Post-Game Talk: Boston Bruins at New York Rangers 2/7/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
This team is completely lost by their coach.

At this point I only hope that he's still employed just for the draft pick. If not, then Gorton needs to go too.
I absolutely agree.

If AV is the coach to start next season than its worse than we thought. I really, really believe Gorton is just letting AV stick around to help cement our draft position.

Reactions: Machinehead

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
I know I am the only person (or one of very few) here who believes this and I will likely get a colonoscopy from this board after making this comment but...

I really wouldn't mind Torts as coach again.

I'll show myself out.

I feel as if we need a torts-esque coach. Not full blown torts but someone who calls it like they see it. Doesn't sugar coat things and holds his players accountable for their actions. Someone who's fiery and can get the team to be fiery.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
The roster didn't have many holes to start the season. It had holes to be sure but no more than some of the teams that made it to the 2nd round.
50% of this teams problems are coaching and what it has done to the roster for years especially on the work ethic and defensive end.
10% are roster holes,
10% is age in key spots, (inexperience in some, getting old in others)
10% is injuries
2% is losing Stepan and Girardi
and the rest is short sighted moves by the FO going all the way back to jettisoning Stralman.

It's one bad season and there's plenty of young talent. We only had, what 12/13 years in the POs. 4 of them spent contending for a cup? It happens, a franchise has to plummet down at least 1 season out of 14 or 15.

I like what i see outside of AV. Hope Gorton is smart enough to see that too otherwise he's a moron

Last edited:

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Well, I think Torts unfortunately suffered the same fate as AV. Just went stale. One thing about Torts teams though, up until the very bitter end, they never stopped competing.

AV was the antithesis of Torts. One is all offense, and the other is all defense. AV taught offense to a defensive minded team and they went to the cup finals. AV then neglected to realize that defense is a thing and we slowly forgot how to do it.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Question -- have you ever played a team sport, even at a high school level? If you have, you can't tell me that playing with teammates that have good attitudes and leadership abilities makes practicing and playing a more enjoyable time than playing with guys who are negative and/or are extremely quiet.

The "room" and attitude inside it are extremely important. Leadership, or more importantly, lack thereof, can make a weaker team better, and a stronger team worse.

Sure, the players you mention might not be the glue inside the "room", but don't believe chemistry between teammates doesn't have a lot to do with success. Sure, having 5 regulars out is destroying this bunch, but even before that, they weren't the same team they were for the past seasons.

I stunk, but I played hockey in college. I'll take skill and effort over "chemistry" 100 out of 100 times. Our two great attitude guys in the locker room were twin brothers who cost us way more games than they helped.

They were slightly worse than last season before the injuries, but without the injuries we don't know where they would be compared to last season.

If the team is hurting because of the loss of Girardi, the team stinks, anyway.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I assume that all of you people who loudly advocate for tanking and sucking for a high draft pick will commit to purchasing game tickets and attend the games since you are getting your will now?
What’s the deal w this antagonistic BS?!?!

I paid 500$ for two seats at Xmas to watch this underwhelming “team” leave Austin f***ING Mathews repeatedly open in front of Hank. When we tied it up I cheered as loud or louder than anyone else in attendance... that goal would be called back and the NYR didn’t even TRY to get that momentum back that night.

Nor have they on the entire f***ING season.

You wanna brow beat someone?!?! Fight ur way into that disgusting lockeroom and have it out with those that show ZERO heart and ZERO pride night in an night out who ARE PAID RIDICULOUSLY salaries to mail it in while wearing that jersey.

Because $500 is a lot of MY MONEY

I don’t need some holier than thou fan telling me how to feel about where when and how I spend my money and to attempt to make me feel guilty about wanting to see this sad excuse for a team blown to smitherines.

End rant

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
The team needs a coach that can adjust his strategies and cater to his players strengths. One who knows how to properly motivate and one who can recognize how to fairly reward and punish certain players instead of the arbitrary benchings.

Not a stubborn jackass who continues to go with an awful system that has guys out of position and running around uselessly exhausting themselves all while holding select players accountable and playing favorites.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013

I paid 500$ for two seats at Xmas to watch this underwhelming “team” leave Austin ****ING Mathews repeatedly open in front of Hank. When we tied it up I cheered as loud or louder than anyone else in attendance... that goal would be called back and the NYR didn’t even TRY to get that momentum back that night.

Nor have they on the entire ****ING season.

You wanna brow beat someone?!?! Fight ur way into that disgusting lockeroom and have it out with those that show ZERO heart and ZERO pride night in an night out who ARE PAID RIDICULOUSLY salaries to mail it in while wearing that jersey.

I don’t need some holier than thou fan telling me how to feel about where when and how I spend my money and to attempt to make me feel guilty about wanting to see this sad excuse for a team blown to smitherines.

End rant

If you are a paying fan, this was obviously not directed at you. My issue is with people who want to blow everything up and tank for picks, but choose not to attend games because the team is going through a rough spot.

I apologize, I assumed my post was obvious in that regard, my bad.

Some of you are also still conveniently ignoring that this team trashed almost everyone until our injury streak hit after our fun season start, and its been bad since our injury streak has kept growing worse.

This team is a lot better than its record, because the team hasn't even played together most of the season. But everyone are losing their god damn minds because we can't win games with half a AHL roster on the ice.

You mistake me if you think I have any type of holier than thou attitude, I don't.

I merely suggest that those who have wanted the tank for a long ass time, keep tuning into games since they now get what the want. Just like most of us still tune in to watch the spectacle.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
The roster didn't have many holes to start the season. It had holes to be sure but no more than some of the teams that made it to the 2nd round.
50% of this teams problems are coaching and what it has done to the roster for years especially on the work ethic and defensive end.
10% are roster holes,
10% is age in key spots, (inexperience in some, getting old in others)
10% is injuries
2% is losing Stepan and Girardi
and the rest is short sighted moves by the FO going all the way back to jettisoning Stralman.

It's one bad season and there's plenty of young talent. We only had, what 12/13 years in the POs. 4 of them spent contending for a cup? It happens, a franchise has to plummet down at least 1 season out of 14 or 15.

I like what i see outside of AV. Hope Gorton is smart enough to see that too otherwise he's a moron

I like that you came into the Tank knowing your numbers, and you broke it down very clearly. I'm impressed with that. But I just can't see myself investing in this. So, I'm out.

kevinoleary11032014.jpg

Reactions: shinchanyo

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013

I paid 500$ for two seats at Xmas to watch this underwhelming “team” leave Austin ****ING Mathews repeatedly open in front of Hank. When we tied it up I cheered as loud or louder than anyone else in attendance... that goal would be called back and the NYR didn’t even TRY to get that momentum back that night.

Nor have they on the entire ****ING season.

End rant
To some fans it's being loyal. Woop de doo.

To others it's like a parent refusing to discipline their child. Sure you love your kid but being blind and refusing to do anything different when the kid is acting out hurts not only the kid in the end, but every1 else who has to suffer bc of the kids actions.

In this case, you continue to reward the team even though it's turned its back on you and everyone else by pricing you out, fielding a crap team and employing an awful coach. Loyal diehard in one hand, blind sucker on the other.

Reactions: Riche16

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I know I am the only person (or one of very few) here who believes this and I will likely get a colonoscopy from this board after making this comment but...

I really wouldn't mind Torts as coach again.

I'll show myself out.

You're far from alone on that..

Reactions: Mac n Gs

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I stunk, but I played hockey in college. I'll take skill and effort over "chemistry" 100 out of 100 times. Our two great attitude guys in the locker room were twin brothers who cost us way more games than they helped.

They were slightly worse than last season before the injuries, but without the injuries we don't know where they would be compared to last season.

Maybe it's different in a football lockerroom...don't know, but a cancerous situation can make a good team turn on each other in a hurry. When you don't know if your teammate completely has your back, it's not a good environment, regardless of talent level.

I've also been part of teams that had less overall talent, but everyone on the team generally liked each other that were much more successful.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I wouldn't pay 500 bucks to watch a scf game in msg leave alone a regular season meaningless game. I pay for nhl center ice year after year and will continue to do so...granted I live in Atlanta but this woudlnt change if I lived across the street from the stadium. Hockey is too expensive to see in person...I miss the thrashers...is see the rangers twice a year and it would cost me 20 bucks....total.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Leadership was the only thing left Girardi was providing in his role, but he clearly was the guy leading the defense and promoting buy-in on the coach’s plan. Stepan was a guy like that too. Our execution level is more than just correlated with those guys leaving.

Also, you don’t get maximum effort without chemistry. You can’t easily break these things down into component parts and evaluate each individually.

Reactions: NCRanger

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Stupid question.

Why can't JG just call AV and simply say, listen, we just don't have the horses to play right now..
Install a trap?

Minus all the conspiracy theories, this isn't rocket science.
It's hockey.
IDK what this guys f***ing glitch is..

Reactions: Samuel Culper III

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Some of you are also still conveniently ignoring that this team trashed almost everyone until our injury streak hit after our fun season start, and its been bad since our injury streak has kept growing worse.
The team trashed everyone? When? They were a midling "meh" team before the injuries.
This team is a lot better than its record, because the team hasn't even played together most of the season. But everyone are losing their god damn minds because we can't win games with half a AHL roster on the ice.
Sorry. You are what your record says you are.

Reactions: Riche16

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Stupid question.

Why can't JG just call AV and simply say, listen, we just don't have the horses to play right now..
Install a trap?

Minus all the conspiracy theories, this isn't rocket science.
It's hockey.
IDK what this guys ****ing glitch is..

We're often chasing back to our defensive zone. Trap can be installed, and we play a trap in the neutral zone, but until the system is fixed for the two other zones, we're still looking at a disaster. With the personnel, everything needs to be dialed back. Stop with the over-aggressive pinches. Close the damn gaps. It's also amazing the huge amount of bad 50/50 in-between decisions we make.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
We're often chasing back to our defensive zone. Trap can be installed, and we play a trap in the neutral zone, but until the system is fixed for the two other zones, we're still looking at a disaster. With the personnel, everything needs to be dialed back. Stop with the over-aggressive pinches. Close the damn gaps. It's also amazing the huge amount of bad 50/50 in-between decisions we make.

Trap and counter
With injuries and the current personnel issues, I really don't see how they can play any other way right now.

It's the obvious thing to do.
I just don't get why this charade is allowed to continue..

Reactions: will1066
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad