Boston Bruins-3 best defensemen of all time?

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Granted that this thread was bumped from 2006 for some weird reason, and I'm not going to moderate posts which were made from a period before I became a moderator.

Let's keep this revived thread to comparisons amongst Bruins defensemen. There are plenty of other threads to discuss Bourque vs. Harvey or Bourque vs. Lidstrom.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Granted that this thread was bumped from 2006 for some weird reason, and I'm not going to moderate posts which were made from a period before I became a moderator.

Let's keep this revived thread to comparisons amongst Bruins defensemen. There are plenty of other threads to discuss Bourque vs. Harvey or Bourque vs. Lidstrom.

I just thought it was the point because the original post is implying that the Bruins had the top 3 defensemen in NHL history on their roster.

FutureConsiderations

Dec 29, 2005
Brookline, MA
The argument absolutely can be made. Orr is #1, then Shore and Bourque have to be in the top five. For me, the top two are Orr and Bourque without question. Then there's Shore, Harvey, Lidstrom, Coffey... any of them could be 3-5.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I just thought it was the point because the original post is implying that the Bruins had the top 3 defensemen in NHL history on their roster.

Ah, good point. I jumped in during the rambling part (mainly to see why it was bumped to begin with). Carry on.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Orr, Shore, Bourque.

It's hard to say which had more value -- Hart trophies in a 6-team league or Norris trophies in a 21-team league.

But I do know that 2 Cup rings trumps 0 cup rings (for the uniform), so in that respect I would place Bourque 3rd.
Technically, Bourque should be 4th. Doug Harvey was certainly better IMO. I outlined a strong case for Harvey over Bourque a page back.

Has nothing to do with the cup rings though. Team based trophy. Despite his magnificent effort and stellar ability to carry a weaker team on his back, one man cannot take a weaker team and expect to beat a Dynasty. Particularly one of the strongest Dynasties of all time. And as discussed and proven before, Bourque and Neely were pretty much the only players who showed up in the finals both times the Bruins made it(Bourque outscoring Neely slightly, and every other Bruin by double)

Bourque vs Lidstrom is another story. If you weigh Bourque's best period, statistically, postseason and two-way play, I would say 1987-1994. In that span he won 5 Norris Trophies, 7 1st team AS, 2 SCF appearances.

Lidstrom's best body of work is 2000-2008 (I thought he was marginal defensively in 2009 but was still a norris finalist and captained a SC finalist). Between 2000-2008, he won 6 Norris Trophies, 7 1st Team AS, 2 SC Championships and a very big Conn Smythe.
Quality of competition is everything in this comparison. The field Lidstrom competed with in his prime was notably much weaker than the field Bourque competed against.

Lidstrom would not have won 6 Norris trophies, nor would he have been the best if he started his career in Bourque's place in Boston. Looking at Lidstrom's first 3 Norris trophies, he would not have beat Bourque, Chelios, or Macinnis in their primes. His last 3 norris trophies, he MIGHT beat some of them, but it would depend on the year.

Bourque IMO has several peak years that are better than anything Lidstrom ever put forth on his best years.

1983-84 = 96 points in 78 games, 5th in Hart Voting.
1984-85 = 86 points in 73 games, 5th in Hart Voting + Led the Bruins in scoring by 10 points over the next guy(Rick Middleton).
1986-87 = 95 points in 78 games, Runner up for the Hart to Gretzky. Led the Bruins in scoring by 23 points over the next Guy(Cam Neely)

89-90 deserves a category all on its own. It is the single best season from a Defenseman since Orr retired. 84 points in 76 games and absolutely dominant performances night in and out, shutting down teams completely and running a ridiculously superior transition game, winning the Bruins a Presidents trophy, despite them being a weak depth team outside of Bourque and Neely and Moog/Lemelin. It was a true case of a guy carrying a team all year. Bourque had equal first place votes and more second place votes than Messier for the Hart. Controversially, Edmonton journalists intentionally left Bourque off the ballot entirely(Refusing him even 3rd place votes), which in turn allowed Messier to win the Hart by 1 point.

90-91 = 94 points in 76 games and 4th in Hart voting, Lead the Bruins in scoring(Again).

93-94 = 91 points in 72 games and 6th in Hart voting

All 6 of those years are better than Lidstrom's best. To top it off, Bourque has a few other years that are equal to Lidstrom best(87-88, 92-93 and 95-96)

In almost all of those years, he was also considered the best Defensive Defenseman in the NHL(Once or twice Chelios and Langway snuck into that title)

It really comes down to something Hockey outsider outlined. Bourque was top 3 for the Norris for 15 years of his career(Top 2 for the Norris 10 times), and was top 4(All star Selections) for 19 years of his 22 year career.

Lidstrom in his 17 year career was top 3 for the Norris 10 times and top 4 among defensemen 10 times.

Another note is Hart voting. Huge edge to Bourque in this category.

Now I will say that Bourque's individual accomplishments in his first 6 years in the league (1980-1985) outweigh Lidstrom's 1st five years in the league (1992-1997), while Lidstrom has had a much better career at the end than Bourque.

So how does Bourque rate higher than Lidstrom, aside from career points, which we all know is subjective because of the era's they played in.

All outlined and addressed above.

Bourque was top 3 for the Norris for 15 years of his career(Top 2 for the Norris 10 times), and was top 4(All star Selections) for 19 years of his 22 year career.

Lidstrom in his 17 year career was top 3 for the Norris 10 times and top 4 among defensemen 10 times.

Last edited:

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
So how does Bourque rate higher than Lidstrom, aside from career points, which we all know is subjective because of the era's they played in.

** Warning: very long post **

Here's how they compare in Hart, Norris and all-star voting, which are reasonable indicators for individual success.

Hart trophy voting
Player|First|Second|Third|Fourth|Fifth|Total
Bourque |0|2|0|1|2|5
Lidstrom|0|0|0|1|0|1

Bourque was a Hart finalist five times, and was runner-up to Gretzky ('87) and Messier ('90). That's right, Bourque almost certainly would have won the Hart in 1987 if not for Gretzky's 183 point season -- he was far ahead of the players in 3rd and 4th. Bourque has a massive 5-1 lead in this category.

Norris trophy voting
Player|First|Second|Third|Fourth|Fifth|Total
Bourque |5|6|4|4|0|19
Lidstrom|6|3|1|0|0|10

Despite winning one fewer Norris, Bourque has has a massive 19-10 edge in seasons as Norris finalist. Bourque has a stunning fifteen seasons where he finished in the top three in Norris voting -- no other defenseman in history has more than ten. I would gladly trade Lidstrom's 1 additional Norris win for Bourque's additional nine years of being a top-five defensemen. I think most objective hockey fans would, as well.

All-star selections
Player|1st team|2nd team|Total
Bourque |13|6|19
Lidstrom|9|1|10

Again, Bourque has a huge edge here. Aside from Gordie Howe, Bourque was the most consistently elite player in NHL history. He was a 1st-team all-star as a rookie (1980), in the year of his retirement (proving he could adapt to the modern NHL at age 41, in 2001), and seventeen times in between.

I think this indicates, pretty clearly, that Bourque had more individual success than Lidstrom. (So far, anyway). Obviously we should look at the context (did one player face tough competition? were the voters biased against one of them?) but this is a pretty decent case that Bourque was the more individually accomplished.

Data sources: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=545921, http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=550541

Offense, adjusted to peer groups

Somebody once said "It's no secret that the years Ray was in his prime offense was way higher than today"... I agree with this position and, frankly, it's impossible to deny it. The key point is, even after accounting for the fact that Bourque played in a higher scoring era, he's still ahead of Lidstrom, statistically.

A good way of looking at this is: how did they compare to their peer groups? I'm comparing Lidstrom (during his first sixteen seasons, from 1992-2009) and Bourque (during his first seventeen seasons, 1980-96). Yes, scoring was higher during Bourque's era, but that doesn't matter because both players are compared against their peer groups here.

Player|Rank in games|Rank in goals|Rank in assists|Rank in points|Rank in Pts per GP
Bourque |4th|38th|3rd|7th|28th
Lidstrom|1st|81st|4th|16th|63rd

Again, the fact that Bourque played in a higher-scoring era is irrelevant since both players are compared directly to their peers. Lidstrom ranked 6th in assists, 18th in points, and 1st in games played. Over his first seventeen seasons (1980-96), Bourque was even more dominant offensively - he ranked 3rd in assists (behind only Gretzky and Coffey) and was 7th in scoring. Bourque was the vastly superior goal-scorer and was the better offensive player overall, adjusted for era.

Defense

Personally I think they're about even. I think that Lidstrom was better at even-strength as he played more conservatively than Bourque, but I think Bourque was superior on the penalty kill because he was stronger & more aggressive than Lidstrom and was thus better able to clear opponents away from the crease on the PK. I've watched hundreds of games from both and I think it would be tough to make an argument that either player is significantly better than the other here.

I don't think that plus/minus is a good indicator of defensive play for many reasons... but I will note that Bourque's plus/minus rating is +528 versus +409 for Lidstrom, despite the fact that Bourque played on weaker teams for almost his entire career. On a per-game basis, Bourque still has the higher plus-minus rating. Again, I don't think plus/minus is a useful stat, but some people do, so they might as well have access to this data.

Discipline

The conventional argument is that Bourque's physical play gives him an edge over Lidstrom. While I agree that it's an advantage, Bourque's marginally more reckless style also means that he spends more time in the penalty box.

Over the span of their careers, Lidstrom had 442 PIM in 1,330 games (average per 82 games = 27 PIM per year). Bourque had 1,167 PIM in 1,691 games (average per 82 games = 57 PIM). That works out to an extra 15 minor penalties per year... assuming an 80% PK rate, Bourque's penalties cost his team an extra 3 goals per year. That's a small advantage for Lidstrom, but it's worth considering.

Playoffs

Although Lidstrom gets the edge, I want to emphasize that Bourque was a dominant playoff performers. Bourque lost twice in the Stanley Cup finals to the dynasty Edmonton Oilers -- and although I don't like to go into hypotheticals too much, I personally don't think that any team from the past decade, including Lidstrom's Wings, could have defeated the dynasty Oilers. Bourque had "bad timing" since he peaked when the NHL's last true dynasty peaked.

Bourque had multiple Smythe-calibre performances (as did Lidstrom, who indeed won the trophy once). In 1988 Bourque must have played 35 min per game, finished 7th overall and 1st among defensemen in playoff scoring, and at +16 he was the only player on his team in the dougle digits. In 1991, Bourque again played around 35 min per game, and finished 6th overall and 1st among defensemen in PO scoring. His worst PO run in Boston, when he went to the SC finals, was in 1990, when he was still 1st in PO scoring among defensemen (12th overall) and had a higher plus/minus rating than any player not on the Oilers. Bourque was also great in 1983 (Bruins lost in conference finals to the dynasty Islanders) despite Bourque's 23 pts in 17 games.

Bourque really only played on a stacked team twice in his career and in those two years, he won 1 Cup and went to the conference finals the other time. I don't deny that Lidstrom has had more team playoff success, but based on the strength of their individual playoff performances, I see them as nearly equal.

Durability

Through 17 seasons, Lidstrom played in 1,252 of a possible 1,280 games (97.7% availability). Through his first 17 seasons, Bourque played in 1,228 of a possible 1,338 games (91.8% availability). Assuming an 82-game schedule, this means that Lidstrom is available to play in an extra 5 games per year.

2004-05 lockout

Lidstrom missed an entire season due to the 2004-05 lockout. A lot of people forget that 2004 was easily Lidstrom's worst season in a decade (offense deteriorating due to losing PP time, and finishing out of the top five in Norris voting), so it's not like he was a lock to be a Norris finalist. Still, he obviously rebounded from that down year and he certainly could have added to his legacy.

Quality of competition

Bourque faced significantly tougher competition than Lidstrom. Here's a comparison of the players they faced three or more times in each of the years they were top five in Norris voting.

Bourque: Coffey (x11), Robinson (x5), Chelios (x5), Stevens (x5), Leetch (x5), MacInnis (x5) Langway (x5), Murphy (x4), Howe (x4), Housley (x4), Wilson (x4)

Lidstrom: Pronger (x5), Blake (x5), Gonchar (x4), Niedermayer (x3), Chara (x3)

Bourque faced off against eight HOF defensemen at least four times each, plus three borderline HOFers. Lidstrom faced off against at most four HOF defensemen. Not only did he face a lower number of HOF calibre defensemen, he faced them fewer times on average (5.6 times for Bourque vs 4.0 times for Lidstrom). This simple comparison shows that Bourque faced tougher, and more frequent, high-end competition.

Overall

Bourque has the edge in Hart voting, Norris voting, all-star voting, offense (relative to peer groups), quality of competition, and physical play. Defense is too close to call. Lidstrom has the Smythe and a small edge in playoff performances, and the edge in durability and discipline. Both players are in my top 20 all-time, but I think Bourque was a bit better, for a bit longer. I will keep an open mind; Lidstrom could pass Bourque with several more Hart and Norris calibre seasons.

Last edited:

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
My favorite post of all time, lol. Great job (as usual) Hockey Outsider!

I will only note that there seems to be a typo in the "Playoffs" section:

His worst PO run in Boston, when he went to the SC finals, was in 1990

Obviously you meant "best".

Another notable point for the playoffs section is Ray's clutch play and scoring. Bourque and Cam literally carried the B's in the post season, both of them logging ridiculous amounts of ice time (with Ray far ahead of course as a defensman).

In the triple-overtime game one of the '90 SCF's Ray played well over an hour, (and Cam said that he played more in that one game than his entire last season in Vancouver, lol). Down 2-0 late in the 3rd period, Ray single-handedly generated four or five great scoring chances eventually scoring two goals himself to force overtime.

Lidstrom is obviously a great clutch player as well of course, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
Yeah Hockey Outsider, this amazing longevity you mentioned of Ray Bourque's is why he's also better than Harvey and it doesn't matter to me if jekyll thinks harvey is better. Bourque accomplished more in his career. 1600 career points and 19 all star selections will never be beaten by another defencemen, Bourque is my #2 of all times. His career is even better than Lemieux's.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Yeah Hockey Outsider, this amazing longevity you mentioned of Ray Bourque's is why he's also better than Harvey and it doesn't matter to me if jekyll thinks harvey is better. Bourque accomplished more in his career. 1600 career points and 19 all star selections will never be beaten by another defencemen, Bourque is my #2 of all times. His career is even better than Lemieux's.

I disagree, but I see your POV. Harvey is basically even with Bourque offensively, adjusted for era. He was likely better than Bourque defensively, and was arguably the most clutch defenseman of all-time. Also keep in mind that careers tended to be shorter in the Original Six era and, in general, players had shorter peaks, which works to Harvey's disadvantage. With that said, Bourque provided more years of elite play (i.e. top 5 at his position) than every player in history except Howe. If you place a higher emphasis on longevity/consistency than I do, I could see the argument for placing Bourque higher.

My favorite post of all time, lol. Great job (as usual) Hockey Outsider!

I will only note that there seems to be a typo in the "Playoffs" section:

Obviously you meant "best".

Thanks! Actually, I said that was arguably the worst playoffs when he made it to the Stanley Cup finals as a Bruin (so his other SC Finals seasons were even better).

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
I have to disagree.
While Ray's numbers were of course a little lower than his usual playoff average, (missing 4 games due to injury as well), he was as big a defensive beast as any defenseman can be. And when his defense alone wasn't going to be enough (as it had been against the Habs and the Caps), he turned up the offense (the aforementioned game one of the finals)....of course it turned out not to be enough that year....

....but the next year, with Cam and Ray both at their peak, the Bruins went on to win the Stanley Cup....

oh wait....Ulf Samuelsson. :banghead:

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
I have to disagree.
While Ray's numbers were of course a little lower than his usual playoff average, (missing 4 games due to injury as well), he was as big a defensive beast as any defenseman can be. And when his defense alone wasn't going to be enough (as it had been against the Habs and the Caps), he turned up the offense (the aforementioned game one of the finals)....of course it turned out not to be enough that year....

....but the next year, with Cam and Ray both at their peak, the Bruins went on to win the Stanley Cup....

oh wait....Ulf Samuelsson. :banghead:
There are few defensemen I rate ahead of Bourque, but Harvey is one of them.

Ill just repost my post regarding Harvey.

Bourque, while one of my favorite players, just is not at Harvey's level. Harvey's peak was ridiculous. He was THE best defensive defenseman and Penalty killer ever to lace up the skates and was also the second best offensively at the same time(Red Kelly taking a slight lead there).

You want to compare their competition for the Norris trophy? Bourque's field was larger, while Harvey's had Red Kelly(Who was better than any of Bourque's top competition), followed by Gadsby, a guy who rightfully ranks ahead of many of Bourque's top competition. Gadsby is ahead of Macinnis, Leetch, Stevens, Langway, Howe, etc, while Kelly at his best was equal to or better than Potvin, Robinson, Chelios or Coffey. Had the Norris existed in 52-53, Harvey would have an 8th to add to his collection.

Harvey's competition was very stiff. Trying to imply he had easy competition is wrong.

Harvey was, in my opinion, the most important player on that Habs dynasty while he was there. He was certainly their best playoff performer. Bourque was no playoff slouch himself, but compared to Harvey? He just doesn't compare. Few players do.
Hockey Outsider did a graph regarding how much the Habs scoring went up or down during their cup winning years, and I was no surprise that Harvey's numbers jumped through the roof in those years.
Offensive Production: regular season PPG vs playoffs PPG on the 11 Stanley Cup winning teams
Minimum 250 RS games and 40 PO games

Player|RegSeason|Playoffs|%Change
Doug Harvey | 0.56 | 0.82 | 46.4
J.C. Tremblay | 0.52 | 0.75 | 44.2
Bernie Geoffrion | 1.11 | 1.39 | 25.2
Dickie Moore | 1.03 | 1.16 | 12.6
Maurice Richard | 0.94 | 1.05 | 11.7
Yvan Cournoyer | 0.88 | 0.94 | 6.8
Jacques Lemaire | 0.86 | 0.91 | 5.8
Jacques Laperriere | 0.41 | 0.43 | 4.9
Jean Beliveau | 1.16 | 1.19 | 2.6
Terry Harper | 0.19 | 0.18 | -5.3
Ralph Backstrom | 0.6 | 0.54 | -10
Henri Richard | 0.83 | 0.74 | -10.8
Ted Harris | 0.28 | 0.24 | -14.3
Claude Provost | 0.62 | 0.51 | -17.7
John Ferguson | 0.56 | 0.46 | -17.9
Bobby Rousseau | 0.91 | 0.64 | -29.7
Tom Johnson | 0.35 | 0.24 | -31.4
Don Marshall | 0.4 | 0.27 | -32.5
Jean-Guy Talbot | 0.27 | 0.18 | -33.3
Claude Larose | 0.44 | 0.25 | -43.2
Bob Turner | 0.18 | 0.09 | -50

Bourque's longevity edge vs the Peak edge and playoff edge Harvey possesses does not close the gap in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad