GDT: Boston Bruins @ Red Wings - 7:30 EST - FSD

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Whoopty doo! Another loss at home and against the Bruins. What a shock! Sick of losing and losing to that team.

Reactions: Winger98

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Dekeyser-Jensen was really bad tonight. Bert-AA-frk is terrible defensively and probably shouldn’t be a line
Larkin looked solid though

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Getting tired of this team under Blashill. He seems completely out of ideas.

i was, as usual, excited for the season to begin and we've had (very short) stretches where the team was a joy to watch. But the longer the season drags on, it's getting less and less exciting. I'm still watching every game in replay on nhl.tv, but start doing a lot of stuff for work while watching so i don't waste to much time

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Marchenko seemed to lack confidence. He had the skills, but he was so timid on the ice. His skating wasn't terrible, but man, he just couldn't get over his passive nature. Look at Nikita Zaitsev: He's what Marchenko could have been, had be been more aggressive.
It's so interesting how we watched the same player and had totally different conclusions. I felt Marchenko was very confident. I liked that he attempted to hold the offensive zone more often than other players. I liked that he held onto the puck to look for the possession play rather than dumping it 9/10 times. To me that showed confidence.

The main complaint I had about him was he was a bit slow. But other than that I'd actually have preferred to keep him over XO. I liked him a lot as a player.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.

Me too! He has done nothing to help the young guys AA, Mantha Larkin progress. Plays Kronwall, Zetterberg too much when they aren't producing. PP looks terrible again, like it has most of his time here. Does anyone believe in the "Process" I sure don't.
Doubt the players do either at this point.
Sure, this roster isn't very good. Especially the defense. But Blashill is part of the problem.
Make some moves Kenny! Trade a goalie (preferably Howard) trade Green, trade anyone not named Larkin or Mantha. No wonder so many seats are empty at LCA.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Me too! He has done nothing to help the young guys AA, Mantha Larkin progress. Plays Kronwall, Zetterberg too much when they aren't producing. PP looks terrible again, like it has most of his time here. Does anyone believe in the "Process" I sure don't.
Doubt the players do either at this point.
Sure, this roster isn't very good. Especially the defense. But Blashill is part of the problem.
Make some moves Kenny! Trade a goalie (preferably Howard) trade Green, trade anyone not named Larkin or Mantha. No wonder so many seats are empty at LCA.

Larkin had the most time on ice for all skaters and AA was -2 with only 10 minutes of ice time.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I have no idea why Blash thought a pairing that included Jensen and DD would ever work. Jensen is 6-7th defenseman/waiver fodder.
To be fair, there's not really a GOOD way to rearrange that many lousy defensemen. But yeah, that pairing in particular wouldn't be my first choice together.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
Larkin had the most time on ice for all skaters and AA was -2 with only 10 minutes of ice time.

AA, Mantha and Larkin haven't played well for a while now. I don't think Blash knows how to motivate or instill confidence in them. He keeps singling them out especially AA and Mantha. When Kronwall and Zetterberg play poorly he still blames the young guys. The more he publicly criticizes these guys the worse they seem to play.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

Ideas? He's tried every combination possible. There's obviously nothing that will make the Wings play winning hockey consistently. Nielsen is a passenger, Tatar is invisible most the time, Z just isn't fast enough anymore to dominate. Add in a slug like Abdelkader and ineffective Helm... there are no answers.

If anything Blashill is exceeding expectations. I was going to bump the "Blash" thread because we have conclusive proof the guy is actually a decent coach. Playing a defensive trap and collapsing in all 5 skaters in the defensive zone is part of an intelligent strategy that has kept us at least close most games and victorious a few. In some ways it's almost miraculous the Wings have this many points.

As much as we wish it would work, the Larkin-Mantha-AA line is too inexperienced. Like the 4th line last night they're a defensive liability. No NHL coach would run with them if they truly intend to win.

I'd agree last night wasn't great coaching. We shouldn't have to scramble and adjust that heavily to counter Boston. We won two games with Abdelkader on the 4th and AA with Larkin- Blashill shouldn't have broken them up.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I have no idea why Blash thought a pairing that included Jensen and DD would ever work. Jensen is 6-7th defenseman/waiver fodder.

Because Jensen is an NCAA kid.
That's it.
It's why Luke Witkowski is on this team and why Glendening is playing when you need a goal in the final minute and why Abdelkader plays 17 minutes a night and why when Larkin, mired in a slump, plays 21 minutes while AA plays 10.

This coach is going to use his NCAA kids - especially the American ones.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Marchenko couldnt hold a spot on our garbage d corps or the Leafs'

He was not good at all

He didn't score points.
But he had 7 points in 610 minutes.
Smith had 6 in 797.
Ericsson had 9 in 843.
Dekeyser had 10 in 1453.
Kronwall had 6 in 875.

The real noticeable thing is goals against/60

Marchenko 1.67
XO 2.10
Smith 2.11
Green 2.33
Kronwall 2.33
Ericsson 2.56
Jensen 2.96
Dekeyser 3.01

Was that a single season fluke?
From 14-17
Marchenko 1.77
Quincey 2.03
XO 2.03
Smith 2.06
Kronwall 2.29
Ericsson 2.30
Green 2.30
Dekeyser 2.36
Jensen 2.96

Granted, the Wings weren't very productive with Marchenko on the ice.
But they were a net postive
Again 14-17

XO +9
Quincey +6
Marchenko +3
Smith 0
Ericsson -5
Jensen -8
Green -9
Dekeyser -20
Kronwall -25

How about on the PK?