that the problem lies within the PA. and it needs fixing. unfortunately us fans have to suffer however long it takes.

12. WhalerBoy

WhalerBoy Registered User

hockey poolie
    Home Page:

RE:NBA- Gee, how big of the PA to offer SO much. Better than the NBA one you say? Maybe thats cause the NBA actually has a tv contract, actually has a greater fanbase. Listen to this.....REVENUES!!! I have no problem with an athelete making millions more than I do, because no one will pay $80 to see me play shinny. But I do have an issue with workers, yes workers, overestimating their worth and underestimating the costs associated with being an owner. Like KPD said, hard to tell if its stupidity or greed. Im guessing its a nice mix of both.

re: NFL- Lets hope this one gets enforced as well. Im not sure if the union will crumble fast or soon, but they will crumble if the owners wait them out. I hate the stratedgy as a fan, but I see the business sense in doing so. Make the crumble, break, dissolve whatever. Just do it Ownership.

Fix the finances, then fix the game.

13. Pepper

Pepper Registered User

NHLPA should have seen the this coming...They crumbled and will face the same destiny as NFL.

14. Lorenzo1000

Lorenzo1000 Registered User

Home Page:
    Great article. Probably the best article written about this whole mess. This should be sent to every player in the NHLPA. Maybe they'll wake up then.

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

15. gobuds

gobuds Registered User

Home Page:
  16. chara

chara Registered User

The deal only gets worse for the players.

The owners will declare an impasse, impose their own CBA and open up camps in September but surprise, surprise with NO replacement players.

If players want to show up, so be it. If not, they'll be fined and then they can go on strike. The league will then cancel games as need be, like this past year but this time they won't have to negotiate a new CBA. They'll just wait for the players to come back and they will come back, especially when a lot of the richer older guys, who have little to gain professionally and financially, just quit outright.

17. Old Hickory

Old Hickory Guest

Good article Kevin!

18. chiavsfan

chiavsfan Registered User

Radio News Director
    Home Page:
    About the Brooks article...I saw go ahead and have the Marquee player in question root out the "traitors"...this would cement the PA greed

19. flyercide

flyercide Registered User

IT
    Home Page:
    i misrepresented myself. :p: i am a diehard hockey fan & will always follow hockey no matter what happens. :help: i gave-up baseball i am not giving up hockey.

20. FanSince2014

FanSince2014 What'd He Say?

Home Page:
    If there are any pro-PA people left out there (helloooooo (echo) helloooooo (echo)), how can you NOT see the lengths the NHL went to with their latest offer?
    So, let's think about it this way.

Before the lockout, the PA was getting 76% of league revenue.
    The PA offered a 24% rollback.
    After the 24% rollback, the PA would be getting 52% of league revenue with unlimited room to move higher.

If the PA accepted the NHLs latest offer, the PA could make up to 62% of league revenue, and that 62% would probably be much higher considering shrinking revenue.

Oh well, the NHL will get a deal that makes much more sense now.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2005
  21. Jussi

Jussi Registered User

Home Page:
    That was a good article. :handclap: Sums up the PA's stupidity/greed pretty nicely.

22. FanSince2014

FanSince2014 What'd He Say?

Home Page:
    I am going to recant this statement.

I meant to say the NHL will formulate a plan that will satisfy both parties.

I believe with the impending linkage deal and susbsequent eventual growth of the sport due to upcoming league changes, both parties will be financially rewarded similarly.

23. Devils Advocate

Devils Advocate mmmmmm....Crow.

Actually I thought this was the best part:

I too blame the players. Not once did they share in the responsibility for the escalating player contracts. How many holdouts, arbitration cases, & 110% minimum salary increases does it take before they are held accountable.

Even during Goodenow's press conference, the blame for 'setting contract value' was placed solely on the shoulders of the owners. At least when owners spend irresponsibly they are doing it for the good of the team, the city, & the fans. When they dump a player because they feel his arbitration award is too high, they are called cheap. I'm even guilty of calling Bruin's management cheap.

When players holdout for more money, or take a team to arbitration they are doing it for their own selfish reasons. Usually at the expense of their teammates, their team, their city, & their fans.

For those who watched Goodenow's press conference after Bettman's, you may have noticed he never apologized to the fans, he only told the reporter who asked if they were going to apologize like Bettman had, that "of course we apologize to the fans".

It was sad when Hockey changed from a game to a business, but it was understandable. Now hockey players have changed into businessmen. Selfish businessmen. that is sad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.