Confirmed with Link: Borowiecki Signs 2 Years AAV of $1.2 million ($1.2M in both years)

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Agreed, he needs to pick his spots a bit more. I wouldn’t be surprised if we brought in a forward who can handle some of that in the off season.

Matt Hendricks maybe?

Boro could use some support. The UFA players that could fit that role are: Patrick Maroon, Antoine Roussel, Chris Stewart, Ryan Reaves, Jordan Nolan, Jared Boll, Zac Rinaldo, Anthony Peluso, Luke Gazdic, PC Labrie, Brandon Mashinter, Tom Sestito, Darren Archibald

The majority on this list would likely be given two way contracts instead of getting a full time NHL gig. Maroon and Roussel are quality bottom six forwards so they would be the best targets. Reaves and Nolan could also be good options for cheap as they are fairly mobile, can hit and can play a decent defensive role.

Reactions: Cosmix

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Opposite for me.

I'm nearly completely an eye test guy, and this year I have loved the way he's played as a #6, but every year prior thought he shouldn't be playing in the NHL.

Ha! Very true and in fact I thought of your posts when I wrote this but thought, "Surely I can't be held to 100% accuracy! Some eye test people won't like him just like some stats guys will still enjoy the intangibles".

I think he has been very up and down throughout his NHL career. The last 2 years in particular when he can try to shut down the left side before the play begins is obviously working to his strengths but at the same time the poor decision making makes the misses much more noticeable and costly.

He will never be a consistently good D in our zone though. Not enough skill to get to and then move the puck effectively...but clearing the net, not much of an issue with how he handles that.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Boro could use some support. The UFA players that could fit that role are: Patrick Maroon, Antoine Roussel, Chris Stewart, Ryan Reaves, Jordan Nolan, Jared Boll, Zac Rinaldo, Anthony Peluso, Luke Gazdic, PC Labrie, Brandon Mashinter, Tom Sestito, Darren Archibald

The majority on this list would likely be given two way contracts instead of getting a full time NHL gig. Maroon and Roussel are quality bottom six forwards so they would be the best targets. Reaves and Nolan could also be good options for cheap as they are fairly mobile, can hit and can play a decent defensive role.

I guess McCormick will play that role too, but I wonder if he plays every night next year. Maybe he’s a 13th forward? So, I wonder if we go get a tough guy up front knowing we will have McCormick too.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I guess McCormick will play that role too, but I wonder if he plays every night next year. Maybe he’s a 13th forward? So, I wonder if we go get a tough guy up front knowing we will have McCormick too.

McCormick is more of a pest than an enforcer. I think they will be looking to add toughness this offseason because there is a good chance that multiple prospects will be given spots next year. White, Chlapik, Paul, Gagne, Brown, Formenton and Batherson will all be pushing for spots. Plus if we draft them one of Dahlin, Zadina, Svechnikov or Tkachuk could be pushing for a spot as well. Nick Paul is waiver eligible so I think he likely makes the team.

In order to make the prospects feel comfortable and to make sure liberties aren't taken I think we take a serious look at Ryan Reaves or Jordan Nolan. Both can play a 4th line role and both are big hitters and intimidating fighters. I don't know how that impacts McCormick or whether he is given a roster spot because of his contract.

We usually carry a fighter in the AHL as well. So I could see the Sens signing one of Gazdic, Peluso, Labrie, Sestito or Mashinter to a two way contract.

Overall it seems like the best strategy to go with for both the organization and the fans. Instead of filling out the roster with cheap nhl vets and borderline ahl players we can fill it out with a bunch of prospects with high upside and then supplement it with a bit of toughness. It will certainly make the Sens a lot more entertaining next season.

Reactions: aragorn

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I still remember McCormick stepping up to take on Darnell Nurse a couple of years ago - yikes. Talk about biting off more than you can chew. He can't split the enforcer role with Boro but one of the guys mentioned above can. You just don't want to invest too much in guys like that, or have them taking valuable minutes away from young players...

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
You don't need fighters anymore.

Splitting fighting duties just sounds stupid. If they can play and fight, sure. But not guys who fight because thats the only way they can impact a hockey game.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Boro best season. And guess what (as I’ve stated before) it’s had NOTHING to do with his toughness. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Zilch. Nada. He’s playing good HOCKEY. Not good Fighting. Or good grit. Or good glue. Just flat out good hockey. Clearly he’s made a change philosophically. And kudos to him. You can see him actually recognizing the right play on the ice and at least attempting to make it.
Although he did have a pretty hilarious icing there in the third lol. But guess what. That play didn’t dominate the GDT because GUESS WHAT he’s not f***ing up every. Single. Shift.

Reactions: swiftwin and DrEasy

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Boro best season. And guess what (as I’ve stated before) it’s had NOTHING to do with his toughness. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Zilch. Nada. He’s playing good HOCKEY. Not good Fighting. Or good grit. Or good glue. Just flat out good hockey. Clearly he’s made a change philosophically. And kudos to him. You can see him actually recognizing the right play on the ice and at least attempting to make it.
Although he did have a pretty hilarious icing there in the third lol. But guess what. That play didn’t dominate the GDT because GUESS WHAT he’s not ****ing up every. Single. Shift.
That concussion & hand injury might have something to do with changing the way he plays.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
You don't need fighters anymore.

Splitting fighting duties just sounds stupid. If they can play and fight, sure. But not guys who fight because thats the only way they can impact a hockey game.

You don't need fighting as much as you need physical players that can hit, are willing to battle in the dirty areas and are willing to rough it up in scrums. Fighting and enforcing are still useful, it is just that there utility is much less important than it has been in the past. The key thing that is relevant is intimidation. That actually impacts performance. Given the fact that we are likely to be giving roster spots to multiple prospects next season and that younger players tend to be easier to intimidate than older players the Sens could benefit by adding more toughness. A player like Jordan Nolan or Ryan Reaves would work fine. They are both capable 4th liners, they are big hitters and can play a solid defensive role. They are also both fairly mobile as well. As a 12th or 13th forward they would be helpful to have around.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Fun fact: This is the only season of Boro’s career that he has more than 1 goal. He has 3 in 37 games.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Although he did have a pretty hilarious icing there in the third lol. But guess what. That play didn’t dominate the GDT because GUESS WHAT he’s not ****ing up every. Single. Shift.

Pure craziness here! He hasn't made a philosophical change man, the system the team plays has changed, and Boro has been given a more rounded and less scripted defensive role.

It has everything to do with toughness, grit and glue. Every single time Boro is mentioned by anyone team related they gush over his toughness (the taking the pain and gutting it out kind), his hits, leadership etc... The above stuff is still there, and what got Boro to the NHL, the change in GBs system, and the refocus of Boro to play a more rounded game means that he has the chance and support to show case his other (albeit limited) defensive skills.

Without his hits, grit, toughness, and locker room glue character, Boro would not be in the NHL, even with his much more effective play this season. The better play has made him a solid roster player for the team (instead of the incessant 7 d-man talk) who can contribute in more ways to the team, and more importantly shut this forum up about him for a year ;)

I agree with the idea that he doesn't need to focus on fighting, he's not great at it, though fearless, and it's not actually the best use of his skills. I think the freedom to play a more rounded game means that he doesn't feel like he has to fight guys to stay in the league anymore. He seems to like hitting, and knows that it's his bread and butter.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Pure craziness here! He hasn't made a philosophical change man, the system the team plays has changed, and Boro has been given a more rounded and less scripted defensive role.

It has everything to do with toughness, grit and glue. Every single time Boro is mentioned by anyone team related they gush over his toughness (the taking the pain and gutting it out kind), his hits, leadership etc... The above stuff is still there, and what got Boro to the NHL, the change in GBs system, and the refocus of Boro to play a more rounded game means that he has the chance and support to show case his other (albeit limited) defensive skills.

Without his hits, grit, toughness, and locker room glue character, Boro would not be in the NHL, even with his much more effective play this season. The better play has made him a solid roster player for the team (instead of the incessant 7 d-man talk) who can contribute in more ways to the team, and more importantly shut this forum up about him for a year ;)

I agree with the idea that he doesn't need to focus on fighting, he's not great at it, though fearless, and it's not actually the best use of his skills. I think the freedom to play a more rounded game means that he doesn't feel like he has to fight guys to stay in the league anymore. He seems to like hitting, and knows that it's his bread and butter.
His toughness isn’t getting him the 5v5 points. It’s not getting him the smart pinches to keep offensive pressure going.

The wild hits that drag him out of position are seemingly gone. That’s a change in philosophy. A change in the way he thinks on the ice. This is not the same boro we have seen in past seasons (quite possibly bottom 3 d man in the entire league.) Not even close. He’s not spinning and slapping the puck out f the zone anymore. Yesterday he like dragged the flames down the wall with his eyes then sling the puck cross ice to Ryan. It actually blew my mind lol. He’s relaxed back there. He’s realizing the big hit is not the point, it’s just a bonus.

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
His toughness isn’t getting him the 5v5 points. It’s not getting him the smart pinches to keep offensive pressure going.

The wild hits that drag him out of position are seemingly gone. That’s a change in philosophy. A change in the way he thinks on the ice. This is not the same boro we have seen in past seasons (quite possibly bottom 3 d man in the entire league.) Not even close. He’s not spinning and slapping the puck out f the zone anymore. Yesterday he like dragged the flames down the wall with his eyes then sling the puck cross ice to Ryan. It actually blew my mind lol. He’s relaxed back there. He’s realizing the big hit is not the point, it’s just a bonus.
His rough style is an also added bonus,anybody that thinks having a tough player will to fight to stand up for team mates....Isnt a need anymore isnt paying attention...Boro did have to learn how to play and he has put the work in to get better,he is a great player to have and his salary is a bargin

Reactions: Cosmix

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Another kid that will shut this board up soon for having a one way deal for next season,will be Macormick

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
You don't need fighting as much as you need physical players that can hit, are willing to battle in the dirty areas and are willing to rough it up in scrums. Fighting and enforcing are still useful, it is just that there utility is much less important than it has been in the past. The key thing that is relevant is intimidation. That actually impacts performance. Given the fact that we are likely to be giving roster spots to multiple prospects next season and that younger players tend to be easier to intimidate than older players the Sens could benefit by adding more toughness. A player like Jordan Nolan or Ryan Reaves would work fine. They are both capable 4th liners, they are big hitters and can play a solid defensive role. They are also both fairly mobile as well. As a 12th or 13th forward they would be helpful to have around.

What we need, are guys who can (and are good enough) do that on the second and third lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad