Post-Game Talk: Boston Bruins at New York Rangers 2/7/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
We have a winner! On all counts

For sure, and I"ll add that it frustrates me to no end that the Rangers started this season with a re-vamped D full of guys who should be able to move the puck, push the offense, etc, but instead of utilizing their strengths, the coaches immediately pulled back their defensemen and left them playing the same passive through the neutral zone and blueline, man on man that no one can get right, no support when you get the puck, and all your breakout plays are stretch passes type of system that really doesn't play to ANY of their strengths.

AV has his system and he's going to make people play it regardless of who he has back there.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We've been filling the bottom 6 and our top6 with AHL players and roster players who can't play the position they are in. We went from being a deep team, to being a team that can't deal with a single injury.
This I agree with. And a portion of the problem are Sather's Lion or Mouse trades that depleted the system and robbed the franchise of valuable draft picks. The fact that they find waiver wire trash to be better than what is on the farm should tell you all you need to know.

As for the record, sorry but I stand by my assertion. Following the awful start, came the hot streak. And since then they have still been "meh". The very definition of mediocre. Except now they are not even that. Now they are just plain awful.

Reactions: Idlerlee

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
That Dan Girardi has morphed from horror show to asset to you in retrospect does not paint me as the one failing to pay attention.

Assigning cause and effect arbitrarily is ridiculous.
He is not talking about Girardi's play. Just his leadership.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Which is why his success is tied to having world class goaltending.

and honestly for whatever reason I feel like guys have just had a harder time playing this system as the years have gone on. In his first couple of years they'd get it and things would click and everyone seemed to know what was going on. I'm not sure if that's personnel (you can't really convince me Girardi or Klein were somehow better suited to this stuff than Shattenkirk or Skjei) or also how the forwards have changed and their ability to play it (they're all pretty awful at providing puck support in the defensive zone) or if the league has just changed and offensive schemes are better at disrupting what AV wants to do. Whatever it is, it's just not working any more

BUT LETS NOT FORGET THE OFFENSE because holy damn trying to create EVERYTHING off the rush is so dumb and while AV talks about "getting our forecheck going" the team 100% definitely is not coached to play a forechecking game. Their forecheck is tentative and slow, so it never works. Guys constantly look afraid of getting out of position or getting caught so they never commit to a forecheck. The entire teams attitude towards opposing puck carriers is basically "skate slowly at them and hope you magically take away enough ice that they turn the puck over" which of course never does anything

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
As for the record, sorry but I stand by my assertion. Following the awful start, came the hot streak. And since then they have still been "meh".

I still disagree with this statement but I have no qualms with people feeling differently. Either way the situation now isn't fun for anyone, regardless of what happens the season will end in 30~ games. Either trades will happen, or LA, Cythil, and others will be NHL ready for 2018/2019.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
This is patently false. The team really struggled to get it together at the start of the season. They were within 1-2 points of top of Metro when Kreider was injured. Its been going downhill with more and more injuries since.

But that's the problem. There is no fallback. If any single player is out, the whole house of cards fall flat. The team never replaced Stepan, Miller was supposed to but he's failed at that. The team decided to try Cythil, that failed.

We've been filling the bottom 6 and our top6 with AHL players and roster players who can't play the position they are in. We went from being a deep team, to being a team that can't deal with a single injury.

The injuries have made this team a huge mess. And everyone are suffering for it, especially the players who can't find consistency.
All of which is the opposite of what the GM thinks and just said to a room full of reporters and cameras.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
All of which is the opposite of what the GM thinks and just said to a room full of reporters and cameras.
Miller was slotted to move to Center before the season started, that's well documented. The rest is, well, pretty obvious? We have had a lot of callups due to injuries.

I don't get whats wrong with my statement in that regard

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Miller was slotted to move to Center before the season started, that's well documented. The rest is, well, pretty obvious? We have had a lot of callups due to injuries.

I don't get whats wrong with my statement in that regard
It’s just that it hasn’t been injuries only.

Top to bottom the management, scouts, players and coaches all share the blame for this.

They tried to hold it together w duct tape and chewing gum but it wasn’t enough

Reactions: Off Sides

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
nevesis said:
That last shot of Henrik on the bench...
Man the look in his eyes was 13 seasons worth of pain, despair and disgust.
Hard to watch.

He realized that (he and his agent) should of accepted/allowed NYR a couple of millions more to spend each year on better quality players - then perhaps no need to smash so many sticks and look like a victim playing for a 'bad team' every other day facing another loss... you can't eat your cake and have it too!​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad