GDT: Boston Bruins @ Red Wings - 7:30 EST - FSD

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Actually, that's on Jensen. I don't think guys should have to play defense when your guy has the puck. I recind my earlier complaint about why he wasn't covered

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Actually, that's on Jensen. I don't think guys should have to play defense when your guy has the puck. I recind my earlier complaint about why he wasn't covered

Nah, AA took too long getting water on the bench. He should have yanked a forward off the ice with his mind bullets, skated into the defensive zone, and turned that into a goal for Detroit.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Nah, AA took too long getting water on the bench. He should have yanked a forward off the ice with his mind bullets, skated into the defensive zone, and turned that into a goal for Detroit.
You might think you're being clever but you aren't.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
AA farted as he was skating by Howard, as it lingered it distracted him enough to throw off his game and let that goal in

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
AA was using his phone on the bench because he's as bored with the game as I am. A glare from his screen caught Howard in the eye and blinded him just as heinen released his shot.

Reactions: Redder Winger

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

Jensen beat the guy there but had half a step on him. So you know it's contested.
He initially lost it. But got it back. Then he lost it.
But neither DK or Abby covered anyone or offered support for a defenseman stuck behind his net.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
See... now there's an unforced, uncontested giveaway by Jensen.
It boggles the mind he gets a free pass while XO sits

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
See... now there's an unforced, uncontested giveaway by Jensen.
It boggles the mind he gets a free pass while XO sits

Honestly, both of them are easily replaceable.

Allow me to expand, before I get lambasted: XO has the mental tools and most of the physical skills, but he lacks the skating to set him apart from others. Combine Smith's skating with XO's game, and you've got a near-elite defenseman.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Oh boy a late goal. Hopefully they get an extra point to make this game really worth it.
It's something I think the Wings could do more of. Obviously you want to shoot high on goalies when they butterfly but there's something to be said for cranking a low one off the leg pad and having guys crash the net weak side.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
It's something I think the Wings could do more of. Obviously you want to shoot high on goalies when they butterfly but there's something to be said for cranking a low one off the leg pad and having guys crash the net weak side.
Yep they're regular corner pickers. Greasy goals are goals.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA

Seriously can't remember the last time the Wings crashed the net on a consistent basis. It drives me crazy, too.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Honestly, both of them are easily replaceable.

Allow me to expand, before I get lambasted: XO has the mental tools and most of the physical skills, but he lacks the skating to set him apart from others. Combine Smith's skating with XO's game, and you've got a near-elite defenseman.

I agree, though he'd still be smallish in today's NHL.

I don't think XO is great. But I do think he's got a bum rap.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
I agree, though he'd still be smallish in today's NHL.

I don't think XO is great. But I do think he's got a bum rap.

You're right, but he wouldn't be the smallest.

One of the things I love about XO is his compete level; especially his willingness to drop the gloves. I don't know what his skating hang-ups are, but from what (admittedly not as much as I'd like) I've seen of it, he needs to work on lengthening his stride and making the most out of his pushes.

His ceiling should be a solid, second-pairing defensive guy, but again, his skating is what's holding him back. And trust me, skating is the foundation for being a top-notch hockey player.

It's what held me back.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
You're right, but he wouldn't be the smallest.

One of the things I love about XO is his compete level; especially his willingness to drop the gloves. I don't know what his skating hang-ups are, but from what (admittedly not as much as I'd like) I've seen of it, he needs to work on lengthening his stride and making the most out of his pushes.

His ceiling should be a solid, second-pairing defensive guy, but again, his skating is what's holding him back. And trust me, skating is the foundation for being a top-notch hockey player.

It's what held me back.

Yeah, skating was Marchenko's weakness too.
And Marchenko was worlds smarter than Jensen.

I heard XO tried losing weight while working on his skating in the offseason.
But truthfully, he's been buried since Kronwall returned.
At times he's been below Witkowski on Blashill's chart.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Blashill laying the loss at the feet of the young guys... despite having 15 shots in the first 2 1/2 periods.

nickyb

May 5, 2004
GG Wings fans......I get NHL Center Ice and I gotta say, Mickey Redmond is hilarious haha that guy is gold........it seems like John Keating gets kind of annoyed with him during his post-game wrap-up sometimes lol but I love him regardless

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
Yeah, skating was Marchenko's weakness too.
And Marchenko was worlds smarter than Jensen.

I heard XO tried losing weight while working on his skating in the offseason.
But truthfully, he's been buried since Kronwall returned.
At times he's been below Witkowski on Blashill's chart.

Marchenko seemed to lack confidence. He had the skills, but he was so timid on the ice. His skating wasn't terrible, but man, he just couldn't get over his passive nature. Look at Nikita Zaitsev: He's what Marchenko could have been, had be been more aggressive.

The only reasoning I can think of for Kronwall's continued existence in the lineup is loyalty. He hasn't been completely useless for the majority of the games he's played, but man, has he made some awful mistakes. I respect him as a player, and as a Red Wings, but it's time to hang them up.

XO's skating woes remind of me of Jiri Hudler's, and without doing in-depth analysis of his stride, it's nearly impossible to figure out what the issue is. At this point, sadly, XO is either waiver fodder or a trade throw-in/late round pick.

Witter should only play defense in emergency situations; he's a decent 4th line forward who is defensively responsible. He provides energy, he hits, and he fights. That's it. Serviceable 4th line/13th forward.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Marchenko seemed to lack confidence. He had the skills, but he was so timid on the ice. His skating wasn't terrible, but man, he just couldn't get over his passive nature. Look at Nikita Zaitsev: He's what Marchenko could have been, had be been more aggressive.

The only reasoning I can think of for Kronwall's continued existence in the lineup is loyalty. He hasn't been completely useless for the majority of the games he's played, but man, has he made some awful mistakes. I respect him as a player, and as a Red Wings, but it's time to hang them up.

XO's skating woes remind of me of Jiri Hudler's, and without doing in-depth analysis of his stride, it's nearly impossible to figure out what the issue is. At this point, sadly, XO is either waiver fodder or a trade throw-in/late round pick.

Witter should only play defense in emergency situations; he's a decent 4th line forward who is defensively responsible. He provides energy, he hits, and he fights. That's it. Serviceable 4th line/13th forward.

I liked Marchenko.
Nearly every time he went into the corner, he came out with the puck. He won battle after battle after battle.
He wasn't a hitter, but he won battles.
There were 3 things I saw in his game I didn't like.
1) A little bit of Kindl-itus with his breakout passes.
2) heavy feet
3) Slow shot release

But from the blueline in, I think he was our best defensive defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad