Proposal: Boston and Vancouver

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Seeing several mocks now where because of MTL needing a center, Kotkaniemi, Zadina, Hughes and Bouchard get taken 3 to 6. Leaving Vancouver on the board looking for D but with Tkachuk and Wahlstrom being the next best players.

So lets say we get to 7 and Tkachuk is on the board.

Bruins are overflowing with young LD. Krug, Zboril, Lauzon, Vaakaneinen, Grzelcyk. Some of those guys can be a center piece for #7 and some can't.

Is there a deal around Krug, Zboril+ or Vaakaneinen+ that would interest the Canucks?

I'd start by throwing Zboril + Heinen + B prospect of need to Canucks out there.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
We're good on LD. Unless a young top pairing guy like Hanifin coming back, there is no reason to think about it.

We need RHD. One of Boqvist, Bouchard or Dobson will be there. Otherwise Wahlstrom is a great consolation prize.

This is a big year for our prospect pool. I don't think we would consider trading out of the first round. We would want a slightly lower first rounder coming back.

Reactions: wintersej

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
God awful. At least offer 1 good piece. This is just terrible with little thought put in for Vancouver’s needs and wants here

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
God awful. At least offer 1 good piece. This is just terrible with little thought put in for Vancouver’s needs and wants here

I wasn't aware of the LD/RD needs (thought just D, didn't realize specifically RD) but to say no good pieces? Heinen would be a first liner for the Canucks? Zboril is a #13OA pick that is making his push for the NHL this season?

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
I wasn't aware of the LD/RD needs (thought just D, didn't realize specifically RD) but to say no good pieces? Heinen would be a first liner for the Canucks? Zboril is a #13OA pick that is making his push for the NHL this season?
He’s also in like his draft +4 year with ZERO nhl experience! He’s not a good piece. He’s a throw in prospect that once had potential but is at the point of “we never made anything of him, so here you try” point. Heinen is meh, have enough tweener types. If he’s not a sure fire scorer (which he isn’t, you would offer him if he was) than what’s the point? I’d rather just try out the many LHD I have in OJ, Hutton or even McEney before I waste another Top10 draft pick on projects from other teams trying to accelerate a rebuild that’s already 2 years behind!
Go used car salesmen somewhere else bud. 7th overall should be available for better than Hanifin types. Not this garbage

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
He’s also in like his draft +4 year with ZERO nhl experience! He’s not a good piece. He’s a throw in prospect that once had potential but is at the point of “we never made anything of him, so here you try” point. Heinen is meh, have enough tweener types. If he’s not a sure fire scorer (which he isn’t, you would offer him if he was) than what’s the point? I’d rather just try out the many LHD I have in OJ, Hutton or even McEney before I waste another Top10 draft pick on projects from other teams trying to accelerate a rebuild that’s already 2 years behind!
Go used car salesmen somewhere else bud. 7th overall should be available for better than Hanifin types. Not this garbage

Draft + 3. You realize that Josh Morrissey was drafted at #13 OA in 2013 and JUST broke out?

21 year old Zboril has played ONE season in the AHL and he is a bust? ONE! That cracks me up. Can I bookmark this for when Boqvist has played one season in the AHL and is now "a bust"? Demko? Bust. Lind? Bust. Gaudette hasn't even made it to the AHL yet at 21! HUGE bust.

And lol that "you offered Heinen so he must not be good". The whole point of including him was to make it a good offer. 22 year old 50 point rookies are garbage. I can't even.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Rumors last week had the Bruins kicking the tires on Vancouver’s first-round pick (No. 7) in the upcoming draft. Jim Benning, the Canucks’ GM, was part of the Boston front office when Torey Krug had his coming-out in the 2013 playoffs. The Canucks need backline help. Alex Edler, 32, was their top producer back there last season with 34 points. Krug has averaged 55 points over the last two seasons

Sunday Hockey Notes" For the Rangers, an infusion of youth and a slew of NHL Draft picks - The Boston Globe

Reactions: PeanutButter37

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Draft + 3. You realize that Josh Morrissey was drafted at #13 OA in 2013 and JUST broke out?

21 year old Zboril has played ONE season in the AHL and he is a bust? ONE! That cracks me up. Can I bookmark this for when Boqvist has played one season in the AHL and is now "a bust"? Demko? Bust. Lind? Bust. Gaudette hasn't even made it to the AHL yet at 21! HUGE bust.

And lol that "you offered Heinen so he must not be good". The whole point of including him was to make it a good offer. 22 year old 50 point rookies are garbage. I can't even.
Canucks already have a defenceman in the same position of development. Why bother risking putting our own guy further out for a maybe from another team? What does this serve to Vancouver? You also just listed off 3 forward prospects Vancouver needs to insert into the lineup over the next few years to see what we’ve got. 1 of those just had a 1.3ppg year in the WHL. You also missed big body bruising forward Gadjovich. Why does Vancouver need more middle 6ers? We have two RFA’s in the middle 6 who we might not even want to retain!

You’ve done a good job of getting your team value for middle of the pack to mediocre piece. What does this do for Vancouver? Long term? Short term? Anything.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Canucks already have a defenceman in the same position of development. Why bother risking putting our own guy further out for a maybe from another team? What does this serve to Vancouver? You also just listed off 3 forward prospects Vancouver needs to insert into the lineup over the next few years to see what we’ve got. 1 of those just had a 1.3ppg year in the WHL. You also missed big body bruising forward Gadjovich. Why does Vancouver need more middle 6ers? We have two RFA’s in the middle 6 who we might not even want to retain!

You’ve done a good job of getting your team value for middle of the pack to mediocre piece. What does this do for Vancouver? Long term? Short term? Anything.

Oh by your criteria I thought OJ was a bust already? I understand now that the Canucks need RD more than LD according to their fans... although I would argue the long term LD view on the team is less rosy than Canucks fans think. So I understand if the offer in the OP didn't check the exact checkmarks. Thats why it was full of questions and options.

Danton Heinen is way better than you think. Better than every Vancouver young player aside from the big 3. 47 in 77 at 22. With career 4th liner Riley Nash and David Backes as his primary line mates. At 5 on 5 no Vancouver Canuck outscored Danton Heinen last year. I realize that both Boeser and Horvat missed time, but even on a per 60 basis, Heinen was better than Horvat and just a smidge behind Brock. I am not suggesting Heinen is in the same tier as those guys, but his two way play and the way he thinks the game ooze young Loui Eriksson. I don't fault you for not knowing about every player out there. I didn't know Vancouver fans still valued Hutton and their bottom of the barrel blue line production from the left side. But to come out swinging saying its a garbage offer when you don't know the players involved gets me riled up.

Reactions: Wooren

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Meh. I watched all of Boston through the playoffs. Not one single player stood out to other than Pasta as a player I’d want from that team.

Shanejones

Jun 12, 2018
Eastern passage
Beca
Oh by your criteria I thought OJ was a bust already? I understand now that the Canucks need RD more than LD according to their fans... although I would argue the long term LD view on the team is less rosy than Canucks fans think. So I understand if the offer in the OP didn't check the exact checkmarks. Thats why it was full of questions and options.

Danton Heinen is way better than you think. Better than every Vancouver young player aside from the big 3. 47 in 77 at 22. With career 4th liner Riley Nash and David Backes as his primary line mates. At 5 on 5 no Vancouver Canuck outscored Danton Heinen last year. I realize that both Boeser and Horvat missed time, but even on a per 60 basis, Heinen was better than Horvat and just a smidge behind Brock. I am not suggesting Heinen is in the same tier as those guys, but his two way play and the way he thinks the game ooze young Loui Eriksson. I don't fault you for not knowing about every player out there. I didn't know Vancouver fans still valued Hutton and their bottom of the barrel blue line production from the left side. But to come out swinging saying its a garbage offer when you don't know the players involved gets me riled up.
The only player you have that Van would want would be McAvoy.thats what we need, good young defence, the rest of our young players who will be joining the team over the next year or two are going to be great additions.

Fact for you, Van is said to
Have one of if not the best prospect pool coming up, intact, they have 5 of the top rated 80 including the hands down #1, so,I think we will be just fine without a deal with Boston unless they pass us what we want/need, reason being what pick does Boston have in the first round this draft.....exactly

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

We're not offering them for a top 10 pick this year though. Bust isn't accurate, but for a player with little fan fair, his inclusion in the deal isn't appealing to us. It's offering small change for our dollar.

I won't say his name, but there is one guy I would gladly trade for a package including our 7th overall pick, otherwise....we'll just use it to draft (if the OP is accurate in who is on the board) Boquist or Dobson. Although I am sure one of Hughes or Bouchard will be there, someone is taking Tkachuk.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
There was a time a couple/few years ago i would have drove Krug to an airport....To go anywhere. That is not the case anymore. He is a far better player today then 2-3 years ago. Boston does have options now though and the salary cap is in play as well as Krug will be looking for more money when his deal is up. We will not be able to pay him for what he brings.
That said i have not yet looked at the draft kids who might be around at 7. This team is built to win, losing Krug without getting an impact player back would hurt us.

I think if they trade Krug it should be for an offensive top 6 winger plus....Or part of a package for a TOP PAIRING DMAN.

Just a draft pick would not be ideal for this team.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I think Krug alone is pretty close to being worth the #7 pick. How many 59 point D are there in the league? Not too many, Krug is in very select company there. That doesn't mean that this deal works for the Canucks but the value Boston would be giving is more than the 7th as far as I am concerned.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014

I guesd noone cared about Jets 16-17, but Morrissey played that season aswell, so Zobril needs to play full time coming season

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
I think Krug alone is pretty close to being worth the #7 pick. How many 59 point D are there in the league? Not too many, Krug is in very select company there. That doesn't mean that this deal works for the Canucks but the value Boston would be giving is more than the 7th as far as I am concerned.
Vancouver isn’t in the same position as say a loaded lineup who failed in the playoffs or just missed like winnipeg! A defenceman quickly reaching 30 even though he’s good is exactly what Vancouver should be avoiding in its place right now. You can probably give me somebody diatribe of why he’s that valuable. But to be quite honest, I don’t care. He’s at the wrong end of his career for a team like Vancouver.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I would think you'd have to be offering Carlo and a 2nd. Would probably make The Canucks have a discussion as he would play a big part in solidifying their RHD for the next decade.
As a Bruins fan I don't know if I'd do it or not but - I'd think that would be around the price tag.

Bruins could roll McAvoy, K. Miller and McQuaid down the right side next year.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Beca

The only player you have that Van would want would be McAvoy.thats what we need, good young defence, the rest of our young players who will be joining the team over the next year or two are going to be great additions.

Fact for you, Van is said to
Have one of if not the best prospect pool coming up, intact, they have 5 of the top rated 80 including the hands down #1, so,I think we will be just fine without a deal with Boston unless they pass us what we want/need, reason being what pick does Boston have in the first round this draft.....exactly

Don't think The Canucks have assets to get McAvoy. Or at least not anything they'd be willing to move. Love Boeser and he'd look great in Boston but there'd have to be significant add (like the 7th to get the Bruins to think about it) as top pairing RHD might be the most valuable position nowadays, never mind as a rookie.

Carlo's only 21 and, though not McAvoy, will be playing 1st or 2nd pairing for the next 10-15 years.

Not really a reason for Boston to move either player as they're in an enviable position on the the right side that most teams dream of and is one of those roster decisions league-wide that you're like 'O.k., that's taken care of for the next decade.'

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Vancouver isn’t in the same position as say a loaded lineup who failed in the playoffs or just missed like winnipeg! A defenceman quickly reaching 30 even though he’s good is exactly what Vancouver should be avoiding in its place right now. You can probably give me somebody diatribe of why he’s that valuable. But to be quite honest, I don’t care. He’s at the wrong end of his career for a team like Vancouver.

First of all I plainly stated that this might not be a deal that appeals to the Canucks. Krug is 27, he's at the peak of his career right now and it should be that way for a few more years if he does what most players with his abilities do. I happen to think he is going to play at this level or reasonably close to it for a considerable amount of time, he has gotten better every year up to this point. I'm not going to agree that he is too old for the Canucks, I just think that the Canucks have other pressing needs that they might want to address first. He's 27, I don't get the "quickly reaching 30" comment, he's a little younger than Tanev and a little older than Gudbranson so those guys don't have a place on the team either?

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
The only 2 players I'd even consider moving the 7OV pick for are McAvoy and Pasta. Neither would get moved and rightfully so. This team is not a Krug away from contending, we need to maximize this pick preferably in a RHD like Bouchard or Dobson- I have no interest in Boqvist.

This trade seems odd anyways, with the emergence of McAvoy and Debrusk, Boston opened up another short term window with Bergeron, Krejci and Chara still in the fold. Moving Krug wouldn't be smart until McAvoy and Debrusk are coming off of their ELC's and need to be paid.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle

Gaudette’s in the NHL pal. I don’t agree with his reasoning but Zboril is reaaaaallly not interesting at all

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->